A question on torque

McCol

Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2016
Devon
I'm about to buy a bike with the Shimano Steps system, which from what I've read has a torque rating of 50. The other bike I was looking at but have since ruled out has a bosch motor with 70 torque.
Not knowing the finer details of these ratings will there be a massive difference in assitance between the bikes?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
you need to be aware that the publicity generally does not specify how the published figure for torque is measured across different brands, you can't assume x is better than y by z% by reading the ads, better try the bikes.

Last edited:

McCol

Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2016
Devon
Tried the Bosch one last week buts a non starter now. Going to try the Steps based one today hopefully.

D

Deleted member 4366

The only torque that matters is the torque that turns the back wheel. With any crank motor, that depends on your gearing, so it's diffent in every gear. With a Bosch or Steps, you can have 100Nm if you want.

As a specification characteristic, it's absolutely meaningless. I can make you a bike with 200Nm of torque powered by a 3v toy car motor with AA cells, but it's no fun having that torque at a speed so slow that you can't balance the bike.

Power would be a meaningful characteristic, but they won't tell you what it is, because it will be substantially above 250w. You can imagine the flak that would start flying if Bosch said that their 250w motor was more powerful than STEPs, being 600w rather than the STEPs 450w, and then Yamaha coming along and saying that their 250w motor trumps Bosch because it outputs 650w, and then Brose claims their 250w one makes 700w.

nemesis

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 14, 2011
Tried the Bosch one last week buts a non starter now. Going to try the Steps based one today hopefully.
Have you tried the Bosch CX motor,it has a lot of power that builds the faster you go.There is a new Shimano motor out for 2017 that is more advanced from previous types that looks good.It will be in the dealers october this year.

Reactions: McCol

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Good luck with that, but don't expect the Steps motor to be very much different to the Bosch.

• Useful

McCol

Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2016
Devon
Good luck with that, but don't expect the Steps motor to be very much different to the Bosch.
Thats what I hoping to hear, was impressed with the CX Bosch motor and although I know there will be a difference I'm hoping it won't be too big a difference.

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
If you want to try out some different bikes and motors and are in north Devon then give me a call. I've got an assortment of bikes you could try and offer impartial advice. You can find my details on www.bikehigher.co.uk

Reactions: IR772

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Thats what I hoping to hear, was impressed with the CX Bosch motor and although I know there will be a difference I'm hoping it won't be too big a difference.
Silly question, if you were impressed with the Bosch CX, why did you describe it as a 'non-starter'?

McCol

Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2016
Devon
Silly question, if you were impressed with the Bosch CX, why did you describe it as a 'non-starter'?
Issue with the local cyclescheme retailer, its in my thread elsewhere. Want to buy locally as oppose to online. 2 other retailers bit their stock comprises of shimano motored bikes.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Issue with the local cyclescheme retailer, its in my thread elsewhere. Want to buy locally as oppose to online. 2 other retailers bit their stock comprises of shimano motored bikes.
I've done thousands of miles on my Bosch bikes, and had a few short goes on Steps and Yamaha ones.

To me, there isn't much in it, I would be content to own any of them.

Steps has a service advantage being a Shimano product.

Madison - the Shimano importer - already has a well-set up service/warranty procedure which most local bike shops can access.

My Bosch bikes have been reliable, but I'm still not entirely sure where I would go if one did conk out.

• Useful
Reactions: IR772 and McCol

McCol

Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2016
Devon
Took out the bike with the Shimano Steps system(Saracen Juiced) and was really pleased with it, preferred it to the Bosch based bike I tried a few days ago although that is more to do with the overall bike.
Found that although the Shimano might not give as much pull(can't think of any to describe it!) it was more than suffice to cycle up a steep hill and actually still required me to put a bit of effort in to get up the hill but not too much to make it off-putting.

