Brexit, for once some facts.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Well, seeing that we have such a glut of them, I suppose that at least sour grapes will be cheaper.
Hey, come on, some of us remain voters are enjoying the ride! no sour grapes from me , as I predicted the fools to win, didn't I?
I'm enjoying every minute, best Fun in years.
I'm quite happy to board the Titanic for it's maiden voyage, at 72 years of age, why should I fear icebergs?
Might as well enjoy the voyage.

Reactions: flecc and LeighPing

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Interesting contrast between the papers this morning, recommended reading.
As usual the Mail and Express are in a triumphal mood and seem to take perverse glee in any sign of Referendum fever in Europe.
(I wonder who's agenda they are serving now, as it's no longer our concern)
And the Telegraph is showing signs of deep reservations about where we are going. Read and enjoy them all!

Reactions: LeighPing

lectureral

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 30, 2007
Suva, Fiji
I am pretty convinced that if a second referendum is organised next week or next months, half of the Brexiters will change their mind now. I still am attracted to the Norway model though.
I don't get it - Norway has free movement of people plus all the EU rules - all we gain from the exercise is the inability to influence the rules imposed on us. Is that any sort of gain?

As the stock market loses £125 billion (which would have paid that £350 million per weekthat we don’t actually pay to the EU for 7 years) ; as the GBP loses 8% of its value (that’s quite a few more years of that imaginary weekly bill); as Farage admits that there won’t be a pot of gold for the NHS after all – that pledge (and poster and big letters on the side of the bus) was “a mistake”; as the decent PM resigns (to be replaced with whom – Boris, Farage, Gove?); as the prospect of Northern Ireland and beloved Scotland disappearing behind an EU border get closer; as the Brexiters start arguing about whether they want the UK to be Norway (and realise that means free movement of people (or immigration as they have been calling it) plus all those pesky EU regulations but without any say in creating them – try that for undemocratic) or Albania (who was it that wanted to be Albania again?); as the UK enters years of strife (General Election next year? Parliament unable to pass the necessary legislation because most MPs think it would be disastrous to leave? Years of business uncertainty, stagnation, recession and extra austerity? Another referendum in Scotland? One in Northern Ireland? Another on whether the UK should be Norway or Albania?) you have to say, it’s a sad day.

lectureral

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 30, 2007
Suva, Fiji
It shouldn't bother you too much in Fiji though eh. :)
Actually it does - partly because I still love my country and the people I know there and partly because I could not pass my British nationality to my children (because I was born abroad) who have French passports - I would be sad if they are unable to live and work in the land of half of their forebears.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: flecc and LeighPing

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I don't get it - Norway has free movement of people plus all the EU rules - all we gain from the exercise is the inability to influence the rules imposed on us. Is that any sort of gain?

As the stock market loses £125 billion (which would have paid that £350 million per weekthat we don’t actually pay to the EU for 7 years) ; as the GBP loses 8% of its value (that’s quite a few more years of that imaginary weekly bill); as Farage admits that there won’t be a pot of gold for the NHS after all – that pledge (and poster and big letters on the side of the bus) was “a mistake”; as the decent PM resigns (to be replaced with whom – Boris, Farage, Gove?); as the prospect of Northern Ireland and beloved Scotland disappearing behind an EU border get closer; as the Brexiters start arguing about whether they want the UK to be Norway (and realise that means free movement of people (or immigration as they have been calling it) plus all those pesky EU regulations but without any say in creating them – try that for undemocratic) or Albania (who was it that wanted to be Albania again?); as the UK enters years of strife (General Election next year? Parliament unable to pass the necessary legislation because most MPs think it would be disastrous to leave? Years of business uncertainty, stagnation, recession and extra austerity? Another referendum in Scotland? One in Northern Ireland? Another on whether the UK should be Norway or Albania?) you have to say, it’s a sad day.
I sympathise completely with your situation, but the Voting public here needs to go through a lesson in reality that is sufficiently painful that ever the least intelligent are left in no doubt as to where their best interests lie.
Already two of the main reasons many who voted Brexit expected have been proven lies, on Immigration and money for the NHS (as I and others prophesied and was called foolish remember) and corporate rats are leaving the sinking ship
Actually I'm inclined to laugh hysterically as in the long term my view is that having to accept the EU regulations without being able to affect them is actually leaving the decisions in wiser hands than the Politicians who successfully pulled off this monumental con trick based on lies.
After all when all's said and done, Thinking is best left to the qualified, and we haven't got a single politician you can accuse that of have we??;)

Last edited:

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
It is clear that some people on this forum do not understand democracy.
The will of the people is manifest for all to see.
To go calling them fools is to just perpetuate the nastiness, name calling and insulting that characterised and sullied the remain vote.

