Commuter Bike Build

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
I did not like the way I had originally fitted my torque arm as there was only about 1mm clearance between the torque arms middle screwhead and the motors disc rotor screwheads so have got round to designing and fitting a single piece one which aligns with a hole on the frame and gives plenty of clearance.

Attachments

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
**** Happy 1000 miles !!! ****
Wow how those miles really creep up doing 20miles per day.
It's been an eventful first 1000 miles.
I've had floods to cycle though (still do) and maintenance issues to solve, probably related to the bad weather thrown at me,thanks d8veh for the help with that.

Ive had a couple of punctures, I've had my front wheel slammed into by a rabbit at full speed, I've had a bird fly into my head and also came across
the BBC pudsey cycle event crew at 6.30am on a pitch black country lane pouring down with rain, before I even knew they were doing it.

I wasn't happy with the 160mm front disc braking performance and constant squealing, so with help from a recent thread on this subject I
upgraded the front disc to 180mm and now have great performing brakes with occasional squealing when wet.
I've fitted decent 3/4 length mudguards as the cheap plastic things I put on hadn't stopped my back bag being splattered with mud and also a
rear parcel shelf which makes it look like a real commuter now.

I've also fitted a watt meter to monitor battery ah used.
Since I don't want to jeopardize my bike battery range I decided to keep my lights on their own batteries for now and will be monitoring my bike
battery ah used/available with the new watt meter and then again with the lights powered off my bike battery.

All in all one very happy ebiker.

Attachments

Reactions: peerjay56

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
2000 miles has come around quick !!
I had 3 punctures in the first 1000miles so changed the back tyre for a MP+ and put slime in the front tube and have not suffered a puncture since.

The UK weather lately has been horrendous with me and the bike going through deep floods and 40mph head-on winds so strong me and the motor on full almost grind to a standstill going down-hill, hailstorms,ice freezing up my rear brakes a couple times.

I've had a couple of broken spokes which have wasted a couple of evenings urgently replacing so decided I needed to build up a spare motor wheel (I think I should have used spoke washers, thanks Graham at tillercycles) ready to quickly swap over and do maintenance when I've more time.

Now I have the 'ebike bug' changes are in mind but because this is now my main (and favorite) mode of transport to work and limited evening time I need at least a bike always ready to go.

I'm thinking this whole kit is being transferred to a 26" wheeled MTB I got in a sale and am going to use the cannondale to mess about with/backup, thanks to d8veh for off forum help lately and I may be asking the forum for more help along the way. Let's see how it goes.

Attachments

D

Deleted member 4366

Don't catch my disease. In 3 1/2 years, I've been through more than twenty five motors. My BMSB orders alone come to $7500. I must have spent £12000 to £15000 in total during that time, and it still hasn't stopped.

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
Yikes, I hope not. I'm still having to explain to my wife why the backup motor was needed.
Ive took one of your ideas d8veh and have just finished fitting a football bootbag to the pannier rack ready to house a BMSB shrinkwrap type battery tucked in under the seat. Looks good, will do a photo this weekend. Am thinking for a waterproof cover of using my backpack cover which is a nice fit over it.

fishingpaul

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2007
I did feel as though i had a passion for electric bikes,but my passion is killed when lots of money is needed,i still like to see a small saving over what i would of spent on the car in petrol,to help justify my hobby, over7 years i have spent probably less than £1200 net,including buying and selling replacement bikes, replaceing batterries and controllers,over the last three or four years i have probably spent less than £250,including a second hand bike to replace the old torq frame,£ 12000 to £15000 to spare and i would of have had some real fun with high performance motorbikes and cars.

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
So 2500 miles and a fourth snapped spoke means it's time for some maintenance on my first wheel build as I've run out of spare spokes. I am pleased with what it has done but time to build and fit the backup wheel, this time with heavier gauge spokes and a 2x pattern instead of 3x using a bafang 250w CST motor, this will then give me time to strip down/clean/grease and rebuild a wheel with the MXUS motor with the same heavier gauge spokes when I get time.

Attachments

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
New bafang 250w CST wheel built and fitted in the easter sunshine, very similar to the MXUS in terms of power but I think the MXUS is a bit quieter and lighter. The ride feels more solid which gives me confidence in that my second wheel is better built. Also the gears got a good degreasing/refitting adjusting so pedaling and changing gears is smooth and quiet. Notice I've used d8veh's football boot bag idea on the rear shelf to house the controller and space for a future shrink wrap battery if needed. Cheap gel seat cover from Lidl fitted and added spd pedals which I think gains 1mph themselves.
Much more comfortable and pretty much feels like a new bike again. Bring on the next 2500 miles !!

