Brexit, for once some facts.

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014
All a truck driver has in front of him are a sheet of thin steel and a sheet of laminated glass. Hot lead will stop him in his tracks, all it needs is presence of mind and I wouldn't hesitate in this circumstance.
Yes,but stopping g power (muzzle energy) gets into it,specially if one hits a committed fanatic in a non critical body part. And the50 is an anti materiel round,it will stop the truck,regardless of driver. I guess I'm the kind of belts and braces type that would rather have overkill on my side with a 20 ton truck coming at me

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Mmmm. That contradicts all the benefits many stayers have been attributing to h&s through eu..
But you are right...there is a happy compromise somewhere, trouble is we all draw line in a different place..
I also think it highlights the point I made weeks ago about our closest cultural cousins are over the big pond somewhere. The blame and claim culture has taken hold far stronger here than France.
Can you really imagine folk's reaction if some young lad ( underage) drove through town on pavement, no tax, test , insurance or even registered ??? Then think what would happen if he bumped into someone. I,m not saying right or wrong either way ( but as normal you look for the argument) I,m highlighting our differences with France/ French.

And its far from foolish. Its called being prepared and doing things properly for benefit of all. Strictly speaking a 14 kid shouldn't be riding up library steps on his trials bike ! But my village in France see it as ok...or turn a blind eye anyway. Until it goes wrong !

The same French attitude sees far more killed on their roads...sees far more uninsured drivers, sees much more drink driving...

Interestingly the French have a 100bhp limit on bikes sold in country.( its under review and bikers do get around it, ) but they don't have mot ( control technique) for motorcycles.( again under review but at moment there isn't one)

So if you bought a new Fireblade in France it would be limited to 100bhp but nobody would ever check it throughout its life...on anything !!! ( I didn't know about 100bhp limit , bought a Blackbird engine for a car and was seriously disappointed...was a French spec engine...easy to get through SVA / emissions tho)( meant a cam change and remap/ power commander..a lot of hassle)
No road tax either..and control technique every two years. Very thorough test but cars pass that would fail mot ! Again very odd. Got a list of stuff needing doing ( including deff fail in UK) and a pass cert...!!
Same old off topic anti French Flud

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
The benefits of our wonderful Government that no doubt helped make the protest element of the misplaced Brexit vote much bigger
"
Using data from the OECD’s recent employment outlook, the TUC found that over the same 2007-2015 period, real wages grew in Poland by 23%, in Germany by 14%, and in France by 11%. Across the OECD, real wages increased by an average of 6.7%.

The TUC found that between 2007 and 2015 in the UK, real wages – income from work adjusted for inflation – fell by 10.4%. That drop was equalled only by Greece in a list of 29 countries in the Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD).

The UK, Greece and Portugal were the only three OECD countries that saw real wages fall."
Time for some of the Goodness to Flow!

Mar 9, 2016
Kudos
Your point re French being awkward is a fair one but fact that border with us is less dangerous is probably reason its understaffed ? Playing devils advocate a bit here but they might have reduced " none dangerous" borders to mminimum staff, releasing manpower for land borders ???

Flecc
In an ideal world I,d agree, in the one we live in I,d take our police force over any in world, but then again in an ideal world we would nt need police or army or health and safety..or laws...but...

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Yes,but stopping g power (muzzle energy) gets into it,specially if one hits a committed fanatic in a non critical body part. And the50 is an anti materiel round,it will stop the truck,regardless of driver. I guess I'm the kind of belts and braces type that would rather have overkill on my side with a 20 ton truck coming at me
And accuracy too a 50 cal that misses anything substantial/ or ricochets will travel a long way with enough energy to do a lot of damage.
The 5.56 is much easier to control and hit with in a panicked state. And after window and thin steel combo will still hurt but for much reduced range.
Look at the hit pattern on the front of the truck for accuracy estimates.

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Yesterday, I came across the verdict of John Bercow in regard to the allegations made by Seema Malhotra, one of the Blairite coup plotters trying to oust Jeremt Corbyn.

Now, John Bercow is no friend of the Labour Party but he makes a reasonable fist of being even-handed in the Commons as Speaker of the House. I picked up the news item from Vox Political, also a fairly even-handed organ, albeit a strong left-wing expressionist.

Mike Sivier is always worth a read as he keeps things short and to the point, not always taking the same view as me but clearly presenting his own independent view, rather than simply toeing the official Labour Party line.

Here is the piece:
http://voxpoliticalonline.com/2016/07/26/bercow-rules-against-malhotra-in-office-unauthorised-entry-row/

Tom

• Agree
Reactions: derf

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the current foreign divestment runs in billions a month, completely overwhelms one or two sizeable foreign takeovers (eg ARM holding). Even before brexit happens for real, we are losing high skill jobs. That puts pressure on the Pound and tax income and therefore public services. If you happen to be unskilled, you will feel the same competition from immigration unchanged.
I guess by the new year, the economic picture will be clear to all and I hope that the country will come to realize soon how damaging brexit is to most.

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
So, now the Archbishop of Canterbury has spoken!

It offends me that in this 21st century, (AD!), The British public still accept, one - the House of Lords - and two, - the presence of a bunch of men who wear dresses and silly hats in that chamber.....and some complain of unelected people in Brussels holding influence over us.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35781613

Tom

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
flud, you disagreed, fair enough, but do you know that foreign investments in the UK add up to 1.32 trillions Pounds?, not millions or billions, trillions. Get that figure - it has a long way to go but if foreigners don't believe brexiters are going to make this country perform better than EU membership, they will continue to withdraw their money and bleed this country until the pips squeak.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
tillson, you disagreed, fair enough, derf is a case in point. He is a highly skilled worker in the NHS, he pays his taxes and he does not believe in brexit. He's moving to an EU country and he is not alone. We get to keep the unskilled immigrants while we lose derfs. How good to the country is that? brexiters do not like to talk about foreign investors but that's how the world see how good we are.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
  • Agree
Reactions: derf

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Glaxo were among the doom mongers, but oh look, they've decided the UK is not such a bad place to do business after all.

As a big, successful business, Glaxo has the nous to work out how to profit and make the best of any situation.

Instead of moaning, which is pretty much all I've seen from the business community on here.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36901027

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
tillson, you disagreed, fair enough, derf is a case in point. He is a highly skilled worker in the NHS, he pays his taxes and he does not believe in brexit. He's moving to an EU country and he is not alone. We get to keep the unskilled immigrants while we lose derfs. How good to the country is that? brexiters do not like to talk about foreign investors but that's how the world see how good we are.
That is what we were told would happen and ok, derf has moved or is thinking of moving, I'm not sure which. But the investment announcement this morning seems to contradict this. The CEO of that company, who backed remain, has said that the UK will continue to be a source of skilled labour despite the Brexit vote. Not only this, they have put their money where their mouth is and invested and will create skilled jobs. But ok, I concede, we may lose derf, but I hope we don't.

Now you have to admit, if Glaxo had pulled out of the U.K. today, giving Brexit as the reason, you and OG would be creaming in your jeans with excitement and glee :) Brexit does not have the monopoly on bad news. Share the love.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Instead of moaning, which is pretty much all I've seen from the business community on here.
can't you see why? they all have to put up their prices. Chinese bikes that used to sell at £1,299 now will have to go up by £150, to £1449. At this sort of price, they are bound to lose sales to European made bikes.

• Agree
Reactions: derf and flecc

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
That is what we were told would happen and ok, derf has moved or is thinking of moving, I'm not sure which. But the investment announcement this morning seems to contradict this. The CEO of that company, who backed remain, has said that the UK will continue to be a source of skilled labour despite the Brexit vote. Not only this, they have put their money where their mouth is and invested and will create skilled jobs. But ok, I concede, we may lose derf, but I hope we don't.

Now you have to admit, if Glaxo had pulled out of the U.K. today, giving Brexit as the reason, you and OG would be creaming in your jeans with excitement and glee :) Brexit does not have the monopoly on bad news. Share the love.
Perhaps you no longer read my posts?
Try again and don't make silly remarks when posting

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Glaxo were among the doom mongers, but oh look, they've decided the UK is not such a bad place to do business after all.
Really? I'm a cynic with these announcements about investment and X number of jobs being created. In reality all too often they eventually turn out to be little more than the announcement. I suspect they are very often just doing political favours with propaganda.

What counts with me was GSK shutting down their research location near me with some 400 research staff thrown out of work, some of them my near neighbours. That wasn't just an announcement, it was real.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: oldtom

Advertisers