Brexit,actually the UK has come out rather well.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Same here,my sales to the EU have increased since the £ v € has fallen to 1.20. That's good but when I replace those products at £ v $ at 1.30 it doesn't look so good.
Prices will have to rise so the exchange rate advantage to the EUcustomer will be nullified.
I don't buy much from the EU but some of my competitors are 100% supplied from Italy,they are not so happy
KudosDave
Ah. Just bought some ebike bits from Italy... know what you mean..lol

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
The exchange rate has nothing to do with brexit, that's just smoke and mirrors. The Bank of England is desperate to weaken stirling, though they will never openly say so, because the ensuing inflation makes government debt cheaper to pay back. The general public and traders are the ones to pay the price. It's also called a stealth tax.
If the £/$ rate or £/ Euro rate stays low for too long, then those currencies will be weakened relative to the pound. It's a big game/race to the bottom, all because governments worldwide have spent years in deficit spending, spending our future and our childrens future by printing money out of thin air. The levels of debt are now so massive that they cannot be paid back----ever.
Have a look at this:
http://www.nationaldebtclocks.org/debtclock/unitedstates
Not only are the numbers incomprehensible, the speed at which they move is truly frightening. Think that the dollar doesn't affect you? Have look at this:
http://www.debtclocks.eu/public-debt-and-budget-deficit-of-the-united-kingdom.html
This is why your savings never seem to grow, the value(spending power) of the £10 note in your pocket, is diminishing as you read this. All because your government (doesn't matter what colour) has decided, on your behalf, to spend money it hasn't got or earned.
This is truly criminal as demonstrated by what would happen to you if you tried the same trick.
Sorry guys, just had to rant.:mad:
I LOVE MY EZEE CONVERSION !:)

chris130256

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 4, 2016
herefordshire
Benjahmin, well said. This government borrowing/spending policy goes against everything I learnt growing up to do with money. I was taught that debt was evil and shamefull! If I didn't save up for something, I didn't get it. I've lived my life by this rule, apart from a mortgage.
How times have changed. It seems normal now for households to have tens of thousands of pounds worth of debt just so they can have new cars, holidays and consumer crap they don't need.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Benjahmin, well said. This government borrowing/spending policy goes against everything I learnt growing up to do with money. I was taught that debt was evil and shamefull! If I didn't save up for something, I didn't get it. I've lived my life by this rule, apart from a mortgage.
How times have changed. It seems normal now for households to have tens of thousands of pounds worth of debt just so they can have new cars, holidays and consumer crap they don't need.
I think the problem is that a lot of younger people look at such as me/us and seeing what we have they want the same but want it now! And they dont take into account the 40+years of working that it has taken to get here.
It seems not uncommon to add an extra 20 grand on top of a mortgage to buy a new car.... In fact most new car deals are aimed specifically at buyers who cant afford one!!
And when they fall behind with the payments there are all these nearly new cars for sale...

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs

Artmuzz

Pedelecer
Jul 10, 2016
Scotland
My local health food shop has put the price up on bottled Kombucha Tea which is produced in Yorkshire yet the shop owner told me the reason for the increase was because of Brexit. I thought Brexit only affected the price of imported goods into the UK.

cookie

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 17, 2016
Don't Labour principles support the free movement of people and many of the human rights laws,it would surely be a rejection of core labour.
If Corbyn voted leave,he would be kicked out by both the MPs and his own voting party....don't forget most young people voted remain.
KudosDave
Most young people never voted

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I too have put up my prices because of Brexit..
It costs me £3.15 to send a package to America thats worth between £10 and £16, and to be competitive I only charged £2.25. Now that my stuff is a good bit cheaper over there I have increased my shipping charge to £2.50..
I know its small potatoes in the grand scheme of things, and 25p doesn't sound much but it does add up and its the currency problems caused by Brexit thats allowed me to do it..

