Battery q a newbie

Sharon

Pedelecer
Jun 15, 2016
North Wales
Sorry for another battery q!
Took my new Cube for first ride yesterday (Bosch 500w performance cx).. Range before we set off 106m (Eco) .. Less than a mile later 93 mile range .... 3 miles later was down to 60 miles!
It's this normal? Brand new battery.
We did a total of 11 miles ... Mix of up and down hill tarmac and muddy trails, mainly eco and tour...briefly into sport for a short sharp off road climb.
Got home and 55 range left in eco .. Only one bar of battery used.
Thanks in advance

Tomwal

Pedelecer
Mar 28, 2016
London NW2
Sorry for another battery q!
Took my new Cube for first ride yesterday (Bosch 500w performance cx).. Range before we set off 106m (Eco) .. Less than a mile later 93 mile range .... 3 miles later was down to 60 miles!
It's this normal? Brand new battery.
We did a total of 11 miles ... Mix of up and down hill tarmac and muddy trails, mainly eco and tour...briefly into sport for a short sharp off road climb.
Got home and 55 range left in eco .. Only one bar of battery used.
Thanks in advance
My Kalkhoff is not giving the range I had expected (approx 70 instead of 120+). I have done a couple of charges to full. I have never actually drained the battery to completely empty.
I always go down to just a bit remaining. Apparently one should completely drain the battery to achieve the maximum capacity so that is what I am doing at the moment. Also I notice that the trip meter and the miles to empty do not agree although it is only a few miles out so I can live with that.

Maybe your problem is because you have not fully drained the battery.

Sharon

Pedelecer
Jun 15, 2016
North Wales
I've only used it once from brand new plus this new generation of batteries are not meant to be drained according tho Bosch. But either way as this is a brand new battery I was expecting distance traveled and range remaining to tie in... Certainly not to travel a very short distance and lose 13 miles range within the first (easy/flat) mile.

Last edited:

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi guys you ned to be very wary of quoted range figures. The 120 plus quoted is very optimistic! Tests are often done using a 9/10 stone rider on a completely flat velodrome type surface on a bike that has perfectly inflated tyres in the lowest setting. No hills, no head wind and a very minimum number of stops.

To give you an idea we achieved 127 miles on a Wisper Torque with a 575Wh battery in these conditions. In the real world 70 miles would be good. As a rule of thumb knock about 40% from the manufacturers claims, you won't then be disappointed.

All the best, David

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the bosch system will try to work out the range based on how much effort you put in over the last 30 mins of riding the bike and what mode that you use.

so if you left it in turbo the range would be a lot lower after recharging the batt and show more range after a charge if you just used eco mode.

i can blast round with my dongle on and after recharging the batt can say just 6 miles fully charged which is wrong of course so dont tend to use it as its not very good.

best way is to ride the bike till its flat will give you an idea how far you can go on 1 charge the fitter you get the further you will go.

Reactions: Sharon

countarthur

Pedelecer
May 6, 2016
Wales
I've only used it once from brand new plus this new generation of batteries are not meant to be drained according tho Bosch. But either way as this is a brand new battery I was expecting distance traveled and range remaining to tie in... Certainly not to travel a very short distance and lose 13 miles range within the first (easy/flat) mile.
I hate to say this but this is also my experience on my Kalkhoff - Whilst I think I may have an issue with my battery I think this is normal.

countarthur

Pedelecer
May 6, 2016
Wales
My Kalkhoff is not giving the range I had expected (approx 70 instead of 120+). I have done a couple of charges to full. I have never actually drained the battery to completely empty.
I always go down to just a bit remaining. Apparently one should completely drain the battery to achieve the maximum capacity so that is what I am doing at the moment. Also I notice that the trip meter and the miles to empty do not agree although it is only a few miles out so I can live with that.

Maybe your problem is because you have not fully drained the battery.
My experience also albeit I have completely drained 3 times to try and reset/improve battery.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
My experience also albeit I have completely drained 3 times to try and reset/improve battery.
thats not going to improve anything with these batts they need to be used and charged.

the fitter you get the further you will go ;)

countarthur

Pedelecer
May 6, 2016
Wales
thats not going to improve anything with these batts they need to be used and charged.

the fitter you get the further you will go ;)
Actually did it on suppliers advice who told me the workshop manual recommended 3 complete discharges????- I becoming realistic as to expectations on miles. Bottom line I'm loving the electric bike experience and already getting fitter :)

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
A new bike just off the production line has no real basis for calculating range. Doing some real mileage with stop,starts hills etc. This will give the programming some real data to calculate range. So the cycled 11 miles and it says 55 left looks reasonable.
Enjoy the ride

Denis99

Pedelecer
May 26, 2016
South Wales
www.instagram.com
I asked a similar question being a total newbie to ebikes.

My bike has a 400w Bosch battery, mid frame motor.
Not the lightest bike, and has 4" fat bike tyres, so probably doesn't roll like most ebikes either.

All my riding is off road, so again quite a bit of rolling resistance.

My rides to date have seen me finish with at least two bars of battery power left at the end of the ride.

Typical ride is30 miles with about 3,000 feet of climbing.
80% of the battery assist is used in Eco mode, with occasional short bursts of additional support.

Very pleased with the battery range for the type of riding I do.

Hope this helps.

• Agree
Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Tomwal

Pedelecer
Mar 28, 2016
London NW2
I hate to say this but this is also my experience on my Kalkhoff - Whilst I think I may have an issue with my battery I think this is normal.
Surely if it says in the brochure that a 17ah battery will give 128 miles in Eco mode then it is not unreasonable to expect that with a new battery after charging and before any riding the display for Miles Remaining for Eco should say 128 miles. If it doesn't then something is wrong.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Surely if it says in the brochure that a 17ah battery will give 128 miles in Eco mode then it is not unreasonable to expect that with a new battery after charging and before any riding the display for Miles Remaining for Eco should say 128 miles. If it doesn't then something is wrong.
Un less the brochure was puffery :-0

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
You would think so...

cosybike

Pedelecer
Mar 30, 2009
www.cosybike.co.uk
The range is only ever a guide based on the power use over a period of time at that moment in time. You get the same with a fuel tank and the internal combustion engine. If you anticipate and drive gently you can smash your mpg figures. If you cane it hard and brake loads you can see the fuel gauge dropping. Often after lunch my bike will show good range again after battery has recovered a bit and time has passed. The 55 mile range of mine seems pretty accurate for an average ride. You'll take a hit on some climbs, but gain distance on the descents. Obviously this will reduce if you do loads of climbing.

Sent from my Lenovo YT3-850F using Tapatalk