15mph speed limit

sloth1178

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 24, 2014
Hi guys
I own a volt alpine x bike bought from the election bike store in London and am just wondering how to remove the 15mph speed limiter from this awesome bike. It will be strictly used for off road use on private land so the law doesn't matter.

It has a 250w bafang rear hub motors with pas and throttle.

I've checked the controller from the outside and it just has 2 bundles of wires coming from it none that I can see are looped.

It also has a handle bar display with 3 buttons, +, - , and m.

Many thanks for your help.

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
It depends if the motor is speed limited by volts or via the controller or display.

If it's limited by volts then you need a higher volatge battery.

If it's via the controller it might be programmed (unlikely) or via a speed limit wire - is there a white wire with a connector in the middle? If so, disconnect the connector and try again.

If it's limited via the display, show us a photo of the display.

sloth1178

Aug 24, 2014
Hi thanks for the reply. Will get a picture up tomorrow.
If it makes a different it seems like the motor completely cuts out over 15mph and I'm left to the old fashioned pedeling lol.

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
Why not ask the dealer informally by phone if there's a simple settings change in the display menu first? Just as a point of interest to cover him.

sloth1178

Aug 24, 2014
I have contacted them but they said that it would damage the motor if it went above this speed. Most probably just protecting themselves for the 2 year warranty and the law which is fair enough on their side. I love this bike and am gutted that it is raining today and can't go out :-(

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Pressing +- together for a few a seconds gets you into a settings menu on some of these units _ Might be worth a try?

sloth1178

Aug 24, 2014
20140825_173425.jpg 20140825_173434.jpg OK thanks for your reply. Pics attached.

Pressing m and + together gives me the first picture, selecting y then holding m give me an option to enter a code. I have tried a couple that I have found online but none work.. Any ideas?

I have tried

Thanks very much for your help.

sloth1178

Aug 24, 2014
Just come back from a 10 mile round trip as there was a break in the weather and I got to say I love this bike lol. Awesome. Would be that little bit more awesome if I could remove the speed limit lol.

garyten

Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2014
I think you have the King lcd meter, it is adjustable up to 40 KMH,

DEFAULT PASS NUMDER IS 0512

Try this link for the KM5S and download the instruction manual, it explains how to get the passcode nimbers, and supplys the default codes to get at the Settings menu,

the first 40 odd pages are chinese language then in English.

copy and paste the link below.(I cant get the hyperlink from my tablet)

http://www.king-meter.com/products.php?action=list&type=5

Last edited:

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
It has speed in kmh on the display. It's a geared bafang 250w rear hub motor.
Then it's got to have a speed sensor somwhere on one of the wheels. Find it, follow the wires back to the controller and unplug it and see if the bike still works under power.

Also, have a nosey at garyten's post above.

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
Then it's got to have a speed sensor somwhere on one of the wheels. Find it, follow the wires back to the controller and unplug it and see if the bike still works under power.

Also, have a nosey at garyten's post above.
Or it could possibly take the signal from one of the hall sensor phases.

sloth1178

Aug 24, 2014
Perfect garyten, thanks very much.

From reading those instructions I got in to the speed settings of the controller but it's already set to Max 40kph but tops out at 25-27kph with no assistance after that speed. . Strange. I have adjusted the wheel size but although the speedo reads faster and slower depending on size the wheel seems to spin at the same speed, haven't confirmed this with a separate speedometer but just by eye.

The speed sensor seems to be built into the hub as I cannot see anything else on the bike.

Any ideas?