Brexit, for once some facts.

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
There's no doubt that a very large proportion of the young are concerned and disappointed by the referendum result. It's their future and I think we have let them down very badly.

If we exit without a Norway type deal, they'll probably take us back into the EU eventually.
Maybe the young have let themselves down, by being so apathetic about voting.

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014
Maybe the young have let themselves down, by being so apathetic about voting.
regardless we have a duty of care towards them. the older generation in england, sitting on their inflated assets, having done their part in triggering teh 2008 crisis, having received special deals in every budget, having imposed tuition fees and cuts to disability benefits, while voraciously holding on to their own benefits, and finally opting for brexit and taking care of themselves as the eu and the world needs help and engagement have really done themselves proud.

Ruadh495

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2015
evidently there are still some voters who need to experience a more meaningful dose of reality before the denial begins to wear of properly
I voted "remain" myself and I'm pretty concerned about the future, but I believe that the expressed will of the people needs to be respected, even if they happen to be English.

Scotland's "remain" margin wasn't that big either (bigger than the national "leave" margin?) Why should a vote in Scotland be worth more than one in England? That's not how democracy works...

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014
I voted "remain" myself and I'm pretty concerned about the future, but I believe that the expressed will of the people needs to be respected, even if they happen to be English.

Scotland's "remain" margin wasn't that big either (bigger than the national "leave" margin?) Why should a vote in Scotland be worth more than one in England? That's not how democracy works...
yup, and now it's time for the next lesson on "hedge funds and currency trading"

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
I think one positive to come out of this will be that the EU will have to have a close look at itself and acknowledge that their is a lot of discontent and not only in the UK . They are going to have to make some serious reforms and it's leaders become much more accountable. At the moment they are seen by a large amount of people as just a remote dictatorship.
Sturgeon is nothing but a hypocrite. She is always going on about democracy, but only when it suits her. If she wants to be independent from the UK and be run by that remote dictatorship, let her go and use the money she gets for the benefit of those that are left. I heard some MP this morning going on about what a bad thing British nationalism is, so why not Scottish nationalism??
The BRITISH people have voted and for any one to try and deny the result would be a major constitutional outrage. To me it would make it pointless voting for anything

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
regardless we have a duty of care towards them. the older generation in england, sitting on their inflated assets, having done their part in triggering teh 2008 crisis, having received special deals in every budget, having imposed tuition fees and cuts to disability benefits, while voraciously holding on to their own benefits, and finally opting for brexit and taking care of themselves as the eu and the world needs help and engagement have really done themselves proud.
They're not children, they're young adults...... if they want a voice, to have a say in what happens in their own country, they should get their ass down the polling stations and use their democratic right to vote.
But a hell of a lot of them cant be bothered. For many years now, there's been apathy amongst the young with voting.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Afraid you are lying now OG. The,HL full report us only available to investors with them and it still has to be paid for.Its not even sent electronically.Please prove me wrong be informing us all wo wrote it or quoting any aspect you wish.
Looking forward to Farage negotiating our exit ???
I know, and yes I was lying as you can't get past the front page without as you say being a subscriber, but how else could I check your story, and of course how do I know you didn't get to the same spot and be unable to continue.?
After all you could easily say it was edited by anyone, couldn't you?
It was obviously intended as a trick question, wasn't it?
But hey what do you care about lying? at least at last you have recognised one at last ( though a bit too late) and passed a test. Congratulations!o_O
You lied about a statement on mine, so I felt inclined to return the favour.
This is the lie I'm referring to
Like you told us Farage was negotiating exit ?? But then changed your mind ...

Why who's told you he is?
I pointed you at a newspaper comment he made, did you read it? if you had you would see it was indeed his own words.
I'll make you a deal, stick to the truth and I will too.
Have a nice day Flud;)

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I cannot respect the decision, simply because I cannot respect what I thought and still think is wrong. To do otherwise would be hypocritical. After all, when a political party wins an election, do the opposition then agree and cooperate with everything they do? Of course not, they continue to fight their position, and that's what I'm doing. As one of over 48% who voted to remain, I'm determined that our view is represented in something like a Norway type deal, far short of complete separation from the EU.

It's not a matter of vote value. Democracy for the Scots is deciding their own future. They are after all a separate country with their own government, and their history as a separate country outside of union is seven times longer than being in Great Britain.

They can choose their own future, either out of the UK and in the EU, or pursue the Denmark/Greenland option of being in the EU while still part of the UK. Or they can just stay as they are, their choice.

Last edited:

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I have a sneaking suspicion that even if we started doing quite well being out of the EU.... Oldmoaner will carry on desperately looking for something bad thats happening to blame on Brexit.
Bitterness is a terrible thing.... it can really eat some people up.
You really don't have to look desperately hard, for things going wrong, unless you want good news, have I missed any yet?
is it an accident that bad things are happening, just bad luck perhaps?
You really don't connect cause with effect, do you?
However I agree completely that Bitterness is a terrible thing, so why your bitter comments?
Do my observations not quite fit with your dream?
If it is so certain the correct choice was made, they should be water off a ducks back, as yours are to me.
A good decision needs to be able to stand up to criticism :)

Ruadh495

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2015
yup, and now it's time for the next lesson on "hedge funds and currency trading"
Isn't that exactly what's wrong, not just in the EU, but globally? A nation's political decisions can be dictated by hedge fund managers and currency traders. I think the idea that we could get out of that kind of trading relationship influenced quite a few to vote "out".

