e-bikes now 12% of value of UK bike imports

D

Deleted member 4366

I don't understand whether there's some sort of bias there, but why do they talk about electric bikes separately? It's pretty obvious that non-electric bikes will go down if the electric ones go up. I thought the BA included responsibility for electric bikes now, so why do they talk about them as if they're something different. They should start with analysing the overall trends including electric bikes, then comment on which types of bikes have changed in proportion to previous years.

• Agree
Reactions: T42

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Cycling is falling dramatically overall though, the annual overall bike imports declining from 4 millions in 2010 to just 2.5millions recently, and still falling.

E-bikes are nowhere near that 1.5 millions a year difference, ranging in fact from 25,000 to perhaps near 50,000 per annum during that period.

So the 1.5 millions reduction in ordinary bike buying is close to the truth, and it doesn't surprise me.

I've raised before the long term ill effects of parents not allowing children to ride bikes, the obsessive protection of kids since around the late 1980s and fear of traffic responsible.

Those who have never learnt to ride a bike when young are rarely likely to try later, and they form a very high proportion of those up to 40 years old. They are happy driving their cars, in which they mostly regard cyclists as a nuisance, so are hardly inclined to join their ranks very often.

• Agree
Reactions: RobF

grldtnr

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
south east Essex
Cycling is falling dramatically overall though, the annual overall bike imports declining from 4 millions in 2010 to just 2.5millions recently, and still falling.

E-bikes are nowhere near that 1.5 millions a year difference, ranging in fact from 25,000 to perhaps near 50,000 per annum during that period.

So the 1.5 millions reduction in ordinary bike buying is close to the truth, and it doesn't surprise me.

I've raised before the long term ill effects of parents not allowing children to ride bikes, the obsessive protection of kids since around the late 1980s and fear of traffic responsible.

Those who have never learnt to ride a bike when young are rarely likely to try later, and they form a very high proportion of those up to 40 years old. They are happy driving their cars, in which they mostly regard cyclists as a nuisance, so are hardly inclined to join their ranks very often.
That is the truth of it Flecc, what is needed, and I have said it before in other posts, is a step change in attitudes to cycle use.
This can only come about from sociable society and political perseverence , we need a social goverment, we need Corbyn!

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
That is the truth of it Flecc, what is needed, and I have said it before in other posts, is a step change in attitudes to cycle use.
This can only come about from sociable society and political perseverence , we need a social goverment, we need Corbyn!
You were doing so well - until those last three words.

• :D
Reactions: flecc and chris_n