Brake cut off levers - Black?

RichB

Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2013
Hi,
Having just installed the BBS01 kit on my Cube mountain bike, there's just one thing that's annoying me.
The brake lever I've fitted from the kit (only fitted one as the brake/shifter is one unit, so just removed the front deraullier and shifter/brake) is a chrome colour. However the stock is a black lever.
Can you get black levers with the cut off switch, as I'd like it to look as 'stock' as possible.
Many thanks,
Rich

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
RichB , do you have cable or hydraulic? The kit levers are functional but really cheap and nasty.

D

Deleted member 4366

Assuming cable brakes, there's loads of options for switches that don't include levers. There's in-line brake switches or you can make your own.

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
You could always paint it black.

RichB

Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2013
Hi,
Cable brakes.
I had thought about painting them but I'm not sure how hard wearing that would be, as I'd imagine that the paint would be prone to chipping/cracking.

I'll have a search for a switch, any recommendations?
Thanks

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Have you considered removing the brake sensor to fit to your hydraulic brake handles? the sensor is a Hall, the lever pushes a rod which moves a 2mm magnet in front of the Hall transistor, turning it on/off.
I imagine a bigger magnet glued to the brake handle may do the same job.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
it has 3 pins - Hall sensor. Simplest solution is to remove the sensor wire (quite easy, it took me just 2 minutes to remove the lever from the handle and push the cable out), remove the existing magnet and replace it with a bigger one.

yello brake connector:

Brake handles:

Reactions: RichB

RichB

Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2013
Thanks for all the info, I'll have a closer look at them when I get home tonight.
Obviously if I could do something with the existing brake levers rather than buying a new set, it would be beneficial.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
This is mine RichB, the magnet has now been replace with two smaller ones(which sit better) using epoxy glue. You will need to cover the exposed hall sensor with a bit of heat shrink to prevent moisture. I was able to drill thru the back of the brake body to insert the heatshrunk cable sensor wire.
Tomorrow I will upload a new pic for you.

Attachments

Reactions: RichB and trex

RichB

Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2013
Thanks Nealh, that pic is useful.
Was a bit dark when I got in but I'll see if this is feasible tomorrow.
Thanks again.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Forgot to mention RichB if you haven't already sussed it.
Place items in a temporary position lift back wheel, apply throttle wheel will rotate then apply brake and magnet should be sensed and power will be cut. This way you can adjust magnet to get the correct proximity for the sensor.
008 break on magnet sensed, throttle disengaged.
007 break off magnet unsensed ,throttle working.

Attachments

Last edited:

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
if you have 3 wires on the controller side, two of the wires are ground and 5V supply, the third wire is the signal. There are two possibilities: brake signal is active low or active high. You need to find that out first. If it's active low, then it's easy, just ignore the 5V wire.

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
if you have 3 wires on the controller side, two of the wires are ground and 5V supply, the third wire is the signal. There are two possibilities: brake signal is active low or active high. You need to find that out first. If it's active low, then it's easy, just ignore the 5V wire.
I'm using these cut out brake:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/The-power-modified-electric-mountain-bike-brake-Power-cut-off-swith/1872462748.html

I'd like to wire it to my controller that has 3 wires. Do you know how I should do that?

Thanks

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
It only has 2 wires. I don't know if it's low or high

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
you can check which wire has 5V, usually red, which is ground, usually black. You only need connecting ground and signal to the brake switch.

Reactions: cwah