No idea what an economy which can't be so dictated would look like though. Subsistence agriculture? Barter?

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I think Brexit is great news for Paris. A short train ride from London, lots of office space, companies could relocate to the EU and employees still be with their families on the weekend...

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Have you seen the voter turnout figures for young people? It's shocking and it's disgraceful. Total lack of effort and will.

I know it's currently in vogue to blame others for anything that goes wrong. Everything is always someone else's fault and no one needs to take on responsibility for anything. Well reality has just struck home. They had a chance and they blew it, couldn't be @rsed to vote. Their vote could and would have made a difference. I think it would have been the wrong outcome, but it could have been theirs for the taking.

Never mind, perhaps Simon Cowell will discover them and whisk them away into the synthetic and plasticy world of celebrity. That's all many seem interested in. Maybe this will give them the kick up the jacksey they so badly need.

Reactions: KeithMac

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Have you seen the voter turnout figures for young people? It's shocking and it's disgraceful. Total lack of effort and will.

I know it's currently in vogue to blame others for anything that goes wrong. Everything is always someone else's fault and no one needs to take in responsibility for anything. Well reality has just struck home. They had a chance and they blew it, couldn't be @rsed to vote. Their vote could and would have made a difference. I think it would have been the wrong outcome, but it could have been theirs for the taking.

Never mind, perhaps Simon Cowell will discover them and whisk them away into the synthetic and plasticy world of celebrity. That's all many seem interested in. Maybe this will give them the kick up the jacksey they so badly need.
Well said Tillson!
And in fact though here we may disagree, I think one is coming up over the horizon in the near future.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Isn't that exactly what's wrong, not just in the EU, but globally? A nation's political decisions can be dictated by hedge fund managers and currency traders. I think the idea that we could get out of that kind of trading relationship influenced quite a few to vote "out".

No idea what an economy which can't be so dictated would look like though. Subsistence agriculture? Barter?
Exactly, such a divorce from global currency trading is impossible. It's in place simply because no-one has invented another way of setting relative currency values, an essential for trade.

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
You really don't have to look desperately hard, for things going wrong, unless you want good news, have I missed any yet?
is it an accident that bad things are happening, just bad luck perhaps?
You really don't connect cause with effect, do you?
However I agree completely that Bitterness is a terrible thing, so why your bitter comments?
Do my observations not quite fit with your dream?
If it is so certain the correct choice was made, they should be water off a ducks back, as yours are to me.
A good decision needs to be able to stand up to criticism :)
My comments aren't bitter, i'm not complaining about the result like you are. Its plainly obvious to everyone on here that you see nothing but doom & gloom for the future. You may even be right, but its just your opinion, an assumption, not fact.
Whatever happens in the future its not written yet..... anything can happen.... things may work out for the better, they may not. Nothing bitter in that.

Ruadh495

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2015
I cannot respect the decision, simply because I cannot respect what I thought and still think is wrong. To do otherwise would be hypocritical. After all, when a political party wins an election, do the opposition then agree and cooperate with everything they do? Of course not, they continue to fight their position, and that's what I'm doing. As one of over 48% who voted to remain, I'm determined that our view is represented in something like a Norway type deal, far short of complete separation from the EU.

It's not a matter of vote value. Democracy for the Scots is deciding their own future. They are after all a separate country with their own government, and their history as a separate country outside of union is seven times longer than being in Great Britain.

They can choose their own future, either out of the UK and in the EU, or pursue the Denmark/Greenland option of being in the EU while still part of the UK. Or they can just stay as they are, their choice.
No problem with that, I might even consider moving to Scotland in my own self interest if they do. What they shouldn't be able to do is block England leaving the EU.

I think we have to respect the result, even if we believe it to be wrong. Democracy has no value and democratic government no moral authority otherwise. Unless, of course, we believe the referendum was flawed in such a way that it doesn't truly represent the will of the people...

It would be great if this country could become like Norway, but that would take a lot more than a similar relationship with the EU.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006

I know it's currently in vogue to blame others for anything that goes wrong. Everything is always someone else's fault and no one needs to take on responsibility for anything. Well reality has just struck home. They had a chance and they blew it, couldn't be @rsed to vote. Their vote could and would have made a difference. I think it would have been the wrong outcome, but it could have been theirs for the taking.

You're absolutely right Tillson, if they'd all turned out to vote we'd most likely have had the opposite result. So they can't blame the older generations, despite my feeling we let the young down since it is their future.

Ruadh495

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2015
Exactly, such a divorce from global currency trading is impossible. It's in place simply because no-one has invented another way of setting relative currency values, an essential for trade.
So the way out of that, long term, would be to aim for a global single currency? And a good start would have been to join the Euro...

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Now the speculators, sorry currency traders, can speculate against the Euro without feeling guilty...:rolleyes:

Advertisers