Replacement Chain

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
When I had a test ride before buying at Redbridge I took ithe KTM a couple of laps around the mountain bike course that runs around the road circuit - I'm no expert but I didn't fall off or have to get off and push. Read up on it (there's a couple or three on this forum) and we all agree it is a low down torquey bike which climbs very well (stick it in high and off you go!). Best get a test ride and see what you reckon.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
When I had a test ride before buying at Redbridge I took ithe KTM a couple of laps around the mountain bike course that runs around the road circuit - I'm no expert but I didn't fall off or have to get off and push. Read up on it (there's a couple or three on this forum) and we all agree it is a low down torquey bike which climbs very well (stick it in high and off you go!). Best get a test ride and see what you reckon.
Unfortunately there isn't anywhere up here to do that so I have to make do with Google! And I have just Googled best e-bike 2014......

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
awol - make sure your new chain is the same length as the old one - the slipping could be caused by incorrect tension?
Good point.
Found the new chain was 2 links longer so removed them, tried it again but still slips on that 7th gear.
Was worth the try though.

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
Octalink is Shimano. You get square taper, Octalink and Hollowtech from Shimano. Three different types of spindle in the BB. The Octalink has a coarse spline, which creaks something rotten. I had to grease mine to stop it.
Oh I see, you learn something new everyday, mine is square taper. The creaking seems to be gone for the moment.

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
I found this link for choosing KMC chains very useful - you will also see they have added an e-bike mid motor choice!
http://www.kmcchain.eu/The_right_chain_for_your_bike
I find KMC outlasts most other makes especially if you keep them clean regulary which is generally a good rub down with an old rag and re-oil once a week (takes 2 minutes) The rustless chain version is well worth it too.
Any idea what the difference is between the KMC X8.93 and X8.99 ?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Reactions: Gubbins

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
How strange is that? I wonder if Google searches are directed in some way based on.. well.. what?
My point was not to say which was the best, but how one might decide which would be the best.
I often Google that phrase and then go through some reviews.
I got this from the electric bike buyers guide 2014 searches for "best e-bike 2014"
Electric Bike Top 10
  1. ***** Kalkhoff Aggatu & Pro-Connect
  2. ***** Momentum
  3. ***** Cytronex
  4. ***** Moustache
  5. ***** Nano Brompton 2.0
  6. ***** Gepida
  7. ***** Sparta
  8. ***** Gazelle
  9. ***** Gepida
  10. ***** Wisper

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I've noticed many times that Google often returns different results on repeated same-term searches, there is no consistency, even minute by minute.

That list looks very A to B Magazine view biased! :D

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
Having decided to continue with my worn chain I took a closer look at the whole drive chain in action and can clearly see the grooves are worn on that small cog No7 and the front pedal cog where the chain is not sitting central in the grooves and the grooves are elongated a tad. So I decided to clean the chain with my chainscrubber and instead of wasting my expensive chain lube I read somewhere you can mix engine oil with white spirits to use on chains. I did that and I believe it's just had it's best oiling yet ! Don't know how long the oil will last but it doesn't matter.
In the meantime I will be looking for bargain 8 speed cassettes and shimano M171 front cogs if anyone knows of any in the near future.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Having decided to continue with my worn chain I took a closer look at the whole drive chain in action and can clearly see the grooves are worn on that small cog No7 and the front pedal cog where the chain is not sitting central in the grooves and the grooves are elongated a tad. So I decided to clean the chain with my chainscrubber and instead of wasting my expensive chain lube I read somewhere you can mix engine oil with white spirits to use on chains. I did that and I believe it's just had it's best oiling yet ! Don't know how long the oil will last but it doesn't matter.
In the meantime I will be looking for bargain 8 speed cassettes and shimano M171 front cogs if anyone knows of any in the near future.
Not heard about he white spirit thing so interested in that! Why do you need to mix them? I have a jar of engine oil to soak my chain in and hang it up to drip overnight. Unfortunately unlike the expensive dry lube stuff it attracts dirt and dust like crazy. I also use that ptfe stuff they sell in halfords.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The white spirit thins the oil and improves penetration. Of course that also allows it to come back out easily. :(

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
I have two chains on the go at the same time, one on the bike and one cleaned and oiled ready for next time.
I use old coffee jars, one to immerse and clean the chain with petrol, one filled with old engine oil to soak the cleaned chain for a few days and one to drain it off so it's ready for use.
Works fine and the oil gets well in and stays on for ages.
As Phill says it does tend to attract dirt a little more than the dry lube but on balance it works better for me.
Riding on the gritty tracks around here I clean all moving parts pretty often anyway.
Dave.

D

Deleted member 4366

Hypoid 90 gear oil is much thicker, so stays on the chain longer. It's very good also for motorbike O-ring chains.

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
Engine oil contains detergents which will penetrate and remove the manufacturer's lubricant in the chain. That lasts a long time on a new chain so it's best to avoid washing it away.

Reactions: flecc

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
I have two chains on the go at the same time, one on the bike and one cleaned and oiled ready for next time.
I use old coffee jars, one to immerse and clean the chain with petrol, one filled with old engine oil to soak the cleaned chain for a few days and one to drain it off so it's ready for use.
Works fine and the oil gets well in and stays on for ages.
As Phill says it does tend to attract dirt a little more than the dry lube but on balance it works better for me.
Riding on the gritty tracks around here I clean all moving parts pretty often anyway.
Dave.
I like the idea of having 2 chains on the go to quickly swap, is there an alternative to petrol for the cleaning/degreasing though, and do you chainscrub it first or just stick it straight in all gunked up?