Conversion for daily 20 mile commute

jake369

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 6, 2017
Sussex
That's what I was trying to acheive d8veh - but width of the bar is way too wide for that :( Infact, the fittings on the control seem pretty small even compared to your picture, do they come in different sizes I wonder? It only just fits where I have currently put it

D

Deleted member 4366

There's only one size, which is designed to fit all standard bars, which are 31.8 mm or 25mm in the middle. Aren't there removable inserts in the clamps?

jake369

Jan 6, 2017
Sussex
I had a quick look and it certainly won't fit the middle, which is a bit strange. Something for me to look a bit closer at.

In the meantime, I got the cassette and rear wheel in this evening and ready to give it a test ride. Suddenly it came to me that I do need to fit the PAS sensor as the throttle is only for assisting while pushing the bike? Please tell me it is the case as speed was only around 5mph with the throttle!

So I need to get a longer axle in my bottom bracket, which is a bit beyond my limited skills. Off to the local bike shop tomorrow for them to take a look.

D

Deleted member 4366

You can set the throttle to full range in the advanced settings, where you set the speed limit. the two options are 6 and 0, where 6 is 6km/h and 0 is full-range.

jake369

Jan 6, 2017
Sussex
Found it :) That's got it up to 8mph. I biked over to the local bike shop (and was pleased that with no PAS I didn't notice the extra weight) and they are fitting a new bottom bracket for me so I have room for the sensor wheel to fit.

I am thinking, once I have PAS setup, I can take off the throttle?

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Keep both, pas just works. And throttle for when you don't work.

Bolt

Jan 15, 2017
Norfolk
Hi Jake
I recently fitted the same kit to my Cannondale Quick.
I had the same problem fitting the LCD on fat bar centres and made
a bracket out of a reflector holder, seems to do the job.
The unrestricted throttle speed seems to be directly linked to
the Pas setting, see the following.

1 8mph
2 10mph
3 12mph
4 14mph
5 18mph
6 20mph
This is just based on raising the rear wheel.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

jake369

Jan 6, 2017
Sussex
Thanks Bolt for the tip on the oversized handle bar - I shall take a closer look as I have loads of reflector holders in the shed.

I kick myself for not changing the PAS setting to get something more than 8mph! I thought it would only control the speed for PAS and not the throttle too. Thanks everyone for PMing me further settings/combinations on the controller to get the speed.

The bike is at the shop for the week to have it's bottom bracket replaced so I can get the PAS stuff on - that's next weekend planned out.

Bolt

Jan 15, 2017
Norfolk
Hi Neil
Yes at £800 it's expensive for a rear hub but at £525 plus
£15 shipping as it's on offer at the moment it's good value
and easy to fit.
That said I have only had he kit for two weeks but so far I
am very happy with it.
I should also say that it's my first foray into ebikes so I have
nothing to compare it with but I don't want to be without it
already

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing
D

Deleted member 4366

£400 for a nice new bike (buy on a bank holiday and get 10% discount from Halfords plus 5% from Quidco plus 5% from Cycle Club) and £550 for an Oxydrive kit makes an Ebike better than you can buy in the shops:

Bolt

Jan 15, 2017
Norfolk
Hi d8veh
I'm a lofty bloke at 6ft 4 and the Cannondale is a jumbo frame
and just feels right plus I read on here that the Oxydrive kit is
the same as on the Oxygen ebikes so it was a done deal.
IMG_0638.JPG

jake369

Jan 6, 2017
Sussex
Love the pictures of projects! I spent a bit of time looking at all the different kits etc.. and thought this setup was good value for money (at the reduced price). Fitting to a decent (already existing) bike that has quality components makes it all within my price range.

I wasn't expecting some of the hassles I'm having to make things fit, but it's been the same with everything on this frame, for example mudguards took a bit to make fit!

D

Deleted member 4366

Love the pictures of projects! I spent a bit of time looking at all the different kits etc.. and thought this setup was good value for money (at the reduced price). Fitting to a decent (already existing) bike that has quality components makes it all within my price range.

I wasn't expecting some of the hassles I'm having to make things fit, but it's been the same with everything on this frame, for example mudguards took a bit to make fit!
Fitting a kit is never straight forward until you've done a few. Some bikes are easier than others; however, just about everything can be changed except the frame, so I always start with a bike that has a suitable frame and disc brake mounts.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Then again the cyclomatic is even cheaper, and complete.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Normally, the LCD should fit either side of the stem:
Have you seen the lovely new LCD-6 from BMSbattery? Vertical screen and with cadence meter (at last!).

Neil5403

Pedelecer
Feb 5, 2017
Staffs, England ST15
£400 for a nice new bike (buy on a bank holiday and get 10% discount from Halfords plus 5% from Quidco plus 5% from Cycle Club) and £550 for an Oxydrive kit makes an Ebike better than you can buy in the shops:

I must be looking in the wrong place then as I can't find the oxydrive kit at that price. Any pointers?.

Chrisk

Jan 12, 2017
Kent
Hi d8veh
I'm a lofty bloke at 6ft 4 and the Cannondale is a jumbo frame
and just feels right plus I read on here that the Oxydrive kit is
the same as on the Oxygen ebikes so it was a done deal.
View attachment 17639
Looks great Bolt,

Have you got a torque arm on the bike?

I was unsure whether to get one but have decided to add one to my build for that peace of mind