New boy looking to convert so to speak

Feg

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 24, 2014
I have a sports hybrid, nothing special but not shabby, and am looking to add an electric conversion kit. Any advice will be welcome before I spend my hard earned cash. Mostly going to be used on country roads and tracks with some hills. HELP...... It has disc breaks.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Hi Feg,

Welcome to the forum.

Get some pics up of the bike, and give us all an idea of:

Your weight and fitness
Terrain
Expected speed and range
Style of riding
Mechanical/electrical competence
Clothing preference

...then you will get the best advice.

Reactions: Feg
D

Deleted member 4366

I've just seen the new Oxydrive kits. They kept them quiet. They have several different versions now with front and rear wheel motors, and high and low power. One of them has the Bafang CST motor in a plug-and-play kit with 13ah battery. That's a very nice kit. It'll be fast too (if you want). They're even cheaper than the old ones. It just gets better and better.

http://www.oxydrive.co.uk/

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Feg, you should look at a CD kit. It's good on hills and good on speed, especially the 18A 350W BBS01.
It's a tried and tested recipe, reasonably priced and dead easy to fit.
http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?cdkit

Feg

Sep 24, 2014
Hi folks and thanks. trex, I've been looking at the CD kit as my limited investigations to date keep leading me to it. Are they harsh on gears etc and do they harm your drive train too much - can you learn to be kind with it? I've been looking here http://eclipsebikes.com/bafang-8fun-bbs01-drive-250w-motor-p-1102.html, their batteries look good too. Mike, I will put the details up and d8veh, the Oxydrive kits look really good too - so many choices!

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
The motor will cut out less than half a second after you stop pedalling, so as long as you remember to stop pedalling before changing gears then gear changing is as smooth as with normal bikes. That's the only thing to remember. Alternatively, you can blip the brakes and keep pedalling, that does the same thing.

D

Deleted member 4366

The crunching gear changes with a crank drive won't be so bad if you're light. Obviously, it's worse if you're heavy because there's more tension on the chain. The biggest problem is going up-hill because you can't get the tension off the chain.

Feg

Sep 24, 2014
I suppose I have to make a choice. Having limited personal experience of the various options - my wife's Raleigh Velo Trail is the only pedelec I've been on but it has got me interested - kind of leave me with what my gut feeling says based on everything I've read and been told by you guys. Also, I must remember that this maybe the start of a new relationship, could be a love hate one though if I don't eventually like my choice. I figure that if it's good quality it will be good anyway but with experience I will begin to know what I like and need.

D

Deleted member 4366

You've hardly told us anything about yourself or your bike, which means you can't get suitable recommendations.

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
I have a BBS02,750W and can change gear with no crunches at all.
All it takes is a bit of practice.
As far as hills go,I just put it in the right gear at the bottom then there is no changing to do while the chain is under tension.

Reactions: rippedupno1 and Feg
D

Deleted member 4366

It's not just the changing though. That motor puts more tension on the chain while it's running than Bradley Wiggins does on his bike. I wonder how frequently he changes his chains, and he's a whippet by comparison?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Feg and Kinninvie

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Hello Feg,
I use my bike every day and I'be been riding my bbs 01 conversion now for 3 weeks and love it, I like to have input so find the system is very good depending on conditions and my energy levels.With very little effort 15mph is a doddle, I plod along at 19 - 24 on the flat and up to 27/28 with the thumb throttle which acts a little like a turbo boost ( you can feel it feed in and I notice the difference). On the hills I find I can climb at about 14 and change down if I need to, again on hills the thumb throttle is noticeable. I get about 35 -40 miles per charge in assist level 7 with use of the thumb throttle using up about 70% of the charge available, to get the best out of the cd you do need to change gear to get the best drive rather then just stay in 1 or 2 gears.

Feg

Sep 24, 2014
Loving the feedback and info is coming d8veh, work is getting in the way! Pics will be up tomorrow and my vital stats.

Feg

Sep 24, 2014
Hi folks, pic of bike is up now. I'm 51 and keep myself reasonably fit - I ran the London Marathon last year - not last time please note! I weigh in at a good 87 kg and am about 1.8 cm in height but hopefully my power to weight ratio is better than my BMI. I ride on country roads and tracks around Kent so there are hills and I like riding along the creek path which can be a bit rough. I'm not built like a runner as I'm quite stocky and more than anything, I'm still a big kid when I'm out on my bike. I am still drawn to the CD BBS02 350W but open to challenge that thought.

Feg

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Hi folks, pic of bike is up now. I'm 51 and keep myself reasonably fit - I ran the London Marathon last year - not last time please note! I weigh in at a good 87 kg and am about 1.8 cm in height but hopefully my power to weight ratio is better than my BMI. I ride on country roads and tracks around Kent so there are hills and I like riding along the creek path which can be a bit rough. I'm not built like a runner as I'm quite stocky and more than anything, I'm still a big kid when I'm out on my bike. I am still drawn to the CD BBS02 350W but open to challenge that thought.

Feg
Don't what's gone wrong, but I can't see a picture.....

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
:rolleyes:Could be one of them invisible bikes. Also 350w is BBS01

Feg

Sep 24, 2014
It's my profile/avitar pic - sorry. Here's another oneimage.jpg

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The bike looks nice, the only kit difference to the woosh kit is the battery power. Strange that they market it as a BBS02 and other sites its a BBS01, also see there is now a 14a battery as well other wise I don't think you will be displeased with the end result. The slightly cheaper option is a rear wheel bpm or cst conversion.

Last edited: