Brexit, for once some facts.

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014
[QUOTE="tillson, post: 322487, memctly my point, cloud cuckoo land.

I guess the cops were powerless to lock him up under the mental health act or for his own safety after the experts ruled him to be sane. The diagnosis fatally weakens the police's hand. That just leaves a very very thin, threats to kill charge, for which he would not be remanded in custody even if the charge was accepted. Especially if a defence solicitor quoted the nut-job expert's diagnosis.

I've had no mental health education, all of my academic training has been in sciences and engineering. However, I do know that slicing your own hands to pieces with a large butcher's knife is not consistant with a pattern of behaviour shown by a sane and rational human being. I don't need training to be able to identify this.

As I say, these self appointed experts present a grave danger to themselves and the public. They are almost as insane as the people they are supposed to be spitting. Perhaps that's the problem.[/QUOTE]

I don't want to derail the thread, and getting into sectioning under the mental health act and he offence of threat to kill could get involved. I worked in an adult mental health team and linked with an inpatient ward in the NHS before leaving UK and can tell you practically what the biggest factor is - the availability of inpatient beds,I.e places. And the main reason for these being unavailable,and much more serious serious and untoward incidents than what you describe were stealth cuts to the health service by a conservative government. Under the financial meltdown that is brexit this will become much worse. On balance I think those who voted leave have done more damage to the community in the UK than any other group in at least 70 years.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and trex

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
[QUOTE="tillson, post: 322487, memctly my point, cloud cuckoo land.

I guess the cops were powerless to lock him up under the mental health act or for his own safety after the experts ruled him to be sane. The diagnosis fatally weakens the police's hand. That just leaves a very very thin, threats to kill charge, for which he would not be remanded in custody even if the charge was accepted. Especially if a defence solicitor quoted the nut-job expert's diagnosis.

I've had no mental health education, all of my academic training has been in sciences and engineering. However, I do know that slicing your own hands to pieces with a large butcher's knife is not consistant with a pattern of behaviour shown by a sane and rational human being. I don't need training to be able to identify this.

As I say, these self appointed experts present a grave danger to themselves and the public. They are almost as insane as the people they are supposed to be spitting. Perhaps that's the problem.

I don't want to derail the thread, and getting into sectioning under the mental health act and he offence of threat to kill could get involved. I worked in an adult mental health team and linked with an inpatient ward in the NHS before leaving UK and can tell you practically what the biggest factor is - the availability of inpatient beds,I.e places. And the main reason for these being unavailable,and much more serious serious and untoward incidents than what you describe were stealth cuts to the health service by a conservative government. Under the financial meltdown that is brexit this will become much worse. On balance I think those who voted leave have done more damage to the community in the UK than any other group in at least 70 years.[/QUOTE]

I think I agree with you over mental health services courts. There simply is not enough resource to support the number of mental health patients.

I have come across others similar to the man that I mentioned earlier, but he was the most memorable. I don't know what happened to him, probably killed himself for somebody else.

Reactions: derf

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Raiffeisen Gmund am Tegernsee, a German cooperative savings bank in the Bavarian village of Gmund am Tegernsee, with a population 5,767, finally gave in to the ECB's monetary repression, and announced it’ll start charging retail customers to hold their cash. Starting September, for savings in excess of €100,000 euros, the community’s Raiffeisen bank will charge a 0.4% rate. That represents the first direct pass through of the current level of the ECB’s negative deposit rate on to retail depositors.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Raiffeisen Gmund am Tegernsee, a German cooperative savings bank in the Bavarian village of Gmund am Tegernsee, with a population 5,767, finally gave in to the ECB's monetary repression, and announced it’ll start charging retail customers to hold their cash. Starting September, for savings in excess of €100,000 euros, the community’s Raiffeisen bank will charge a 0.4% rate. That represents the first direct pass through of the current level of the ECB’s negative deposit rate on to retail depositors.
Great attempt at "Spin" do explain your logical process regarding "monetary repression" by the ECB when the same is on the point of happening here?

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and derf

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
"
Brexit is ‘FULL STEAM AHEAD’ as Theresa May VOWS to get Britain out of the EU quickly
THERESA May is working “full steam ahead” to finish Brexit deals as fears mount that delays could lead to Britain being tied to the European Union for another three years.
Brexit is the Prime Minister’s “top priority”, according to a Downing Street spokeswoman, as calls grow for Mrs May to trigger Article 50.

