Avoiding canal or footpath conflict.

cosybike

Pedelecer
Mar 30, 2009
www.cosybike.co.uk
My tip is a couple of cat collar bells. People start to move without the panic caused by a bell. 1.50 for three at pets at home. Currently testing in Oxford urban environment too.

Sent from my Lenovo YT3-850F using Tapatalk

Reactions: LeighPing and D C

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
Sounds a great idea and I'm going to try it.
Maybe the noise will get on my nerves where I don't need it.
Dave.

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
Nice idea but doesn't that mean your jingling all the time ? I'd find that most annoying.

I've tried a few different warning gadgets but found that plebeians (sorry that should read pedestrians) not associating the noise with a bike ignore it.

The last device I tried was a pp3 powered mega horn left over from my motorcycle greenlaneing days, LOUD enough to pass an MOT !
Freewheeling down hill on a shared use path I see a group of women folks walking side by side with there backs to me, from about 40 yards I gave a quick blast, no reaction. As I've gotten closer (25 yds) a longer blast, from there movement they obviously hear somthing but just carry on regardless, eventually when I'm almost on top of them and with a continuous blast from the horn the penny drops, they over react, panic scattering all over the path. That was the first & last time I used that horn on a pushbike.

I'm back to a good old fashioned bicycle bell "ring,ring-ring,ring"
In general people know the sound of a bike bell and react accordingly, if you don't want to shock them, ring it well in advance and they'll usually stop to see where the bike is. Simples.
If it ain't broke don't fix it

If want bells try wearing one of these, I'm sure you'll be noticed
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jester-Hat-With-Bells-Multi-Coloured-Circus-Adults-Fancy-Dress-Accessory-/301835748271?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

I 100% agree. I tried every type of bell, horn and other ways of warning them. the only thing that works (most of the time) is the old fashioned "bring-bring" type of bell, which are more or less unobtainable today. You can get ones with plastic mechanisms that don't last more than five minutes. What's happened to the metal ones we used to have?

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
I'm sure I read somewhere that it's illegal to sell a bike without a bell.
saying that, if fitted on a new bike a lot of bells would get taken off because there uncool and for children

cosybike

Pedelecer
Mar 30, 2009
www.cosybike.co.uk
I've just dangled it on a brake line and it lies against the fork. On smooth surfaces like the road it doesn't actually jingle. On a rough tow path it jingles gently. Dogs also become more predictable. It's slightly louder than motor whir and also helps when passing other cyclists.

You could always take it off or make a wee cover to dampen it when not required.

It's not irritating at all. That was one of my fears. But for Oxford or Cambridge type situations and canal paths it's perfect.

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
I find people mostly respond in a nice way to a simple bell on and off road.

Each of my bikes have a small bell fitted and despite uncool comments I am keeping all of them.

Reactions: EddiePJ

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That's correct, in UK law it's illegal for a retailer to sell a bike without a bell, but it doesn't have to be fitted. To comply they only have to offer one to the bike purchaser. It's not illegal to ride without one.

But like so much in bicycle law, this retailing law is very widely ignored.

cosybike

Pedelecer
Mar 30, 2009
www.cosybike.co.uk
The single ping type is totally ignored. Most tow path users are old deaf or running with music. The frequency is quite high and I reckon is above what older people can pick up easily. It's also difficult to determine direction and speed. I have pinged up to 5 or 6 times on approach to people and they only hear or respond to the last one. Then they all swap sides and assume you are travelling at speed when you are actually almost track standing. An electronic Japanese style warning alarms would also be a good alternative. Their bin lorries are so polite!

stumpy150

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2015
Yorkshire
saying that, if fitted on a new bike a lot of bells would get taken off because there uncool and for children
EU regs yet again - Eu Regs require ALL cycles sold in Europe by commercial retailers - shops etc - to have a bell fitted. There is no UK legal requirement to have one fitted..thats why most take them off as soon as they get the bike home from the shops. :)

stumpy150

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2015
Yorkshire
more or less !!

Too much influence from Brussels, EU laws etc - Human Rights Act is ok for war zones but not for the UK..

Commerce will suffer if we leave.

Immigration issues would be better if we left and became an Island Nation again !!- Brick up the Bloody Tunnel and turn back all those that arrive illegally....there that's my rant over.

stumpy150

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2015
Yorkshire
My 4 steps to dealing with pedestrians on a shared path.
1) stop pedaling and slow down.
2) make yourself heard.
3) give as much room as possible when passing?
4) say thank you as you pass.
Bear in mind that they have as much right to be there as you.

and if they are miserable sods - make them aware.....:)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i leave a gate open its like the fkn end of the world? like why it needs to be shut all the rabbits will not run away or the boats will not fall out of orbit lol.

then ppls dogs on no leads and its my fault its charging full whack at my front wheel like its trying to kill its self is my problem?

then fishing ppl are the worst its like im invading there country and stand in the way and not moving well im no pussy and will run you over as 1 tried to grab me and ended up ass backwards in a bramble bush lol.

Reactions: Gubbins

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
i leave a gate open its like the fkn end of the world? like why it needs to be shut all the rabbits will not run away or the boats will not fall out of orbit lol.

then ppls dogs on no leads and its my fault its charging full whack at my front wheel like its trying to kill its self is my problem?

then fishing ppl are the worst its like im invading there country and stand in the way and not moving well im no pussy and will run you over as 1 tried to grab me and ended up ass backwards in a bramble bush lol.
I must say SW, you have a really entertaining way of putting things...
I have to agree about the dogs.. What I try to do is actually encourage them to chase me and gallop off at full belt with the owner shouting at a deaf dog!!
p.s. what does fkn mean?;);)

Reactions: Benjahmin

Advertisers