Hello

Tabs

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2016
Scotland
Just a quick hello to introduce myself, long time cyclist but new to the world of ebikes, I'm planning on converting a bike that I bought, I've already stripped it down to the bare frame and repainted it and I'm starting to put it back together, I'll put some pictures up as I go along, cheers

Clara

Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2016
Hello. Welcome to the forum. I have absolutely no clue about conversions but good luck.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Don't just buy any kit just because it's cheap, let us know the terrain and use you plan for the bike and what you want the bike to achieve. Have you had any thoughts about the type of kit you are looking for ?
Some times it can be better to but the tiems separately and make up your own kit.

Last edited:

Tabs

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2016
Scotland
Thanks for the reply nealh, I'll be using the bike mostly for travelling to work which is a round trip of 14 miles almost all on canal towpaths so it is almost all flat apart from a few small hills at the locks, I used to do the trip quite comfortably on my hybrid bike(which I'm keeping just as it is) but after a few years of not cycling and with a bit of arthritis in my hip it's not as enjoyable as it used to be, especially on the way home after your shift and the small hills are all on the way back. I used to pedal along at 12 mph all day long but that has dropped to 9/10mph and any time I put some extra effort in at the locks or a headwind the pain in my hip is a lot worse so I was thinking that an ebike would help to flatten the hills and cancel out any headwinds? The mechanical side of things, nuts and bolts etc I'm comfortable with but the electric side will new to me so buying a complete kit from the one place kind of makes sense to me until I'm fermiliar with how it all works, the 500w rear hub kit from EBC looks alright to me and the feedback on the forum has been mostly positive, cheers

Tabs

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2016
Scotland
Yes the canal paths are in pretty good condition and in the morning on my way to work they are not very busy but on the way home from work it's a different story, I'll put some pictures up once I work out how to do it, cheers

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Remember the 500 watt kit is illegal. Plenty of 250 watt kits around and they can give you 15 mph easy.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
if you can change the speed limit above 15.5 mph and it has a 250w motor its still illegal.

same as using a dongle on a 250w bosch bike does the same thing in lifting the 15.5 mph limit.

so best off with a 1000w motor and stick a 250w sticker on it ;)

Tabs

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2016
Scotland
I know above 250w is for off road only but is it not better to have a wee bit extra than not enough? I wouldn't think that the police would be that interested on what size the motor was or if they are even bothered about ebikes? As soundwave said just stick a 250w sticker on it,don't think anyone would be any the wiser. On a side note I've just noticed the price of the kit has gone up by £30!

Reactions: Kinninvie

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
if you can change the speed limit above 15.5 mph and it has a 250w motor its still illegal.

same as using a dongle on a 250w bosch bike does the same thing in lifting the 15.5 mph limit.

It's an of road switch that makes it illegal. Reprogramming is also illegal. The ability to reprogram isn't. If it's sold as a legal kit without a switch its legal.
Defeating the limiter makes it illegal like a dongle.
Having a 1000watt motor is automatically illegal. Having a 250watt rated motor that can take 1000w isn't.
Putting your own sticker on is an aggravating factor, showing intent to brake the law and attempting to con the police.
Yes it's low risk but it could cost you thousands as well as your licence/ prison. Drunk driving anyone?
Edit in this case when I say illegal, it is illegal to use on land with public access.
So you can have a 1000watt unlimited bike in the garage. The moment you cycle anywhere with public access, you commit a criminal offence.
As dongle use or unlimited speed cycling would be also.
It would take a seriously tough police man to try and do you for pushing one in a public place.
But pedal one cm and you risk all.

Last edited:

Tabs

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2016
Scotland
Bit like having a Ferrari when a fiesta will do the legal limit comfortabley, there's probably not a car sold today that can't do over 100mph but the speed limit is 70mph, I'll bet every driver has broken the speed limit at some point? And as for trying to put having a bigger motor than the law allows in the same bracket as drink driving..............?????? Don't think you can. Anyhow back on track do you think the 500w motor will suit my needs, cheers

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch

Legal and lawful.

'Illegal' describes an act that is unlawful and also a criminal act, such as murder, theft, criminal damage. Crimes.

'Unlawful' means it is against the law, but not necessarily a criminal act; it can be a civil wrong, such as trademark infringement, for which the wrongdoer may be sued, but will unlikely face criminal prosecution.

Just saying.. :D

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
Anyhow back on track do you think the 500w motor will suit my needs, cheers
Realistically, a 250w would probably suit your needs at 15 mph.

Then later, whilst commuting on your quiet towpath, you may wish to go slightly faster than that. Say 20 mph. The 500w might suit your needs then. Decisions, decisions. :)

Whatever you choose Tabs, drive sensibly though eh mate. :)

Reactions: Tabs

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Bit like having a Ferrari when a fiesta will do the legal limit comfortabley, there's probably not a car sold today that can't do over 100mph but the speed limit is 70mph, I'll bet every driver has broken the speed limit at some point? And as for trying to put having a bigger motor than the law allows in the same bracket as drink driving..............?????? Don't think you can. Anyhow back on track do you think the 500w motor will suit my needs, cheers
No, I don't think a 500w will suit you, at least until you grasp the implications.

In the pedelec world things are not as straight forward as they first appear.

250w does not mean 250w. Off road does not mean 'Not on the road', and laws that apply to cars mostly don't to pedelecs.

Welcome, just remember its complicated.

Tabs

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2016
Scotland
It doesn't appear to be straightforward, how does 250w not mean 250w? Is it to do with the controller? I was thinking that cause am a big boned guy,19+ stone a wee bit extra power would be useful? I should add at this point I've not tried an ebike yet,I'll need to book a test drive at Halfords or something, cheers

• Agree

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
It doesn't appear to be straightforward, how does 250w not mean 250w? Is it to do with the controller? I was thinking that cause am a big boned guy,19+ stone a wee bit extra power would be useful? I should add at this point I've not tried an ebike yet,I'll need to book a test drive at Halfords or something, cheers
If you are looking at the 500w kit from electric Bike Conversions, then I advise against it. Its a Direct Drive motor, which wont be much good for you. Its wound for 30mph, which means it will have very little torque.

Either a geared hub motor, or a crank drive motor would suit you. Hub motor will be cheaper. If you don't need assistance over 18mph, then 250w will be enough.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: RobF and LeighPing

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
You could always try one of those new G-Tech ebikes, for a free two week trial, and then send it back if it doesn't meet your needs. ;)

Tabs

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2016
Scotland
Geared hub motor,any recommendations? The gteck bike looks ok but at a £1000 it's a bit more than I want to spend and if I got it to try I might just keep it!

• Agree