Which e-bike that accelerates fast

minime

Pedelecer
Feb 19, 2017
Hull
Hello

I have a Cyclamatic C1 with a 250w motor and a 36v, 8.8a battery.

Which is preferable to get a bike that accelerates to the legal speed limit faster:

a) a better battery for the Cyclamatic
b) a new bike with a more powerful motor and a higher voltage battery?

Thanks

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
1) A bike with a BPM, CST or Ezee powerful hub motor, or a kit using one of those three motors. This is a legal solution.

2) A Bafang BBS 500 or 750 watt kit motor, but these are not legal.

Higher voltage batteries are more useful in gaining higher speeds than low speed acceleration, though they can help.

D

Deleted member 4366

If you're happy with the bike, add a front motor kit with a rack battery. That will give you approximately ...errrr..... double the power.

D

Deleted member 4366

So, all things considered equal, a higher wattage motor accelerates faster?
No. It's the controller that decides how much power you get, and you need a battery that can give the power that the controller has decided.

• Agree
Reactions: mountainsport

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
So, all things considered equal, a higher wattage motor accelerates faster?
There's lots of factors for faster acceleration, higher current capability, the motor's internal gearing, the wheel size etc.

The second motor suggestion from d8veh above will give excellent acceleration, and at low cost.

• Agree
Reactions: mountainsport

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
which bike that accelerates fast?

1) bikes with big geared hub motor and a square wave controller like the Big Bear
2) bikes with big geared hub motor and a sine wave controller
3) crank driven bikes when in the right gear.

Selecting the right gear is important for crank driven bikes. If your terrain requires frequent gear change, then you would definitely be better off with a geared hub motor because the motor needs to be powered down at each gear change, losing you acceleration.

Last edited:

minime

Pedelecer
Feb 19, 2017
Hull
I don't have a clue about tweaking my bike so I'd rather not messy with conversion kits and the like.

My options are:
a) find someone able (bike shop?) to perform specific conversions/replacements, like installing a new controller, providing a new battery or whatever but I must be specific. Do you know of a bike shop in the UK where I can send them the bike and they tweak it?
b) get a new bike (possibly higher than legal wattage)

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
which bike that accelerates fast?

1) bikes with big geared hub motor and a square wave controller like the Big Bear
2) bikes with big geared hub motor and a sine wave controller
3) crank driven bikes when in the right gear.

Selecting the right gear is important for crank driven bikes. If your terrain requires frequent gear change, then you would definitely be better off with a geared hub motor because the motor needs to be powered down at each gear change, losing you acceleration.
There is a fourth option that almost always gets overlooked on this forum, as if it never existed:

4: A big direct drive motor fed with oodles of power. This will out accelerate all of the above and is what the hot-rodders normally chose for on-road high performance.

EDIT: This suggestion is probably not suitable for a legal 15mph build, although who really wants legal.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
I'm curious as to why you want such fast acceleration? and why it is so important?

minime

Pedelecer
Feb 19, 2017
Hull
I just want something better than my current e-bike (Cyclamatic C1). Faster acceleration and the ability derestrict the motor at will (for when cycling off-road ;-)

• :D
Reactions: Artstu

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
My bike accelerates so well in assistance level 5 that sometimes I have to brake to prevent tail ending the car in front of me when the light goes green. :eek: That is up to about 20 km/h at which point the car moves out of the danger zone... :D

Reactions: Sarabee

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
I don't think you'll ever get the Cyclamatic to the performance you sound like you're looking for. Even when I beastified my mk1 Cyclamatic, it wasn't particularly quick. That was with an upgraded controller and 24v-36v conversion.

If you want awesome acceleration and high top speed, then BBS02 or BBSHD on 48 volts and tweaked programming is the way to go. Decent spec batteries are a must also. Be warned, not for the faint hearted.

• Agree
Reactions: Steve UKLSRA

2Lazy

Pedelecer
Jul 17, 2013
Milton Keynes
I just want something better than my current e-bike (Cyclamatic C1). Faster acceleration and the ability derestrict the motor at will (for when cycling off-road ;-)
I think you might be suprised at the power of some of the bikes with more powerful (bit still legal) motors. I have an Ezee Forza and it gets up to speed very quicky and motors even my quite hefty frame up hills with ease. The easiest option is a new bike in which case just go and test ride a few and find one that you're happy with. There are plenty of options but I'd start by looking at the powerful hub motor bikes from Ezee, Woosh, Oxygen and Volt. Alternatively a conversation kit would do the job, and I'd start by looking at kits from Ezee and Oxygen.

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing and flecc

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Most bikes will accelerate quickly if set to do so. The problem is that this can cause wheel spin in the wet or on gravel. Most businesses will program their motors to "soft start" for this reason. If you need a bike without soft start, don't go for the more sophisticated products, if you do, ask for them to to be reprogrammed.

All the best, David

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Care must be taken when you start on throttle and the road is wet.
on pedal assist, your wheels won't slip.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Of course strictly speaking the throttle should not be used, when a rider is sitting on the bike. Legally it is simply a walk along mode.

It very much depends on the torque a motor produces. We have had to program in a soft start, due to the power spinning wheels when the power kicks in. This is also the reason we have stopped producing front wheel drive bikes.

All the best, David

IR772

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2016
Leominster
Hello

I have a Cyclamatic C1 with a 250w motor and a 36v, 8.8a battery.

Which is preferable to get a bike that accelerates to the legal speed limit faster:

a) a better battery for the Cyclamatic
b) a new bike with a more powerful motor and a higher voltage battery?

Thanks
Anything that says YAMAHA on the engine

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing