Giant Replacement

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
So, the Esprit wasn't really handling the Welsh hills well and we decided on a Woosh Big Bear LS as a substitute. Having spoken to Hatti about measurements we ordered ( without trying one) this week as they have a 6% price rise at the end of the month. So a heart in mouth moment as we unpacked it yesterday, would it suit?
First impressions: a simple sturdy looking machine, clean and uncluttered. First words from my wife were,'ooh, I like the colour'. So that's alright then! Only had to mount the bars and pedals, then check round nuts and bolts. Wasn't prepared for the size of the tyres, they are fat and knobbly. The handle bars put me in mind of what we used to call 'cow horns', as a lad. Unfortunately by the time the battery was charged is was raining welsh style, so test ride had to wait until today.

Just back from a ten mile shake out ride with many stops for saddle and bar position tweaks and coffee. I think we're getting there. Achieving the very upright, no weight on the wrists, position that my girl seems to like. We had the NCX seat post version and that's working well. (That backward arcing motion is a bit strange at first though.) Gear change is smooth and precise and quiet. The motor, compared to my Ezee Mk2, seems noisier but capable. Not sure yet of comparible speed/power settings. Riding side by side on the flat, both on setting 2, I was pulling away whilst only rotating the pedals, no effort going in. However the Bear got up a vicious switch back hill that has defeated her in the past, so that's good. The front disc brake seems a little wanting, I'm hoping it will bed in with use. The battery clicks nicely onto the integrated controller making a neat unit. Overall build quality seems good and the wiring tidy. So we took a risk ordering without trying but we knew we wanted more power and Dutch styling, I think it's going to work out.
Could this be the beginning of a beautiful friendship?:)

Now, does anyone want a Giant Esprit? Great commuter bike, so long as there's no really serious hills!

Reactions: trex
D

Deleted member 4366

You can get hydraulic brakes from Ebay for about £40. It's a two minute job to change them over, and it'll be the best £40 you ever spent. You only need to change the front one, which is the one that does all the stopping. The only thing you need to check is the hose length. Measure your cable to see how long it is. It doesn't matter if the hose is longer, but, obviously, you can't have it too short.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the front brake rotor needs a couple of rides and a bit of Wesh rain to bed in. If you want to upgrade to hydraulic brakes, woosh have them for about £80 (front and rear) last time I talked to Tony about hydraulic brakes. They are sensored and supplied with 180mm rotors.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
The bedded in performance of a disc brake can be significantly better than straight out of the box.

Light braking is not good for bedding in, and can glaze the pads.

If you want to encourage the process, do two or three emergency stops, hopefully without falling off.

As has been said, some road dirt and grit on the disc will also help.

Cable operated disc brakes - which you have on the Bear - can work well, but their performance does tend to be inferior to hydraulics, not least because only one pad moves.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Thanks for the info on the brakes guys.
I assume if I fitted Ebay ones, this would affect warranty? So I think we'll try Welsh rain and some emergency stops first. Although that might be difficult because there really wasn't much grip at all. I suspect there may be a bit of grease there. The rear brake is a V brake and is wheel locking good. A bit worrying as the wife doesn't have the childhood broadsides experience that I have!
I'm surprised to hear that only one pad moves, does the other stay in contact with the disc?

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Thanks for the info on the brakes guys.
I assume if I fitted Ebay ones, this would affect warranty? So I think we'll try Welsh rain and some emergency stops first. Although that might be difficult because there really wasn't much grip at all. I suspect there may be a bit of grease there. The rear brake is a V brake and is wheel locking good. A bit worrying as the wife doesn't have the childhood broadsides experience that I have!
I'm surprised to hear that only one pad moves, does the other stay in contact with the disc?
The static pad stays a fraction away from the disc, so there's no rubbing when the brakes are not applied.

Occasional adjustment is required, which can be fiddly - another reason why hydraulics are superior.

There is a model or two of cable operated disc in which both pads move, but yours is not one of them.

Nothing to stop you scuffing your disc rotor with some light emery paper.

