Best Ebike mileage.....on ONE battery charge

martin@onbike

Official Trade Member
Brum ride.PNG Had a mixed ride out today....hot and sunny one minute, then freezing, grey and raining the next.

Don't mind too much, as I just need to get out on the bike whenever I can.

Today's jaunt had a purpose though..... to see how many miles I could get from my ebike on one full charge.

I chose a fairly mixed route, beginning with a few hills, a bit of City centre followed by a fair bit of Canal.

I prepped the Scott e-Aspect 710 with a full 400wh Battery, 55psi in the Tyres, a bit of cash, a Smartphone and puncture repair and set out with the intention of reaching The Mailbox in Birmingham, and returning via the Worcester/Birmingham Canal to Tardebigge then via road home.

Bosch performance, in Eco mode with 6,628 ft of climbing= 64 miles.

Bearing in mind that the Battery has now done 1893 miles, and is one year old, I think that's quite good!

I literally just made it to the end of my road when the display showed no further range expected, and left one bar of battery showing which was about to expire....

I got lost on the way, which isn't that unusual for me, as I refer to no maps on the way and just head off...this time I got rather irritated with my Redditch diversion though...a road network that is highly unpleasant to ride in my opinion.

My thighs cramped up simultaneously towards the end of the ride, which is the first time it's happened to me...and to be honest,I'd really had enough for one day by then...a quick Marathon bar, and some Lucozade with the Ducks, and I gathered just enough energy to get me home.

So, what's the best mileage the rest of you have achieved on one charge, how big is your Battery etc. ?
IMAG0487.jpg View attachment 11319 IMAG0489.jpg IMAG0490.jpg IMAG0491.jpg IMAG0492.jpg IMAG0493.jpg IMAG0494.jpg IMAG0495.jpg IMAG0496.jpg

Last edited:

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Brilliant read. :)

I'm another that just prefers to get on and ride, with no fixed route in mind. :)

Generally speaking if using assist modes only, eco and tour, I would struggle to get much more than 20 miles from a charge. Using a mix of eco and no assist, realistic range with a mix of off road and on road would be 37 miles, and on the very odd occasion this might stretch to mid forties.

edit.. You have reminded me that I really should get this sorted. :) http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/battery-bike-range-test.19808/

Last edited:

Eaglerider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 25, 2011
East Sussex
Furthest I have been is 62 miles in a day on one charge with no top ups. 16a/h Freego Eagle. There was still a bit left in the battery, but my bum was trashed, not to mention all the associated aches and pains. Most of the ride was using medium assist and putting in regular pedalling effort all the time. That was 2 years back. I don't think the battery would manage it now as it's 3.5 years old and has done around 5000 miles. I would estimate the capacity has dropped around 30% from when it was new. But it still gets me to the pub and back just fine and shows 4 lights static after 10 miles of non stop hills. I hope to get another year out of the battery and will then have to consider replacing it.

SteveRuss

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2015
Bristol, Uk
So far I think it's been 38 miles for me with a third of my battery left. I generally rode on full assist on my 17ah battery on my Kalkhoff at that time. I'd have to check my Garmin thingy for the full details though.

Bummer picture of that canal boat though :( I love canal boating but that scares the bejesus out of me..

Reactions: timidtom

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Ah yes, the Redditch road system. It's a doozey, my wives parents have lived there all her life and we still get lost.
Living in west Wales now and the most I've got so far is 32 miles on my Ezee kit conversion with 14Ah with about 50% used. Plenty battery left but no knees!

jonathan75

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
Hertfordshire
I made it from Haarlem to Weesp (25 miles I think) on a 10ah battery on a Batavus Easy. The one in my avatar photo actually, on the same day. Lovely bike. Lost all power 3 miles from hire shop. Boy those were slow and difficult miles. However in fairness to the battery it might have been the rain which caused things to shut down rather.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I've never broken any records on one battery, usually using two or three batteries for very long runs.

One member with three Kalkhoff Agattus* in his family had a circular ride with a friend on two Agattus, starting from a little north of Warlingham and taking in Eastbourne. They covered 63 miles in all, the member on one and half batteries content but his friend amazingly on the one battery which still had one LED bar showing at the end.

Similar mileage to your own Martin, but on a 260 wH battery, only 65% of your one's capacity. He was obviously a very capable cyclist, bettering 4.1 wH per mile, and clearly didn't need e-assistance.