Last edited:

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
The lies in the press show no sign of abating, and of course the Daily Express is the biggest liar of them all
"
Headline

Russia celebrates Brexit saying the ‘financial mafia’ EU will DISAPPEAR in five years
Was that Putin? No, but it will do for the Express, won't it?
Russian nationalist leader Vladimir Zhirinovsky said "rural, provincial, working-class Britain has said no to the Union, which was created by the financial mafia and globalists".
What did Putin actually
say?

The president Vladimir Putin said: “The British people have decided to leave the European Union. We have never interfered with the process.”

Just who manipulates the so called "Free press"? after the Brexit vote where do they want to lead the donkey next?
Why are they so keen to cosy up to Russia?
It couldn't be anything to do with Money of course.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daily_Express
Backer of the UKIP ah, yes, well, and now the UKIP is talking about replacing the Labour party, Offering a co prosperity deal with Russia perhaps.?
Well they don't have a reason to exist anymore do they?
The Brexit vote wasn't the end, was it, just a beginning.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
It is clear that some people on this forum do not understand democracy.
The will of the people is manifest for all to see.
To go calling them fools is to just perpetuate the nastiness, name calling and insulting that characterised and sullied the remain vote.
And the fact that the people have been misled with proven lies about the very things they thought they were voting in protest about doesn't count?
The leave vote has been sullied by the fact that lies have influenced the result.
If the truth was known about immigration and funds for the NHS before the vote the result would have been very very different.
Still, I am quite happy, as the leave camp will get the Government they deserve and suffer the consequences, which will make them act more wisely in future.
Unfortunately we will too, as we are now just "Collateral damage" because of their mistake.
We call them fools, perhaps that's wrong "Suckers" fits rather better.;)

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I believe that the UK has always wanted a special status in the world.
Now we've got it.
BTW, the petition for the second referendum has now hit the 3 million mark.
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/131215

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Well, I am not going to trade insults with you just to feed your intolerance of the will of the people.
Insults? such as? for your information the will of the people isn't something you own, and do you deny anything in my post isn't true?
So you were not lied to ?
Do you think that I have to like something and not oppose it because of your expressed opinion and a small majority agree with it ?
I have to put up with it, I granted that, which means I Tolerated it.
But do you imagine that gives you the privilege of calling me intolerant for telling you you made the wrong decision?
And you have label my opposition as intolerance?
Sorry but you obviously don't realise when you are being intolerant.
Democracy only requires me to accept the decision, nothing more, it does not confer holy powers to it or make it taboo to criticise.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
seriously, I can look forward to Labour and LibDem fighting the next general elections on a pro EU platform.

• Agree
Reactions: oldgroaner

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
seriously, I can look forward to Labour and LibDem fighting the next general elections on a pro EU platform.
Very likely though they should have made their position clear right from the start.
And by the sound of it Farage wants to keep the UKIP in being even though it's reason for existence is finished, I wonder whether his backers will still find a use for him?

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
China, Russia and the smaller Silk Trade Road countries have stepped closer together at the recent SCO meeting. India and Pakistan want to be part of it.

China also striving to create deals with the Vietnam peninsular Countries.

Unshackled from Europe we could also apply to join this new emerging market place.

The USA have been powerless to control its emergence and want to place us a the back of the queue.

Last edited:

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I have a sneaking suspicion that even if we started doing quite well being out of the EU.... Oldmoaner will carry on desperately looking for something bad thats happening to blame on Brexit.
Bitterness is a terrible thing.... it can really eat some people up.
Still not listening? never mind , already things are going wrong, lies have been revealed and the banks are leaving the country, of course it's only a coincidence, and you think you are on to a winner?[emoji1]

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Advertisers