Update on N.I. e-bike regs.

D

Deleted member 4366

Could we all take our 1000w bikes to NI, get them registered there without having to meet all the construction and use regulations, then use them over here, insure them and use them? I guess many people would need L-plates too.

TedG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Lisburn Co Antrim Northern Ireland UK
Sad day. Just got the e-bikes out of the store room and into the attic.
Will they ever be down again?
That misguided clown has done more damage than she can imagine by registering her bike.
Her 15 minutes of fame could have far reaching implications for all of the UK, not just this small part, but there again politicians and governmental departments can be trusted......can't they?

• :D
Reactions: LeighPing

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Could we all take our 1000w bikes to NI, get them registered there without having to meet all the construction and use regulations, then use them over here, insure them and use them? I guess many people would need L-plates too.
For six months only. Since Northern Ireland has entirely devolved transport law they would be treated as vehicles visiting from another country. After six months they'd have to be registered here in the mainland UK under our rules.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
For six months only. Since Northern Ireland has entirely devolved transport law they would be treated as vehicles visiting from another country. After six months they'd have to be registered here in the mainland UK under our rules.
Sounds very Unighted your kingdom... A foreign country? WTF!

Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Sounds very Unighted your kingdom... A foreign country? WTF!
That's what devolution has done, Scotland with its own parliament, Ireland and Wales with their own governing assemblies. But of course this is an old tradition here, the Crown Dependencies long being self ruling. One, the Isle of Man has the longest sitting parliament in the world, The Tynwald there ruling continuously for over 1000 years.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
That's what devolution has done, Scotland with its own parliament, Ireland and Wales with their own governing assemblies. But of course this is an old tradition here, the Crown Dependencies long being self ruling. One, the Isle of Man has the longest sitting parliament in the world, The Tynwald there ruling continuously for over 1000 years.
And the Queen is the 'Lord of Man' there, not the Queen. Her portrait on their bank notes shows her not wearing a crown.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Damian.Doherty

Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2017
Derry, Ireland
Sad day. Just got the e-bikes out of the store room and into the attic.
Will they ever be down again?
That misguided clown has done more damage than she can imagine by registering her bike.
Her 15 minutes of fame could have far reaching implications for all of the UK, not just this small part, but there again politicians and governmental departments can be trusted......can't they?

Ted, I ride past a police station everyday on the way home from work...and I will continue to do so until someone stops me and asks for my bicycle licence! :)

TedG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Ted, I ride past a police station everyday on the way home from work...and I will continue to do so until someone stops me and asks for my bicycle licence! :)
I understand Damian and I wish you well. We however are pensioners only using e-bikes because of age and health issues preventing us from using conventional cycles. Although I have been on two wheels of various sorts (even 170 mph ones) for nearly 60 years we feel the repercussions of an incident involving perhaps a child even on a cycle path would leave us open to litigation which could destroy the remainder of our lives because we would have been using an illegal "vehicle" in public.
We would really like to take the risk that you have to take as a commuter but we are leisure only and are therefore reluctant.

Reactions: mike killay

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
And the Queen is the 'Lord of Man' there, not the Queen. Her portrait on their bank notes shows her not wearing a crown.
Indeed, since they are not part of the United Kingdom, though dependent on the Crown for support.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Indeed, since they are not part of the United Kingdom, though dependent on the Crown for support.
Mind you, in Lancashire they also do things differently, the proper response to a loyal toast,
'Ladies and gentlemen, The Queen.'
Response is
'The Duke of Lancaster.'

• Informative
Reactions: flecc and VictoryV

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
;)

TedG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Ok guys, with my latest need to answer the echoing "corridors of power" at Stormont could I ask a question to the e-bikes regulations experts out there?

Call me lazy if you must but I never had need to learn up on regulations for a battery assisted bicycle for use by a pensioner with health issues.

I need to know if there is any other European country, Spain, Italy, Holland, France etc which has the regulation that pedelecs are treated as mopeds?

That's it - I just don't need to come across as foolish because some dust ridden law is actually in existence and enforced in those countries.

Many thanks.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: TedG

the_killjoy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 26, 2008
They do seem a bit of a mishmash, did I miss the definition of a racing bike? They seem to be exempt from everything.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
They do seem a bit of a mishmash, did I miss the definition of a racing bike? They seem to be exempt from everything.
No pedal or spoke reflectors! As long as you belong to a club you can train on the open road without obligatory equipment... Most have stupid and illegal overpowered blinding blinky lights here at this season... :eek:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I need to know if there is any other European country, Spain, Italy, Holland, France etc which has the regulation that pedelecs are treated as mopeds?
Essentially no, the law in Malta is because they failed to comply with a mandatory EU order so it can be ignored for your purpose.

All other EU countries treat pedelecs as bicycles.

Reactions: TedG

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Careful flecc, we Irish are very jealous of our rights .. the one in Ireland to which you refer is the currently non existent one in the North of Ireland. Our southern Dail didn't devolve, it revolted.

TedG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Hi folks,
Just this day I was thinking about the forum and not wanting to believe that we are still grounded. I have had official letters from several high ranking MPs stating that they haven't forgotten about us. I have to believe them because unlike Damian we don't have the nerve to go out and flout what is still an active law. My pessimistic views haunt me into believing that an innocent bump into a wayward child on the towpath would ultimately lead to litigation which could bankrupt us.
That sounds a tad dramatic but it isn't impossible and considering that we have always been squeaky clean in our 65+ years it goes against the grain to simply take that chance.
I have also spent over four hours writing a highly detailed 3 page A4 letter to the secretary of state explaining the type of bicycles we have because I really don't think all that many folk in "power" actually know.
I shall wait on a reply but not holding my breath.
Anne was out today shopping and saw a lady on a Pedelec making her way happily into the local park and I would have loved to have been able to speak to her if only to hear her views on the implications of an incident.
Most of you guys including Damian will believe that we are both overreacting to this issue but with respect may I ask if all your cars are taxed and insured and legal to be on the public roads keeping you covered in the event of an accident?
We are 100% against the proposed registration process and all that it will entail as it will alienate us in this small part of the UK from those of you in the rest of the UK.
Sorry this was so long, thanks for reading.
Be safe Damian, take care mate.