* All Panasonic unit models with 26v 10aH batteries.

timidtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 19, 2009
Cheshire
GambiaGOES.blogspot.com
So far I think it's been 38 miles for me with a third of my battery left. I generally rode on full assist on my 17ah battery on my Kalkhoff at that time. I'd have to check my Garmin thingy for the full details though.

Bummer picture of that canal boat though :( I love canal boating but that scares the bejesus out of me..
Agree - great description of a journey but as a potterer-about-in-boats I feel sick when I see a sinker.
Tom

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Best excuse waking up with the bed wet.

4bound

Pedelecer
May 1, 2014
Neston
www.facebook.com
I did 75 miles on one charge ( two rides) on my Kalkhoff with 17AH battery - deliberately being easy on the power, eco almost all of the time, only a few minutes higher. This was on the flattish Cheshire lanes.

However the ride I was most impressed with, that the bike managed with one charge, was 45 miles, but extremely hilly across North Wales.

According to map my ride the route had a total ascent of 4198 ft and has a maximum elevation of 1,480 ft.
As you can see on the attached link there were two major peaks to overcome and the destination was 800ft higher than the start.I made a navigational error on the first and major peak which resulted in me having to walk with the bike over a very rocky path for a mile or so. I don't think I could have pushed an unpowered bike, but the Kalkhoff was able to power itself while I walked.
http://www.mapmyride.com/workout/952800507

There were some very steep gradients, but the bike managed them easily. My wife now also has a Kalkhoff with the same battery so some time I will try the route taking her battery with me, enabling me to use the power more freely.Screen Shot 2015-05-20 at 14.20.45.png

Last edited:

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
The best I've done on my Kudos Tourer on one 10ah battery is 45 miles. I posted about it at the time. I used power level 4 & 5. It was a warm sunny day. I was impressed with the bike and with myself that day. The bike was weighed down with all my gear, including a spare battery.

martin@onbike

Official Trade Member
That altitude figure stands out to me. It seems very high for the area? It'd also be interesting to see you repeat it on an ordinary bike.

Here's a rough of the route for altitude comparison. https://app.strava.com/routes/2389708
Lol...I'll not be doing that ride again on an ebike, let alone on a conventional!!!
With regards to Altitude, I've no idea if it's correct or not, but the black country is pretty hilly in certain areas, and I can barely walk up stairs today, so it feels about right:)

Reactions: rippedupno1

jwm

Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2014
Hampshire
On my Kalkhoff Groove I have managed 59 miles before the battery gave up the ghost, I do pedal hard, but was really surprised how long it lasted... important to remember it's flat as a pancake around me.

John

4bound

Pedelecer
May 1, 2014
Neston
www.facebook.com
That altitude figure stands out to me. It seems very high for the area? It'd also be interesting to see you repeat it on an ordinary bike.

Here's a rough of the route for altitude comparison. https://app.strava.com/routes/2389708
I must say I wondered about that too, interesting that Strava calculates it so differently. Which app did you use to record the ride? Is it possible to download the route from your app and then upload it to another to see what the difference is? I have always just accepted these calculations but I guess its possible the different ones have very different ideas.
I was surprised it was so much more than my ride which seemed very steep to me.

martin@onbike

Official Trade Member
I use Sports Tracker...mainly because you can add pics that are marked on the map. It is anomalous with top speeds occasionally..i've clocked some 135 mph records, but generally seems ok.

Just replotted the exact route on Strava and mapmyride to compare, and it looks as though Artstu is correct about it being innaccurate:(...it comes in at a dissappointing 3849 ft on Strava, and an even worse 2940 ft on mapmyride.

Bizzarely, all the mileages are coming in as correct in relation to the Bosch display though at 64 miles, give or take a small discrepancy due to my plotting.

I have run Sports Tracker and Strava simultaneously before, and had almost exact returns from them though...maybe I need to use a Mio GPS or similar rather than my HTC M8 phone?

Last edited:

SteveRuss

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2015
Bristol, Uk
Agree - great description of a journey but as a potterer-about-in-boats I feel sick when I see a sinker.
Tom
I used to house swap with my friend on her boat and take it down the Kennet and Avon for days and days. Same with another friend of mine. We once sailed past a boat with only just the top of the flower pots showing above the water line. Luckily they were away so were sadly greeted with that sight when they came home. Auto bilge pump with warning alarm or i'm staying at home these days! Luckily a lot of the canals are hardly deep enough (or cleared enough) to allow narrow boats to sink that low.

Reactions: JuicyBike