If the disc is greasy, you could clean it with a mildly abrasive kitchen cleaner - the creamy yellow stuff is ideal.

As regards what to do next, one option is one of the new breed of cable operated hydraulic disc brakes.

These use the existing cable and have the hydraulic fluid reservoir mounted on the calliper.

Both pads move, so they are as good as full hydraulics.

The advantage would be no need to mess around with a new brake cut out switch - you would use what's there already.

Disadvantage might be the price, the brake in the link is £100, although there may be cheaper ones.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/trp-hy-rd-cable-actuated-hydraulic-disc-brake-caliper/

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
cable operated disc brakes usually have a single piston (hydraulic brakes have two). the pad on the inside is fixed. Whenyou squeeze the lever, the outside pad presses against the rotor hard enough to bend the rotor slightly until it comes into contact with the inside pad. The pads on hydraulic brakes are also about 100% larger than those on cable operated pads. Hydraulic brakes are about 4 times more powerful than cable operated ones.
Don't worry too much about this. The rotor will bed in very soon.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
These cable operated calipers really do sound a bit Heath Robinson. Bending the disc, really?
Still I think we'll see how we go over a few rides.
Main thing is, we've got to sell the giant (no storage space)and I'm not sure how old it is. We bought it last year, privately, second hand, perhaps naively.(Hindsight and research is a wonderful thing!) According to the odometer there was only 55km on it, now has 406km. I have a simple to use pricing formula from cyclezee, but it relies on knowing the age of the bike and the original cost. Despite several searches I can't find this exact model. It's an Esprit twist power, this one has a single, vertical 8Ah battery. It has a 7s Shimano Nexus twist gear change, and hub gears. Nexus brake levers.
Anyone know where I can find the original price, so I can do a fair sell price calculation?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I can't say exactly but there was a single vertical side battery Esprit around 2010/11 and the price back then was a little over £1000. Of the various Twist variants on this theme, they usually priced the twin battery versions around £1500, single battery around £1100 with a slightly lower spec as well as less battery capacity.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
These cable operated calipers really do sound a bit Heath Robinson. Bending the disc, really?
Yes, bending the rotor disc. Amazing isn't it? Nearly all cable operated disc brakes (also called mechanical disc brakes) have single piston and work like that, but it's a technology that is tried and tested for over 50 years with maybe a billion units made. All the big brands like Shimano, Avid, Clarke etc all have them, yours is made by Tektro (Taiwan brand) - about average. Hydraulic brakes are much, much better but few brands offer sensored models. If you want to upgrade to hydraulic, ask Woosh for advice.

C

Cyclezee

Still I think we'll see how we go over a few rides.
Main thing is, we've got to sell the giant (no storage space)and I'm not sure how old it is. We bought it last year, privately, second hand, perhaps naively.(Hindsight and research is a wonderful thing!) According to the odometer there was only 55km on it, now has 406km. I have a simple to use pricing formula from cyclezee, but it relies on knowing the age of the bike and the original cost. Despite several searches I can't find this exact model. It's an Esprit twist power, this one has a single, vertical 8Ah battery. It has a 7s Shimano Nexus twist gear change, and hub gears. Nexus brake levers.
Anyone know where I can find the original price, so I can do a fair sell price calculation?
He Benjahmin,

The pricing formula you have was created by Flecc, so he deserves credit for it's creation.

I find it excellent although because of battery improvements it could maybe do with an update.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
He Benjahmin,

The pricing formula you have was created by Flecc, so he deserves credit for it's creation.

I find it excellent although because of battery improvements it could maybe do with an update.
Indeed since it was created long ago. For most batteries the one year period should now be at eighteen months, or possibly two years for the best high price examples. Otherwise the formula can still work.

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
Indeed since it was created long ago. For most batteries the one year period should now be at eighteen months, or possibly two years for the best high price examples. Otherwise the formula can still work.
I was looking for this formula again the other day but a search didn’t turn it up. It would be a good idea if it was a sticky on the classified section.