First ever ebike impression

topographer

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2017
Mid Yorkshire
This is about ebikes generally, not a particular one (given that I've just got my first one and without trying any first). So it was all beyond my ken apart from theories I acquired from reading here.

Bloody hell! I'd heard about the weight but when you actually manhandle one first time it still comes as a shock. And all the weight was concentrated at the back which probably makes it seem a little worse. I even found myself wondering if it would be bad for the saddle/post if I lifted it the normal way so I tried lifting the back from a rear frame point...but there wasn't any need for that...the saddle and post are OK. And this one's not that heavy at 21kg. I find the bike hard to handle in small movements like when you want to make a small turning circle at slow speed. The weight seems to make this more awkward.

The first time you use it you think the oomph is fab and you think the pedalling is so easy. And you think 'blimey, if this is how the pedelec system works the throttle may be unnecessary.' I was so impressed by the easiness of the pedalling that I decided to try a hill that I'd been intending to leave until later once I'd practised on some normal ones. It wasn't much of a problem really. So that left me optimistic that I could do most of the essential hills and some of the elective ones.

I always try to get from A to B via the most quiet, easy and peaceful route possible which basically means avoiding traffic unless unavoidable. And yet, I now find when I do need to be on a road with cars I'm a fair bit more relaxed about it. Although my top speed is still not very high, my average speed is much higher than it was with a normal bike making me feel more comfortable on the road and less of a nuisance to cars. On the old bike, even when doing decent speed I'd be thinking 'God, I hope this road doesn't start rising up and my legs go weak and cause me to ride in a wobbly fashion at 3mph in this traffic.' That's not a worry now because I have my poor man's motorbike. I reckon the comfort in traffic will increase even more when I get a rear view mirror because I'm still glancing over a lot. Though I sometimes use a glance over the shoulder as a way of letting a driver know that I know he or she is there.

It goes down hills like an elephant on roller skates. Descending involves tons of braking; it gets pretty tiresome and I find myself craving some sort of engine braking like on a car.

I can confirm that the fantasies people have about ebikes liberating their lives are true. It's not just an idle dream. You'll go out more; you'll feel more autonomous; you'll fee more integrated and related to your locality and community; you'll feel more competent. I once read an article by two psychologists who said that the three core pillars of human happiness—there are other littler ones but three main ones—were autonomy, competency (feeling that you're good at things) and relatedness (feeling connected to others). I think ebikes help with some of life's essential requirements.

I'll post about my specific bike later I suppose.

Cliff-C

Pedelecer
Jul 17, 2016
UK
Good post. Completely agree - can be the difference between really enjoying cycling and giving up.

Sent from my Paris using Tapatalk

Reactions: Sarabee

topographer

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2017
Mid Yorkshire
It doesn't feel like a novelty either. I imagine some of the excitement will wear off, but it can do so much for you that I think you'll always love it. I hope so anyway.

philliptjohnson

Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2017
Washington
I'm really enjoying it (130 miles in so still a newbie). I've also found small maneuvering turns one of the most difficult things but for the reason that I'm going really slow having braked, turn the front wheel quite a lot then gently pedal into the tight turn and as soon as the pedals turn the assist kicks in and tries to accelerate to 15 mph in the tight turn. If I remember I turn assist off while maneuvering.

I've become a lot more comfortable in traffic and now actually prefer cycling on roads to bridal paths... I find it easier to ride with cars on the ebike and find the bridal paths a bit too bumpy at the faster speeds I go on the ebike.

Tugwell Gibson

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2016
London
I got one in January . I'm no cyclist, but I've ridden it every day. Sometimes I just go out for half an hour in the evening if I've had a busy day. Novelty still not worn off for me.

rich_r

Pedelecer
Jun 23, 2017
North Yorkshire
I went out for my first 'long' ride yesterday since fitting a kit. A route I used to do 20 years ago (when I was fit) from Selby to York and back. With the assistance set on level 2 (~80W max), I did the 35 miles as easily as I used to back then. Without the motor, I'd probably only manage half the distance.

My favourite thing is how quickly you can accelerate from a standstill. Makes pulling out of junctions way safer. That and the way hills and headwinds just aren't a big deal.

Sarabee

Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2017
Lincolnshire
I've had mine 6 months and I still love it. Whatever is going on, an hour on my bike puts a big smile on my face. It's a bit of a girlie type eye catcher and I seem to have become quite well known locally. I spend most of the ride answering cheery greetings, quite nice really.

Reactions: JimRides

topographer

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2017
Mid Yorkshire
My favourite thing is how quickly you can accelerate from a standstill. Makes pulling out of junctions way safer.
I'm still practising the best way to pull away from dead. I can switch down to a low gear before stopping (but I always forget) or I can use the walk assist to get moving, rotate the crank a turn or two then twist the throttle. (Throttle doesn't work from dead). If I wasn't still getting slight tendon soreness from an old injury I'd just use brute force to get moving and let the PAS kick in.

rich_r

Pedelecer
Jun 23, 2017
North Yorkshire
I'm still practising the best way to pull away from dead. I can switch down to a low gear before stopping (but I always forget) or I can use the walk assist to get moving, rotate the crank a turn or two then twist the throttle. (Throttle doesn't work from dead). If I wasn't still getting slight tendon soreness from an old injury I'd just use brute force to get moving and let the PAS kick in.
Mine's front hub motor so the gears don't matter - just press the up button to select assist level 5, then push off so the pedals start to turn. Once it's done about a quarter of a turn the motor will kick in and it's away. Then once I'm pedaling I tend to drop the assist to 2 or 1 and plod along at 23kmh or so in a fairly high gear.