Puncture proofing tyres

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
It might depend on whether you are using it for a tubeless or tubes and possibly the brand of gunk.
In my view some are a gimmick that just make a mess if they don't work and waste your money.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
I use Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres, never had a problem. There is some debate about their level of grip because they use a hard compound, again never affected me. In my front (motor wheel) I also use slime. Probably overkill, just a belt and braces approach.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
5500 km no punctures. Two different makes of puncture resistant tyre, both sticky soft rubber with kevlar belts. I pulled a small screw out of one.

- all hawthorn hedges have been ripped out here
- I stay out of the area covered in broken glass and metal bits fallen off cars on the side of the road, I usually ride just off the white line where the road is still clean
- adequate inflation helps survive potholes otherwise I put my arm out and ride around them, most drivers seem to understand...

grldtnr

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
south east Essex
5500 km no punctures. Two different makes of puncture resistant tyre, both sticky soft rubber with kevlar belts. I pulled a small screw out of one.

- all hawthorn hedges have been ripped out here
- I stay out of the area covered in broken glass and metal bits fallen off cars on the side of the road, I usually ride just off the white line where the road is still clean
- adequate inflation helps survive potholes otherwise I put my arm out and ride around them, most drivers seem to understand...
Puncture proofing tyres. Never works!

Getting puncture resistant ones ,is the answer..
Schwalbe marathon ,the best I have come across

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

kangooroo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2015
Wye Valley
I use Slime in my tyres. On my first trip out on my first, brand new leccy bike, the Slime hadn't arrived so I took my chances. Alas, two miles from home, I drove over a blackthorn twig and the thorn went straight into my front tyre. I broke off the twig, left the thorn in place and it held.

The Slime arrived the following day so I removed the thorn, applied the Slime into the deflated tyre and it sealed the puncture and held firm for 2.5 years. At this time, the Slime has congealed in the valve preventing the tyre from being inflated so I then had to change the inner tube.

On my non-leccy bike which I use on canal towpaths, I've ridden over a few twigs and thorns and the Slime has performed so I'm very happy with it, although less impressed by the congealed mess in the valve but this has only happened once in the 8-10 years or so I've used it on 3 bikes.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
Just been watching Dakar Rally motorcycle series of vids current taking place in South America and seen Tire Mousse used by a UK racer.

"The mousse is compressed as soon as the tire is inflated. Once the tire begins being used, it heats up and becomes primed for use. In the event of an air leak, and subsequent loss of pressure, the mousse expands to fill the void, giving a pressure almost equal to that of a properly inflated tire."

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing and flecc

PatH

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2015
Thumbs up for Schwalbe marathon plus, never had a puncture in nearly 5,000 miles, through forest tracks, over glass, they are the best, still plenty of tread left.

A track pump from wilco (£7.99) to keep them at 5 bar.

Russelliow

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2017
iom
I use the green slime stuff. Got a big thorn in the tyre recently and it was still inflated a week later. I have plus sized tyres and I had to put more slime than they recommend to stop the punctures.

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
Has anyone on here used any of the gunk you put through the valve that helps to seal punctures?
Ive used 'Slime', the green stuff a couple of times. Kept a Brompton tyre up for a year. When it finally failed I found 6 holes in d tube.
Now its a 20in tube in a Kenda as a precaution, with half the old tube outside it as a 1mm buffer, and had it go soft a couple of times. Possible punctures, so may have saved me more long walks home.
Mikel

sheddyian

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 7, 2017
East Sussex
I got my first e-bike (Cyclotricity Revolver) 6 months ago; had a puncture on the very first ride!

I changed the tyres for Schwalbe Land Cruiser Plus and also fitted Schwalbe tubes, and I've not had any problem since. (900+ miles)

[edit to add]
As I was keen to go out for a 2nd ride on my new bike, I thought I'd try some puncture repair / typre inflator stuff I'd got some time ago. (I hadn't yet bought the new tyres & tubes, and didn't have a spare tube either). I connected it to the tyre valve, let the can fill the tyre... and it inflated very well. Then the tube/tyre exploded, showering me and the room with a gritty, sticky foam which floated in the air like unpleasant snow.

Ian

Last edited:

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I got my first e-bike (Cyclotricity Revolver) 6 months ago; had a puncture on the very first ride!

I changed the tyres for Schwalbe Land Cruiser Plus and also fitted Schwalbe tubes, and I've not had any problem since. (900+ miles)

[edit to add]
As I was keen to go out for a 2nd ride on my new bike, I thought I'd try some puncture repair / typre inflator stuff I'd got some time ago. (I hadn't yet bought the new tyres & tubes, and didn't have a spare tube either). I connected it to the tyre valve, let the can fill the tyre... and it inflated very well. Then the tube/tyre exploded, showering me and the room with a gritty, sticky foam which floated in the air like unpleasant snow.

Ian
You know they are made in Indonesia? Just saying. In case you have any doubts on the capability of Indonesians to make tyres to German specifications... :rolleyes:

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
Schwalbe get their winter studded tyres made there too? Got one on d front and its out of true in circumference and laterally. Thought it felt more nervous after d change but put it dwn to change in size dn frm 2.125 to 1.6in.
Mikel

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland

[edit to add]

Ian
One lives and learns . After I got my first puncture which led to a five mile walk home, I decided to get the slime stuff. Unfortunately my bike has the very narrow valves and I felt it would be difficult to inject it. So I chickened out and bought two slime filled tube from halfords own brand.. so far so good no more punctures in a year.

shaun wyatt

Nov 28, 2017
Bath
Just been watching Dakar Rally motorcycle series of vids current taking place in South America and seen Tire Mousse used by a UK racer.

"The mousse is compressed as soon as the tire is inflated. Once the tire begins being used, it heats up and becomes primed for use. In the event of an air leak, and subsequent loss of pressure, the mousse expands to fill the void, giving a pressure almost equal to that of a properly inflated tire."

shaun wyatt

Nov 28, 2017
Bath

I have been looking for something like this for bike wheels but cannot find anything anywhere