But there are concerns that “chaotic” Whitehall civil service departments are woefully unprepared for the changes Britain’s divorce from Brussels would cause.
City insiders said Whitehall staff would not be ready to trigger Article 50 for another 12 months.

But prominent Eurosceptic Jacob Rees-Mogg has slammed dithering civil service staff and called for Mrs May to speed up Britain’s EU departure.

He said: “Any suggestion Whitehall ‘is not ready’ just won’t do. The job of the civil service is to implement the political will.

“If it can’t what is point of the Cabinet Secretary?”
A Cabinet source said yesterday problems hiring staff for David Davis and Liam Fox’s Brexit and International Trade departments were stalling progress on Britain’s exit from the EU.

Mr Davis and Mr Fox are desperately trying to recruit staff during Parliament’s summer recess.

Mr Fox needs up to 1,000 trade policy experts but currently has fewer than 100.

Mr Davis will employ up to 250 new staff members – but also currently has less than half the staff he needs.
And there was a Poll and 100% of the readers (me included) voted to invoke article 50 immediately!
After all if we wait for a Tory Government to get it's act in order we will wait forever, won't we?

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and derf

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014
"
Brexit is ‘FULL STEAM AHEAD’ as Theresa May VOWS to get Britain out of the EU quickly
THERESA May is working “full steam ahead” to finish Brexit deals as fears mount that delays could lead to Britain being tied to the European Union for another three years.
Brexit is the Prime Minister’s “top priority”, according to a Downing Street spokeswoman, as calls grow for Mrs May to trigger Article 50.

But there are concerns that “chaotic” Whitehall civil service departments are woefully unprepared for the changes Britain’s divorce from Brussels would cause.
City insiders said Whitehall staff would not be ready to trigger Article 50 for another 12 months.

But prominent Eurosceptic Jacob Rees-Mogg has slammed dithering civil service staff and called for Mrs May to speed up Britain’s EU departure.

He said: “Any suggestion Whitehall ‘is not ready’ just won’t do. The job of the civil service is to implement the political will.

“If it can’t what is point of the Cabinet Secretary?”
A Cabinet source said yesterday problems hiring staff for David Davis and Liam Fox’s Brexit and International Trade departments were stalling progress on Britain’s exit from the EU.

Mr Davis and Mr Fox are desperately trying to recruit staff during Parliament’s summer recess.

Mr Fox needs up to 1,000 trade policy experts but currently has fewer than 100.

Mr Davis will employ up to 250 new staff members – but also currently has less than half the staff he needs.
And there was a Poll and 100% of the readers (me included) voted to invoke article 50 immediately!
After all if we wait for a Tory Government to get it's act in order we will wait forever, won't we?
if i knew invoking article 50 would simply eject a tory government via a temporary financial hernia, i'd say let's go for it. the problem is that its unclear where the bottom of this particular barrel is? And its not only a financial issue, if the economy goes badly wrontg, it's hard not to imagine scotland having its rereferendum and leaving, and all the other collateral stuff happening. I wasnt here during the previous bust during the thatcher years. But it strikes me that this bust could be terminal.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
if i knew invoking article 50 would simply eject a tory government via a temporary financial hernia, i'd say let's go for it. the problem is that its unclear where the bottom of this particular barrel is? And its not only a financial issue, if the economy goes badly wrontg, it's hard not to imagine scotland having its rereferendum and leaving, and all the other collateral stuff happening. I wasnt here during the previous bust during the thatcher years. But it strikes me that this bust could be terminal.
Our problem is that there seems no other way other than that of making the experiment as it is the only way of proving that the principle of reverting to the mess we were in before joining the EU is a "Wrong 'un!"
Otherwise this will fester and be exploited by the rabid right wing press for evermore.
Time to "put the money where the mouth is" and try to minimise the damage.
As to Scotland I have to say that my opinion as a member of Clan Bell is that we made a mistake not to choose independence at the referendum.
Which makes me hopelessly biased on the subject! and on that I plead guilty as charged.
Had we done so we would have remained in the EU!

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014
Our problem is that there seems no other way other than that of making the experiment as it is the only way of proving that the principle of reverting to the mess we were in before joining the EU is a "Wrong 'un!"
Otherwise this will fester and be exploited by the rabid right wing press for evermore.
Time to "put the money where the mouth is" and try to minimise the damage.
As to Scotland I have to say that my opinion as a member of Clan Bell is that we made a mistake not to choose independence at the referendum.
Which makes me hopelessly biased on the subject! and on that I plead guilty as charged.
Had we done so we would have remained in the EU!
well one answer i guess is that the pound will go down to 1.14 this week
https://www.poundsterlinglive.com/eur/5316-pound-to-euro-forecast-for-the-week-ahead-2
so about 7 weeks untill parity. I guess article 50 or not we will revert to the way we were in before joining the EU, and all the consequences of leaving will happen, regardless of what we do now. I guess youre right about a rabid right wing that will always be there unless comprehensively silenced, but this is a very costly way to resolve that problem, if only cameron minded his own business and let the tory party fester instead of nuking the UK.

• Agree

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
OG
I am not spinning anything, merely reporting things that I have seen on other forums.
And, as a conservative, I should object to the ready assumption about 'rabid right wingers'
As far as I can see, the hard left wing 'Spend, spend, spend' nutters are far more of a menace

• Agree
Reactions: gray198 and tillson

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014
OG
I am not spinning anything, merely reporting things that I have seen on other forums.
And, as a conservative, I should object to the ready assumption about 'rabid right wingers'
As far as I can see, the hard left wing 'Spend, spend, spend' nutters are far more of a menace
as far as i know it was thatcher's deregulation of financial services that produced much of teh 2008 finiancial crisis. The fantasy that it was spending by teh left is a travesty, as is the fact that the poor is paying for bankers' bonusses by loosing health services, disability benefits, housing etc.
However, one shouldnt be too negative, i came accross this
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/1607435/brexit-bust-ups-sees-eu-referendum-branded-a-marriage-wrecker-and-blamed-for-family-feuds/
and it occurred to me that one should try to look on the bright side and not let financial doom stop one from enjoying things. or at least one shoudlnt hahve a divorce or make all kinds of sinister statements liek dear flud. I recomend sailing. get a cheap boat. i spent some of the weekend on a Sailfish 25. One can pick one up for under 10k euro. And its enormous fun.

Reactions: robdon

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I shudder at the idea that the future of the UK economy is now in the hands of the three brexiters. None of them has demonstrated the slightest understanding of macro-economics.

Last edited:

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I am not surprised. Before the vote, it was easy to sell may brexit myths like brexit will deliver 'flexibility and speed to decisions'. Now even brexiters don't know what they want for the economy leave alone how to get there. One thing becomes clearer: brexit is about anti-immigration and anti-Europe, nothing else.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I am not surprised. Before the vote, it was easy to sell may brexit myths like brexit will deliver 'flexibility and speed to decisions'. Now even brexiters don't know what they want for the economy leave alone how to get there. One thing becomes clearer: brexit is about anti-immigration and anti-Europe, nothing else.
More patronising from remainers.

Only an idiot would think voting leave would do a lot, or even very much, to reduce immigration.

Easy to say the millions who voted leave are all idiotic racists, but that is not the case.

In a sample that enormous, there's bound to be many ordinary, decent people who formed their view for a wide variety of reasons.

If it was only knuckle-dragging racists who voted leave, remain would have won by a huge margin.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
If it was only knuckle-dragging racists who voted leave, remain would have won by a huge margin.
I agree. But why did so many people vote to leave the EU? would you care to explain?

Rob, you are of course correct, not all vote leave supporters can be put into any one category, just as you can't with the remain side.

However when I read comments like this on public forums from people who clearly voted leave, you have to admit, not everyone who voted leave had positive reasons, or were decent ordinary people.

"We need to get out of the EU quickly the sooner the better and send all these immigrants back where they came from close our borders now before the NHS actually goes bankrupt schools and infrastructure are also under pressure there are still thousands in that camp in Calaise and thousands still pouring into Italy most of whom want to come here we are sending out all the wrong signals the longer we stay in this disfunctional club"

Its just terrifying that people with an opinion like this now feel their justified with their fear and hate, that is in now way based on what the facts and figures actually show.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I agree. But why did so many people vote to leave the EU? would you care to explain?
To adequately do that, I would have to undertake the impossible task of interviewing a large sample of leave voters.

For what it's worth, my gut feeling is leave voters in general had had enough of EU meddling - an impression many will have formed over many years.

I believe the British generally favour small government, we already have elected local councils and a national parliament.

We are also not short of various local and national bodies and government departments and agencies to take care of administration and regulation.

The EU parliament/bureaucracy is seen as surplus to requirements.

The patronising tone of the remain campaign cannot have helped.

One of the things the British don't like is to be patted on the head and told: "We know best, you just don't understand."

Add that little lot together and you have what we got - a majority in favour of kicking the EU into the long grass.

Advertisers