Attachments

Reactions: D8ve

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
1 year on and just short of 5000 miles covered commuting 20 miles to work and back daily, only occasionaly used the car although must admit the bike is my favorite mode of transport whatever the weather.
Original chain and cogs now worn but still work fine together so have decided
to keep using them as a set and carry a chain splitting tool for now until it starts slipping/snap instead of change all the gearing.
The motor is now a 8fun 250w cst because it was a spare wheel I had built up
and have since fitted the mxus motor in a wheel on another bike which I still need to post details about.
The brakes needed more power so have upgraded the calipers for avid BB7 which have helped alot.
All in all a good 1st year cycling and look forward to the next thousands of miles ahead.

Reactions: mfj197 and oigoi

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
A quick tip for users of Cree type headlamps fitted to the handlebar with the original equipment rubber band. Mount the lamp under the bar rather than above it. IT IS MUCH LESS INCLINED TO MOVE WHEN GOING OVER BUMPS.

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Don't catch my disease. In 3 1/2 years, I've been through more than twenty five motors. My BMSB orders alone come to $7500. I must have spent £12000 to £15000 in total during that time, and it still hasn't stopped.
Where do you keep all your bikes? Lol

Robjohnb

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 7, 2014
Just enjoyed reading this thread. I too built a commuter e-bike. Based on full suspension hybrid. Was surprised about broken spokes, can they be over tightened?

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
Just enjoyed reading this thread. I too built a commuter e-bike. Based on full suspension hybrid. Was surprised about broken spokes, can they be over tightened?
I am new to building wheels and I believe it was caused by uneven spoke tension.

Robjohnb

Jun 7, 2014
oh, ok.
I used the "tapping tone" method to try and equal the tension. No problems so far.

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
I have started using that 'pinging the spokes' sound idea to check the wheel every couple of weeks or so and so far my latest wheel appears to be doing ok

Robjohnb

Jun 7, 2014
I've seen a tension measuring device but I'm sure pinging is just as good.

How "true" were you able to get the wheel? I cannot seem to get better than 2 or 3mm. I think this is where the skill comes in.

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
The ghost of Sheldon Brown is screaming "The perfect is the enemy of the good." If I remember right, in a motorcycle MOT you are allowed 2 mm wobble, and remember that motorcycle achieve some pretty high speeds. I would guess that the pinging technique is good enough.

I would also say that wheel building follows nature`s 80 / 20 rule. It will take 20% of the time to achieve only 3 mm wobble, and 80% to get it down to 2 mm. Whatever method you use to measure tension, always remember that in a dished wheel, the tension will be higher on the drive side.

Also consider this. Think of an engine cylinder head. To ensure a gas tight seal, all the head bolts need to be tightened to the same tension. How do we measure this? We use a torque wrench. So why are we not using a miniature torque wrench to check our spoke tension?

Here is another theory. If we have a perfect hub, a perfect rim and perfect spokes, we could achieve a perfectly true wheel with all the spokes at the same tension. All these components are mass produced. Variations are inevitable. How round is that rim, to start with. If you placed it on a surface plate, would it touch all the way round? Is the tensile strength of the metal uniform throughout? I doubt it.

Therefore, to achieve a perfectly round true wheel, the spokes will need slightly different tensions to hold it in shape. We are looking at a good old British compromise. Part science, yes, but importantly part art.

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
How "true" were you able to get the wheel? I cannot seem to get better than 2 or 3mm. I think this is where the skill comes in.
About the same as you Rob, within about 2 or 3mm.
2mm allowed on a motorcycle MOT, that's interesting to know for my future wheel builds afterall I'm not going quite as fast as those.

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
---Happy 5k miles----
Look what I spotted the other day, lucky I looked at the display just when I did.
Could I now consider the whole project paid for it's self by now?
My main battery is still the original 'cheapest at the time' 10ah bottle from BMSB doing me proud and although I've used others every so often (to keep them cycled) I am still using this charged more or less every day for 20 miles and it is still going strong lasting longer than I anticipated.
How many miles could I be likely to see out of it?
IMAG0045.jpg

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
At least you know how much you spent. I spent so much I decided to close my eyes so that I won't get hurt lol