Newbie battery mileage / usage questions

Denis99

Pedelecer
May 26, 2016
South Wales
www.instagram.com
Hi,

I will be getting my first e mtb mid week.

It has a Bosch mid power unit with the standard 400w battery.

When climbing I imagine that. I will be in sport usage, on the flat and downhill in Eco mode.

Can any experienced users suggest the sort of range I can expect based on these parameters?

I am hoping to cover 35km in two hours .

Much of the terrain is either up or down, not much on the flat really.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
So many variables it's impossible to give an accurate prediction.

But a 400w battery ought to do your 20+ miles in the circumstances you suggest.

My best guess is you could exceed 30 miles, but not 40.

Denis99

Pedelecer
May 26, 2016
South Wales
www.instagram.com
Thanks.

My first ride will be very conscious of the remaining battery level.

There is a steep climb on the way back to my house, don't want to run out of some remaining power for that climb.

Reactions: LeighPing

chris130256

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 4, 2016
herefordshire
We did 16 miles round the Mortimers Forest in N. Herefordshire yesterday which included fire roads, single tracks, red downhill trails and a very big steep climb. This is all off road using eco, standard and high power settings. Our 400w batteries used 30% power (my wife 57kgs) and 32%(me 72kgs). I would calculate 45 to 50 miles range for us riding in these conditions.

Last edited:

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
The standard questions are where, road off-road Wales or the fens,no sweat or you want to work, speed required or its just good getting there, are you a fit feisty 50kg or a failing fat 50+ year old?
But a sub 20kph ave on the road is normaly easy without traffic. Go off road and some burn the battery very quickly.

Denis99

Pedelecer
May 26, 2016
South Wales
www.instagram.com
Cheers all,

I am 61 and 80kg.

I regard myself as reasonably fit and usually ride 100 km a week off road on a normal bike.

Most of my riding is at Afan Argoed which is mainly singletrack and a smattering of fire roads.

I'm ok with still having a workout on the bike, usually wear a heart rate monitor, aim to be at around 130 bpm.

just need some assistance on the climbs really, as I have got older my strength in climbing has diminished a little. This puts a little more stress on my left leg in terms of discomfort in the thigh muscles.

Looking forward to this week and getting out. Keep you guys posted.

Reactions: chris130256

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
My gut feel is you can leave it in Eco.
Otherwise known as twenty years younger.
Next setting is twenty years old.
And sport is you liar, you never beat lance;-)

The assist will reduce the sting of the hills, you get to the top fresher and recover quicker.
It allows me to keep up with the young men on the road and I'm 50+ and 100kg. Up the hills at 14 mph and along the flat fresher.

mab13

Pedelecer
Jun 23, 2015
Peak District
Felt Lebowsk-e , fat bike

:)
Great choice - is that last year's model with the rigid fork or this year's with the Bluto? Not that it matters as they're both great bikes with great spec - I'd just be interested in how comfortable you find the rigid with the fat tyres if that's the model you're getting.

Denis99

Pedelecer
May 26, 2016
South Wales
www.instagram.com
It's the 2016 bike with the Bluto.

But I intend to fit a Lauf Carbonara fork to it from new.
I'll see how the Lauf fork goes, but am very keen to have it set up this way and possibly sell the Bluto.

mab13

Pedelecer
Jun 23, 2015
Peak District
It's the 2016 bike with the Bluto.

But I intend to fit a Lauf Carbonara fork to it from new.
I'll see how the Lauf fork goes, but am very keen to have it set up this way and possibly sell the Bluto.
Forgive my ignorance - I've never heard of those.

Off to google I go... :)

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Fat bike puts a slightly different complexion on your original question.

Fat bikes roll better than many people imagine, but those big, podgy tyres will inevitably increase your battery consumption a bit.

Denis99

Pedelecer
May 26, 2016
South Wales
www.instagram.com
Yes, I had considered that.

However, I have a pair of DT Swiss wheels which are considerably lighter, plus they will be set up tubeless to reduce the rotational mass.

The Lauf fork is nearly a kilo lighter than the Bluto.

In total it looks like saving around 2 to 3 kilos over the stock bike.
Also considering buying a spare 500w battery , but I'll see how the range goes with the "lighter" bike.

mab13

Pedelecer
Jun 23, 2015
Peak District
Woah... just had a read up on the Lauf forks. Maintenance free and the low weight really are appealing and they look cool too!

Last edited:

Denis99

Pedelecer
May 26, 2016
South Wales
www.instagram.com
I will give an update once i get the bike.

Need to alter to my spec really.
Will be fitting a pair of DT Swiss 2250 wheels (lighter), with a maxxis Mammoth on the front (extra grip) and a Jumbo Jim on the rear.

Lauf forks - just lighter, less faff and look cool.

Make wheels tubeless, I'm a fan of tubeless, one puncture in the last 12 months, less rotational weight, what is there to dislike?

Wrap frame with some protection from rocks etc.

Charge battery and go.

chris130256

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 4, 2016
herefordshire
That is my new favourite name for an electric bike. Genius.

Let's hope it doesn't pee on your rug.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
So many great quotes from that film available. Sadly, none of them repeatable on this forum! My absolute favourite scene in this or possibly any film ever, is 'the Jesus'. Cinematic genius.

Reactions: Alan Quay

Derek M Walshaw

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 25, 2016
Hi,

I will be getting my first e mtb mid week.

It has a Bosch mid power unit with the standard 400w battery.

When climbing I imagine that. I will be in sport usage, on the flat and downhill in Eco mode.

Can any experienced users suggest the sort of range I can expect based on these parameters?

I am hoping to cover 35km in two hours .

Much of the terrain is either up or down, not much on the flat really.
It says in the Bosch Manual
The operating range depends on many factors, such as the
following: – Assistance level, Gear-switching behaviour, Bicycle tires and tire pressure, Age and condition of the battery pack, Route profile (inclines) and road or path conditions (road or path surface), Headwind and ambient temperature, Weight of the e-Bike, rider and equipment/luggage.

Also after lets say, steep rough terrain in sport or turbo mode. You then get back on more level terrain using eco or tour, After the level of assist is selected, go to the Range and rest it. You will notice the range left, in say eco after steep climb. will increase after you reset, it .

Reactions: Denis99

Denis99

Pedelecer
May 26, 2016
South Wales
www.instagram.com
Had the bike for about 10 days now, the maximum trip distance I have ridden is 35 miles with about 3,500 feet of climbing.

The battery still had two of the battery power bars ( out of five ) lit up.

Really pleased with the range, much better than I thought.
My main usage is in Eco for about 85% of the ride, with only tour being used for some steeper climbs.

Related Articles

Advertisers