Reactions: IR772 and nemesis

nemesis

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 14, 2011
Took out the bike with the Shimano Steps system(Saracen Juiced) and was really pleased with it, preferred it to the Bosch based bike I tried a few days ago although that is more to do with the overall bike.
Found that although the Shimano might not give as much pull(can't think of any to describe it!) it was more than suffice to cycle up a steep hill and actually still required me to put a bit of effort in to get up the hill but not too much to make it off-putting.
Always best to test ride because what suits someone won`t always suit everyone,sounds like you have found the one for you.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
A bit of everything really. Fitness and 11 mile commute to work which is around 9 miles on cycle/walking trail and 2 miles on the road. Reasonably steep hill at end of journey.
As I mentioned in your other thread, the Whyte/Step bikes you are considering has narrower tyres and a rigid fork.

It would provide a lot perkier ride than the Saracen.

However, what trumps all of that is which bike you like best.

McCol

Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2016
Devon
As I mentioned in your other thread, the Whyte/Step bikes you are considering has narrower tyres and a rigid fork.

It would provide a lot perkier ride than the Saracen.

However, what trumps all of that is which bike you like best.
I tried the Trek and 2 Cubes and looked at the Whyte.

One of the Cube's had rigid forks and thinner tyres. When I took it on the local trail I found it a bit bumpy for my liking so didn't bother trying the Whyte. The Trek I just didn't click with for some reason, I'm a big built(fat) chap and felt I dwarfed the bike if that makes sense.
The Cube Hybrid 400 and the Saracen were my choices and the Saracen for me was just a joy to ride, chunky but not overly so and comfy when riding. Felt like it was a better build quality than the others, thars not to say the others were bad though far from it.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I tried the Trek and 2 Cubes and looked at the Whyte.

One of the Cube's had rigid forks and thinner tyres. When I took it on the local trail I found it a bit bumpy for my liking so didn't bother trying the Whyte. The Trek I just didn't click with for some reason, I'm a big built(fat) chap and felt I dwarfed the bike if that makes sense.
The Cube Hybrid 400 and the Saracen were my choices and the Saracen for me was just a joy to ride, chunky but not overly so and comfy when riding. Felt like it was a better build quality than the others, thars not to say the others were bad though far from it.
Can't say fairer than that.

Not that I wish to go on about forks, but the comfier ride on the Saracen will be mostly down to the podgy mountain bike tyres.

So the bike which needs a sus fork the least is the one that has one, which illustrates the contrary nature of the bike market and the demands of customers.

The main thing is you grasp the Saracen is not what keen MTBers would call a proper mountain bike.

In other words, it won't be up to hammering over stumps and rocks and jumping off ledges.

Reactions: IR772 and McCol

McCol

Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2016
Devon
Can't say fairer than that.

Not that I wish to go on about forks, but the comfier ride on the Saracen will be mostly down to the podgy mountain bike tyres.

So the bike which needs a sus fork the least is the one that has one, which illustrates the contrary nature of the bike market and the demands of customers.

The main thing is you grasp the Saracen is not what keen MTBers would call a proper mountain bike.

In other words, it won't be up to hammering over stumps and rocks and jumping off ledges.
Thats the thing I like about it. The MTB look but minus the knobbly tyres. The ride was smoother with the Saracen tyres than the knobbly offerings on the Cube I tried.
Stumps, rocks etc wont be happening...no worries there, apart from some of the big holes in the tarka trail and on North Devon roads that is.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Thats the thing I like about it. The MTB look but minus the knobbly tyres. The ride was smoother with the Saracen tyres than the knobbly offerings on the Cube I tried.
Stumps, rocks etc wont be happening...no worries there, apart from some of the big holes in the tarka trail and on North Devon roads that is.
It will be more than up to the Tarka Trail and ropey Devon lanes, and even light off roading if you happen to come across a likely looking bridleway.

I know a few push bikers who commute on slick tyred MTBs because they offer comfort and can handle potholes and kerbs.

Such a bike can be harder to pedal, but that's no so important on an ebike.

The extra resistance will curb your battery range by a few miles, but I doubt you will be up against that, at least for the first few months.

If you really get on well with the Saracen, you might be surprised how your desire for distance develops.