Oxygen S-Cross MTB

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Well, after what seems like months of deliberation, I have decided to go for the Oxygen over the Woosh Rio.

I want to publicly thank Woosh for the offer that I was given of a 6 month sale or return on the Rio MTB, was pretty much too good to turn down. I dont think many would make an offer like that unless they have complete confidence in their product. Im sure the Rio will do very well for them, and deservedly so.

So, why didn't I go for the Rio?
After answering tonnes of questions, the bikes are very, very similar. I could have saved around 400 quid I guess with the Rio. But the main thing that swung it for me was the fact that I can get the Oxygen on C2W, so only have to find £500 instead of £1100 for the Rio.
When you add the savings using C2W, there wont be much overall difference in costs after the year. WIth house move costs, it made it an easier decision too.

Also, I managed to get a test ride on the Oxygen, and as its already been out a while, there are plenty of good reviews to base a decision on.

Im just waiting for my C2W voucher now, so hopefully get the new bike before my house move, which has finally come about for about a weeks time.

The cyclotricity has now gone, sold at a major loss after about 9 months of ownership, and about 2700 miles.
For all the bad things I had to say about it, when it was working, it was a great way to commute. I guess a lot of the problems I had were either down to bad luck - rubbish local bike shop repairs etc, or the fact that it wasnt really up to doing the job I was asking of it, or a combination of both.

Its gone to a buyer who will be doing a lot less miles than I was, and I am sure it will be more suited to what he will be using it for.

Looking forward to reporting back at some point with hopefully some really positive reviews on the Oxygen :)

Reactions: Woosh

footpump

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2014
if you can get the oxygen on c2w it makes sense you have already tried it
all you need is rack/lights and mudguards.
no doubt you will enter the secret code into the lcd, and fly past others at 20+
look forward to review after having spent sometime with oxygen.

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
no doubt you will enter the secret code into the lcd, and fly past others at 20+
Yes... waiting impatiently for my voucher so I can get it ordered.
Already got the mudguards, hoping the shop will help out with the rack.
Does it come with throttle as standard?

Sent from my BUSH SPIRA D3 5 using Tapatalk

footpump

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2014
just looked on oxgen website and manual for mtb no mention of throttle ,perhaps have a word with the shop prior to purchase

Reactions: Andy Bluenoes
D

Deleted member 4366

They come from Oxygen with the throttle in the box with the charger. You have to fit it yourself. You have to push it all the way to the bend in the bars and then don't do up the screw too tight because it interferes with its smooth operation. The connector hangs loose near the LCD. It has a cap on it that you have to remove.

• Informative

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
They come from Oxygen with the throttle in the box with the charger. You have to fit it yourself. You have to push it all the way to the bend in the bars and then don't do up the screw too tight because it interferes with its smooth operation. The connector hangs loose near the LCD. It has a cap on it that you have to remove.
Thanks D8veh...I think you possibly mentioned that now when I saw the bike, I must have forgotten

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Do you have a rack on yours?
Im looking to get one that allows the bags to sit quite far back so you dont kick holes in them when pedalling, but a lot of them look like they will sit too far forward on the bike

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
I think you missed a trick here, you could of got the crossfire-e for about £680 on the C2W scheme (after benefit), I can't see the Oxygen being £400 quid better. Halfords are doing the crossfire-e for £999 on a C2W special ( see scrolling image on the front page https://www.cycle2work.info/ )

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
I think you missed a trick here, you could of got the crossfire-e for about £680 on the C2W scheme (after benefit), I can't see the Oxygen being £400 quid better. Halfords are doing the crossfire-e for £999 on a C2W special ( see scrolling image on the front page https://www.cycle2work.info/ )
Thanks for the heads up :)

Thing is over the last year, I have wasted so much money on "cheaper" bikes, I had to be confident that the next one I am getting is capable of doing what I want it to do.

I will do probably 4000 miles a year on the bike, in all weathers, and the bikes I have had have all had problems. Im sure they all would have been suitable for less than what I needed, so I had to question if I needed to spend a bit more this time round.

I asked loads of questions on here, searched the web for reviews, watched video reviews, and finally decided that the Oxygen is the best bet, and hopefully be worth the extra money.
The Woosh Rio was a close call being a fair bit cheaper than the oxygen and was a big temptation. If it had been out longer and had more reviews available, and was available on C2W, then that may have been the one I would have gone for.

The crossfire seems to have mixed reviews, and it never got shouted out as a high mileage option.

Time will tell I guess if I have made the right decision :)

D

Deleted member 4366

Plus, the Halfords bike is limited to 15 mph and has no throttle. That makes it worth £400 ess for some people.

• Agree

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
All the indications are the Oxygen will be more reliable than the Crossfire.

What is even more certain is that should there be a problem, Oxygen will make a better fist of sorting it than Halfords.

• Agree

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
Yep, I hear you Andy, some of the reports are cut outs and spokes breaking (I have had 3 go, easy to swap though) are off putting, granted. For the record, I commute EVERY day since last Sept, in all weathers, no problems, just clocked over 2500 miles in 9 months.
Not being able to derestrict above 15mph is a pain, if thats important to you then the crossfire-e is a non starter. Still hopeful someone finds a way around this, as the 500watt version of the Suntour HESC can do 28mph and it looks like the display is the same but different controller
Good luck with the oxygen, looking forward to a review :)

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Yep, I hear you Andy, some of the reports are cut outs and spokes breaking (I have had 3 go, easy to swap though) are off putting, granted. For the record, I commute EVERY day since last Sept, in all weathers, no problems, just clocked over 2500 miles in 9 months.
Not being able to derestrict above 15mph is a pain, if thats important to you then the crossfire-e is a non starter. Still hopeful someone finds a way around this, as the 500watt version of the Suntour HESC can do 28mph and it looks like the display is the same but different controller
Good luck with the oxygen, looking forward to a review :)
Sounds like youve done similar miles to me in those 9 months, and youve probably had less problems with it than I had with my stealth...not a bad advert for the carrera :)

Yes, hopefully Ive got it right this time!

Reactions: egroover

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Sounds like youve done similar miles to me in those 9 months, and youve probably had less problems with it than I had with my stealth...not a bad advert for the carrera
Your Stealth is derestricted, you put the Stealth through a lot more stress and strain.

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Your Stealth is derestricted, you put the Stealth through a lot more stress and strain.
I did when I first had it....after the first few hundred miles, i set it back to standard "250 watt" mode...although it did admittedly cut out a lot higher than 15.5 even on that setting

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk