Thoughts on Carrera Crossfire-E

Rolling Sly Stone

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 30, 2017
Hertfordshire
Hello Crossfire-E owners! I'm about to invest in my first e-bike and the Crossfire-E is the first and only one I've tested. Absolutely loved it! The only thing holding me back at the moment is the lack of ability to squeeze a few extra mph above the 15.5 out of it, whether by derestriction or other settings adjustment (for example changing wheel size in settings). I've searched tirelessly and it doesn't appear to be possible unless anyone can shed and light on the subject?

jonjoe

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2017
England
I just use the gears more when I get over 16mph, you can get a real sprint out of it. Imo, nothing compares to it in the price range, the 700c wheels are great and the battery performance is epic.

Rolling Sly Stone

May 30, 2017
Hertfordshire
I just use the gears more when I get over 16mph, you can get a real sprint out of it. Imo, nothing compares to it in the price range, the 700c wheels are great and the battery performance is epic.
Price is certainly very attractive! My local Halfords have agreed to do it for £990! Another thing I am struggling to find a definitive answer for is whether it has hydraulic brake cut off/cut out? Surely this is a must for safety reasons?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I am struggling to find a definitive answer for is whether it has hydraulic brake cut off/cut out? Surely this is a must for safety reasons?
Torque sensored bikes generally don't have brake sensors.
the Carrera Crossfire has a torque sensor, your survival instinct will probably tell your legs to stop pushing when you brake!

Rolling Sly Stone

May 30, 2017
Hertfordshire
Torque sensored bikes generally don't have brake sensors.
the Carrera Crossfire has a torque sensor, your survival instinct will probably tell your legs to stop pushing when you brake!
Thanks for the info, Woosh.

I didn't think it did as I remember from my test ride, when I was stopping for lights and trying to shift down gears as I slowed, I was fighting against the motor!

David Grant

Pedelecer
Oct 16, 2016
morayshire
Hello Crossfire-E owners! I'm about to invest in my first e-bike and the Crossfire-E is the first and only one I've tested. Absolutely loved it! The only thing holding me back at the moment is the lack of ability to squeeze a few extra mph above the 15.5 out of it, whether by derestriction or other settings adjustment (for example changing wheel size in settings). I've searched tirelessly and it doesn't appear to be possible unless anyone can shed and light on the subject?

lol i reckon all crossfire owners are eagerly awaiting some bright spark to figure out how to derestrict their bike lol me being one of them!!

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
They are all waiting for someone who doesn't have one to tell them how to do it or are waiting for each other to spill the beans but know one with one has the balls to delve deeper.
The way this thread is going it will be another year before they get the spanners out.

• Informative

Martin Jones

Just Joined
Jun 12, 2017
Staffordshire
I find that when going downhill at speed 30mph + If I attempt to pedal the speed will really drop as if the motor is braking the bike. I have to just freewheel.

John Holiday

Just Joined
Jun 25, 2017
CH76TE
Interesting comments. I looked at a number of bikes and settled for an Emu. This had no front suspension (extra weight ),hub gears (less vulnerable to damage/maintenance ),lighting, rack,chain guard etc.& all for £1000.
Have now had it nearly two years & still very pleased with it.
There are more sophisticated bikes available with Bosch crank drive etc.,
but happy with my choice.

cusdae

Jul 7, 2017
nottingham
Price is certainly very attractive! My local Halfords have agreed to do it for £990! Another thing I am struggling to find a definitive answer for is whether it has hydraulic brake cut off/cut out? Surely this is a must for safety reasons?
What kind of tactics/charm get an offer of £990? My local Halfords won't budge from ticket price!

• Informative

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
What kind of tactics/charm get an offer of £990? My local Halfords won't budge from ticket price!
upload_2017-8-12_13-33-59.png
show them their own cycle to work website which shows the bike on offer
https://www.cycle2work.info/
If they can do it sub £1k for that why not anyone else ? Then pull out your British Cycling card for another 10% off discount ;-)

• Useful

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
This..

I think this is way out of line for halfords, they have had the problem for a good time now so they need to fix it, it's a 1k bike so it's not cheap and I just don't understand why some people just live with it, I bet all of us that go out and buy a new tv and it's got a fault on it will take it back for a new one or a refund not just live with it.
So people there are lots of other good bikes out there at this price so don't live with it just get your money back and buy from one of the good trade members on here.

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
Show me a similar spec bike (and I mean similar or better components, same or better battery capacity, drive system, power, hydraulic brakes etc, and that looks like a regular hybrid bike) to the crossfire-e for what I paid for it (last Aug £660 after discounts) with a 2yr warranty from a local dealer, and I'd take mine back and get that instead

From what I've seen, it's not out there. Yes, some nice bikes for £1100-1300 (Oxygen for example) but that's nearly double the money.
I'm happy to put up with the odd cutout about once a month, I don't see it's a big deal considering the cost of the bike.
OK, if I had paid list price of £1200 then it would be different granted, but who pays that? as it always comes on offer and with BC discounts, quidco, gift cards etc...that brings it down to about £760 when on offer

• Informative

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
Totally agree with egroover, had mine about a month and no problems yet and a free 2year warranty, what other dealer offers that that? plus Halfords are 1mile away so no problems taking it back. I would imagine the percentage of faulty bikes compared to the amount they have sold is quite small and probably on a par with other manufactures, ie Kalkhoff to name but one.

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
Are we not talking to a guy that is being asked to pay the full £1200 by an unwavering Halfrauds? He can do better than that from the support that I see being on hand here, from the traders that sell similarly priced good bikes.

@cusdae Has anyone from Halfrauds informed you of this problem of the motor indiscriminately 'cutting out'?

I couldn't show you a 'better bike' for that money. That's subjective. I'm sure that many here could show plenty of bikes, for similar money, that don't appear to cut out.

Totally agree with egroover, had mine about a month and no problems yet and a free 2year warranty, what other dealer offers that that? plus Halfords are 1mile away so no problems taking it back. I would imagine the percentage of faulty bikes compared to the amount they have sold is quite small and probably on a par with other manufactures, ie Kalkhoff to name but one.
Show me a similar spec bike (and I mean similar or better components, same or better battery capacity, drive system, power, hydraulic brakes etc, and that looks like a regular hybrid bike) to the crossfire-e for what I paid for it (last Aug £660 after discounts) with a 2yr warranty from a local dealer, and I'd take mine back and get that instead

From what I've seen, it's not out there. Yes, some nice bikes for £1100-1300 (Oxygen for example) but that's nearly double the money.
I'm happy to put up with the odd cutout about once a month, I don't see it's a big deal considering the cost of the bike.
OK, if I had paid list price of £1200 then it would be different granted, but who pays that? as it always comes on offer and with BC discounts, quidco, gift cards etc...that brings it down to about £760 when on offer
Again, it's subjective. But if you're happy with your bike, that's good enough. Especially as you've had a really good deal.

Last edited:
Reactions: egroover

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
I feel sorry for anyone who has paid 1200 quid and is getting cutout issues, if I'd paid that of course I would send it back and get something else. Likewise, if I couldn't get a deal on it, i.e sub 900 quid, I wouldn't buy it in the first place, with knowing the problems, I'd pay the extra and get something recommended on here. Research is key to choosing the right bike. Having said that, Halfords, Suntour really should get to the bottom of these issues, it's been going on too long, and it's a shame as it puts off a lot of potential customers for what is a great bike

D

Deleted member 4366

I would imagine the percentage of faulty bikes compared to the amount they have sold is quite small and probably on a par with other manufactures, ie Kalkhoff to name but one.
I don't believe that the percentage is small. I'm pretty sure that you're the only one that's come on here so far and said that you haven't had the problem, so that puts the percentage at somewhere between 90% and 95% who experienced the fault.

Saying that it's similar to a Kalkhoff, where more or less 100% fail in a catastrophic way, doesn't make it any better!

IMHO, it's not good enough. They shouldn't sell bikes with a systematic fault. I'm sure that they know by now what causes it, but they continue to sell the bikes and disappoint many customers. That's not right!