It is amazing how badly informed we were prior to the referendum

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
I was speaking with one of my suppliers today,an educated guy,he was and still is so badly informed about the referendum...
1. He didn't know that the referendum had no legal power,it was purely advisory.
2. He didn't know that only parliament could trigger Article 50,the leave mechanism.
3. He thought that we had 2 years to leave,I pointed out that the 2 years is from when we trigger Article 50.
4. He didn't know that the timescale for us to negotiate to leave is infinite,could be 10 years.
5. He didn't know that the EU cannot eject us,there is no mechanism to do that.
......perhaps if the people were educated to the above,they may have been more careful about their vote.
Farage isn't stupid,he knows that the immediate time after the referendum is about as good as it can appear to the electorate....when they wake up to the fact that their vote was really a waste of time, for Parliament is not going to vote to leave any time soon,this is endorsed by the fact that Theresa May got such a big vote to be PM,it is obvious she is still a remainer but needs to appear a Brexit to convince all the Tory Party both remainers and leavers.
She will appoint a team of 'spanner rattlers',make a lot of noise but actually do nothing,Crabb would be a good guy to appoint to that job.
KudosDave

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing
Mar 9, 2016
I do agree with you Dave with a bit of a proviso.
Reports I read yesterday suggested the law enforcing our pm to go to a vote can be either amended or even resinded if our courts deem required. The report suggested they would.
Also eu countries can be expelled for severe breaches of human rights ( not in keeping with eu ethos) under Article 7. Its highly unlikely to be invoked but it has been suggested our not allowing prisoners to vote could be used to justify it.(I doubt it, there ate at least 4 countries in EU with similar policy to ours but our government has ignored requests to debate this issue)

My biggest shock has been Csmerons lack of preperation for an exit vote and same for Gove,Johnson and Farage. Nobody had anything remotely resembling a plan for this outcome. Totally inexcuseable for all parties.
IMO it has not been the brexit vote intrinsically causing the financial problems but the inept arrangements to implement it , combined with Osbournes stupid fear campaign panicking folk into hysteria.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: RobF and tillson

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I do agree with you Dave with a bit of a proviso.
Reports I read yesterday suggested the law enforcing our pm to go to a vote can be either amended or even resinded if our courts deem required. The report suggested they would.
Also eu countries can be expelled for severe breaches of human rights ( not in keeping with eu ethos) under Article 7. Its highly unlikely to be invoked but it has been suggested our not allowing prisoners to vote could be used to justify it.(I doubt it, there ate at least 4 countries in EU with similar policy to ours but our government has ignored requests to debate this issue)

My biggest shock has been Csmerons lack of preperation for an exit vote and same for Gove,Johnson and Farage. Nobody had anything remotely resembling a plan for this outcome. Totally inexcuseable for all parties.
IMO it has not been the brexit vote intrinsically causing the financial problems but the inept arrangements to implement it , combined with Osbournes stupid fear campaign panicking folk into hysteria.
The thought occurs that the Referendum was actually just a staged and choreographed "contest" organised by the main contenders to a pre arranged plan, rather like WWF wrestling.
It was simply intended to fulfil a manifesto pledge
If that was the case there would indeed be no need for planning as the result was considered by both sides pre ordained.
They misjudged the intensity public anger, which is surprising when they have been creating a situation directing it against the EU for many years, ably assisted by the Press.
No wonder Cameron suddenly springing to it's defence sounded like a lie.
A grave error of judgement on both sides, reminiscent of the Moment in file "The Italian job" Where Michael Caine (nee Cameron) shouts as the explosives expert (Boris) training to crack a safe.
"I only told you to blow the Bloody doors off!"
Remember I forecast the result before it happened, it was obvious what was going on.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: eHomer and Croxden
Mar 9, 2016
The thought occurs that the Referendum was actually just a staged and choreographed "contest" organised by the main contenders to a pre arranged plan, rather like WWF wrestling.
It was simply intended to fulfil a manifesto pledge
If that was the case there would indeed be no need for planning as the result was considered by both sides pre ordained.
They misjudged the intensity public anger, which is surprising when they have been creating a situation directing it against the EU for many years, ably assisted by the Press.
No wonder Cameron suddenly springing to it's defence sounded like a lie.
A grave error of judgement on both sides, reminiscent of the Moment in file "The Italian job" Where Michael Caine (nee Cameron) shouts as the explosives expert (Boris) training to crack a safe.
"I only told you to blow the Bloody doors off!"
Remember I forecast the result before it happened, it was obvious what was going on.
Well I can't believe it...you,ve actually made a good point I can almost agree with..
I began to think same yesterday. When government lawyers are saying laws can be altered so next pm can invoke article 50 without a house vote meansto me there are some unseen powerful players wanting out...???

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Well I can't believe it...you,ve actually made a good point I can almost agree with..
I began to think same yesterday. When government lawyers are saying laws can be altered so next pm can invoke article 50 without a house vote meansto me there are some unseen powerful players wanting out...???
Perhaps I'm not entirely mad then Flud ?
But there are some disturbing signs about the whole affair not being above board aren't there?
One has to wonder who is pulling the strings.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
No , not entirely OG !!
The whole affair is shambolic..
Agreed, if further suspicions are aroused perhaps we can amicably share them?
There was a possibly significant remark by Murdoch yesterday to the effect of if promises are not kept there will be another bloody rebellion.
The meaning is one I am trying to decipher.
Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

:p

Reactions: oldgroaner

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I don't think any plan could have stopped traders manipulating the market after a momentous event such as this.
The question is, how long before the Pound recovers? the last time time Pound fell off the cliff was in August 2008. The Pound fell from $2, by January 2009, it was $1.38, 62c drop in value or about 31%. It then settle around $1.55 - $1.60, 22% less than pre 2008 recession. The Pound remained more or less stable from 2009 to 2015 at that level.

Reactions: mike killay

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Somewhere, some reckless gambler/ international financier is making a lot of money speculating in the pound

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Somewhere, some reckless gambler/ international financier is making a lot of money speculating in the pound
Mike,you are absolutely right,the guy who shorted the pound before the referendum at 1.47 $,buying back at 1.29 made a lot of money.
Actually when you think about it,1.47 was a good rate historically.
The same guy,when Theresa May comes out and says that our EU negotiations are not going well and we may be better staying in but with an improved deal,will also make a lot of money.
Easy in hindsight.
George Soros says he didn't play the pound V dollar ?

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
On another forum, the point has been raised that the Arab Spring was a symptom of modern politics and elites are being overthrown, not just there, but the UK, possibly Europe and now the USA.
So, put your money on Trump if you gamble.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
On another forum, the point has been raised that the Arab Spring was a symptom of modern politics and elites are being overthrown,
There was never an Arab Spring, it was just a fabrication of wishful thinking by the Western powers, hoping that they could by provocation and assistance trigger democracy in the Middle East.

They failed.

The elite haven't been overthrown, by a circuitous route the military were returned to power in Egypt, Bashir Assad remains in power in Syria, while Iraq and Libya have been reduced to total chaos with many of their citizens wishing their former dictators had never lost power. Afghanistan is well on its way back to Taliban rule and only the outside assistance is preventing Isis being in Islamic fundamentalist control in Iraq.

The only good thing coming out of all this is that the West is finally learning at last that intevening with military force brings no benefit.

• Agree
Reactions: mike killay

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014
There was never an Arab Spring, it was just a fabrication of wishful thinking by the Western powers, hoping that they could by provocation and assistance trigger democracy in the Middle East.

They failed.

The elite haven't been overthrown, by a circuitous route the military were returned to power in Egypt, Bashir Assad remains in power in Syria, while Iraq and Libya have been reduced to total chaos with many of their citizens wishing their former dictators had never lost power. Afghanistan is well on its way back to Taliban rule and only the outside assistance is preventing Isis being in Islamic fundamentalist control in Iraq.

The only good thing coming out of all this is that the West is finally learning at last that intevening with military force brings no benefit.
Would agree,except for the fact that I thought George bush was the bottom of the barrel as far as american moral consciousness went and then trump came along..

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Would agree,except for the fact that I thought George bush was the bottom of the barrel as far as american moral consciousness went and then trump came along..
Trump is all wind, he makes a lot of noise but it won't amount to anything. We've already seen him backing off from many statements in order to get accepted as the nominee, and I'm sure that will be his style if he gets into office. Lots of noise, little results.
He doesn't seem to realise the huge difference between running a company and running a country. He can't sack the citizens, but they can sack him.

• Agree
Reactions: trex

Advertisers