Looking for a bike under £2k

Con2k

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 28, 2016
uk
I would like a hybrid bike for commuting and riding round. I prefer to bike to be assisted up to 20-25mph or atleast have an option to go over 15mph assisted, i have licences and insurance for any bike under 1000cc and also to look less like an electric bike if possible.

i have seen quite a few bikes i quite like the look of Dillenger D6 Hybrid but am worried about buying new battery or replacing parts. Also the Cyclotricity Stealth 500/1000w looks like a nice bike just wondering if any other bikes around within my budget what have the speed and distance.

Thanks

Also im 6.0' 85kg ish

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
I would like a hybrid bike for commuting and riding round. I prefer to bike to be assisted up to 20-25mph or atleast have an option to go over 15mph assisted, i have licences and insurance for any bike under 1000cc and also to look less like an electric bike if possible.

i have seen quite a few bikes i quite like the look of Dillenger D6 Hybrid but am worried about buying new battery or replacing parts. Also the Cyclotricity Stealth 500/1000w looks like a nice bike just wondering if any other bikes around within my budget what have the speed and distance.

Thanks

Also im 6.0' 85kg ish
You didn't say what range you need?

You are fairly light, so that is to your advantage.

If you are handy with the spanners you can build something that fits your requirements for under £1k. Less if you only need a 20 - 30 mile range.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
welcome to the forum, con2k.
You are not supposed to have advice on a bike without the 15mph assist limiter for commuting.
The simplest way to stay legal is to convert a fast rolling bike. You can get assist up to 16mph then pedal hard after that.

edit: crossed with AQ's post.

Con2k

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 28, 2016
uk
The distance is about 8miles but i would like to go on longer rides when not working, i have motorcycles already and i dont want a scooter. I have a road bike aswell but its very hilly where i live and i'm thinking about selling it.

As for advice on over 15mph i thought if i registered the bike i could use any amount of power?

And id also prefer to buy one already built and as tidy as possible.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
The distance is about 8miles but i would like to go on longer rides when not working, i have motorcycles already and i dont want a scooter. I have a road bike aswell but its very hilly where i live and i'm thinking about selling it.

As for advice on over 15mph i thought if i registered the bike i could use any amount of power?

And id also prefer to buy one already built and as tidy as possible.
It is theoretically possible to register and SVA approve then free tax and insure as an electric moped. But it's not very easy at all.
There is a trader who has been saying they can do it.
I think we all would love to here how you get on.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
It is theoretically possible to register and SVA approve then free tax and insure as an electric moped. But it's not very easy at all.
There is a trader who has been saying they can do it.
I think we all would love to here how you get on.
....but if you want to continue down the 'greater than 15mph' route then just start a new thread in the 'speed pedelec...' section, otherwise the nanny state fun police will be all over us.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
As others are saying, you first need to grasp the legal position of 15mph+ ebiking and your attitude to it, before deciding what bike to buy.

The regulations are complex, but the speed cut off part is not, so there is no way of legally using a 15mph+ ebike on the road.

Registration is all but impossible.

It ends there for anyone with a zero tolerance attitude to law breaking.

Some riders decide there's no harm in pedalling along illegally assisted at 15-20mph, not least because they don't stand out among other fastish cyclists.

I happen to agree with that and do it myself, although not very often, and only for short bursts to keep up with my roadie mates.

But what I think and do doesn't matter, it's your choice and your risk.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
  • Informative