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
My local health food shop has put the price up on bottled Kombucha Tea which is produced in Yorkshire yet the shop owner told me the reason for the increase was because of Brexit. I thought Brexit only affected the price of imported goods into the UK.
There have been some cases where the price increase has been due to the packaging. Amazingly some of our largest food producers in this country import all their labels and often containers from Germany. Why we can't print such simple things as labels in the UK is baffling, and it does make one wonder how on earth we'll manage on our own after Brexit.

• Informative
Reactions: VictoryV
There have been some cases where the price increase has been due to the packaging. Amazingly some of our largest food producers in this country import all their labels and often containers from Germany. Why we can't print such simple things as labels in the UK is baffling, and it does make one wonder how on earth we'll manage on our own after Brexit.
also don't forget, you have to transport anything. Fuel has jumped a lot since referendum, all do to with it being purchased in $$ I think.

And don't forget that the business owner in the UK has had all his/her costs go up. He / she has to eat, buy coffee for the office etc etc. Just because the direct product cost goes up, doesn't mean the end user cost isn't going up because of Brexit.

Lots of people look at RRP as a really simple number, its influenced by a LOT of things.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
There are so many angles to this Brexit thing with some saying its a good thing and some not, but at the end of the day we all voted for a Conservative government that was offering a referendum on the EU, which we were given as promised.
I find it interesting that the losers want a re run on the referendum which they lost, but not of the Government election which they one!

Reactions: gray198 and cookie
I find it interesting that the losers want a re run on the referendum which they lost, but not of the Government election which they one!
This doesn't make any logic... the election will get a rerun Thursday 7 May 2020 at the latest.

Also I'm sure many were in favour of a referendum, but expected it to be run with a bit more of a basis in fact. The one we got was not something anyone can be proud of surely.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Actually the opposite for the referendum, it was those wanting to leave who demanded the re run of the 1975 referendum which voted to stay in.

And not entirely true of the government election either, since many including me have called for a fresh general election, on the grounds that Theresa May's choices are very far from the David Cameron manifesto we voted on in the general election.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
This doesn't make any logic... the election will get a rerun Thursday 7 May 2020 at the latest.

Also I'm sure many were in favour of a referendum, but expected it to be run with a bit more of a basis in fact. The one we got was not something anyone can be proud of surely.
So what are you saying ? The politicians, dont tell the truth, they openly lie, misdirect , bend the truth to suit their agenda, manipulate figures and statistics to prove a dubious truth..
It would seem that the majority thought it went ok, and the minority seem to think that the majority want to change their minds..
A good example is the figures on the young peoples vote.. It was said that a high percentage voted to stay, I think it was 75% or some such, when in fact that was the percentage of the few that voted and when added to those that didnt this percentage then becomes much lower, so most young people were not actually bothered.
TBH however it goes doesnt make much difference to me, in or out I am not that bothered, but I had a vote, voted out and see no reason to change that if given the chance.

So what are you saying ? The politicians, dont tell the truth, they openly lie, misdirect , bend the truth to suit their agenda, manipulate figures and statistics to prove a dubious truth..
It would seem that the majority thought it went ok, and the minority seem to think that the majority want to change their minds..
A good example is the figures on the young peoples vote.. It was said that a high percentage voted to stay, I think it was 75% or some such, when in fact that was the percentage of the few that voted and when added to those that didnt this percentage then becomes much lower, so most young people were not actually bothered.
TBH however it goes doesnt make much difference to me, in or out I am not that bothered, but I had a vote, voted out and see no reason to change that if given the chance.
we're in danger of getting into a debate, that I'm afraid you won't win if you think the majority voted for Brexit.

They didn't. That's a simple fact.

You think in a referendum for change, that people not voting means they want the change, that's nonsense I'm afraid. It clearly shows a status of not understanding the question, or a happyness with the status quo. If they didn't fancy change, why bother going to vote when all predictions were that remain would win anyway.

Also the fact you don't think it'll make much difference to you, also means you're not aware of the impacts of leaving.

So there is no point me trying to explain things to you I suspect.

• Disagree
Reactions: Izzyekerslike