Advice for a first build

AviatorTrainman

Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2018
Arizona, USA
Hey all, first time posting. I've been haunting the forums here for a while now, and gathering a lot of info, so I think I know what I'm talking about, but maybe not.

Anyways. I have a beautiful Trek FX 2 that I got in the fall to replace my 7200 that got totalled when I got struck by a car. I was at my local bike shop a while ago, and I got to test ride a 350 watt Bosch mid drive hybrid, and I loved the feel of it. More recently, I made a trip to a dedicated ebike shop, and realized that a hub motor is also a viable option. (I had previously been considering a TSDZ2 mid drive.) So now, I've been looking for a geared hub, preferably in the front (for weight balance and AWD), that could manage a top speed of around 30 km/h with pedalling. (I am a strong cyclist to begin with.) I first looked at a Bafang SWXK, then a Q85, then a SWXU, then a Q100, all because of their light weight. If I bought a Q100 24 volt kit (https://www.greenbikekit.com/24v-250w-g ... r-kit.html) and got a new controller (https://www.greenbikekit.com/e-bike-bru ... tible.html), and used it with a 36 volt battery, would it get done what I want it to?

I weigh 60 kg, and I would like to have a light bike with a decent top speed (30 to 35 km/h), maybe a 10 Ah battery, maybe made with these cells (https://www.ev-power.eu/Li-Ion-18650-ce ... aram=18650) in a 4p configuration, and ability to provide a medium assist, but not be a motorbike with pedals. My questions are as follows:

1. Would this setup be too much for the motor, or will it take it like a champ? I've heard both about this motor, so I wanted to confirm.
2. Would this get me the speed I want in a 700c rim? I had assumed that since it is 201 rpm (26.5 km/h) no load speed at 24 volts, it would be a no load speed of 302 rpm (39.8 km/h) at 36 volts and 402 rpm (53! km/h) at 48 volts. Am I correct? How can I convert from no load speed to loaded? I also heard somewhere that these motors actually spin at 230 rpm, not 201.
3. Would the LCD from the kit's controller be compatible with the new dual voltage controller? Would there be some sort of connection/voltage incompatibility?
4. Would 2 torque arms do the trick on a front aluminum fork?

PS:
Thanks for reading, sorry for the wall of text/brackets.

D

Deleted member 4366

At only 60kg, a Q100 is a good choice. If you want a modal speed of 20 mph (32 km/h), you need around 260 rpm. The 24v 201 rpm one at 36v becomes too fast, especially with 700c wheels. For a front motor you want the 260rpm Q100H or the 201 rpm one and run it at 48v. You will probanly be OK with a 15 amp controller as you don't weigh much, but if you want an easier time at the expense of using more battery, you can go to 17 amps.

The best controller, in my experience, is the KT with the LCD3. That's the S06S from BMSBattery also obtainable from PSWPower and Aliexpress as sine wave controllers. Buy the LCD with the controller asva pair to ensure compatibility because there are different versions.

The battery you propose is OK, but it's quite expensive to make your first one because you have to buy special equipment. Unless you plan to get heavily involved and build more batteries, a ready-made one would be better. You can get a nice frame-mounted one for best weight distribution. Bear in mind that using constant 20 mph speed will consume about 20 to 25wh/mile, so 10Ah will take you about 20 miles max.

A rear motor is better, IMHO. It's quieter, safer, gives better handling and better traction. For a rear motor, you need the Q100C, which would mean the 201 rpm one at 48v to get the 260 rpm speed.

One torque arm should be enough because the Q100 doesn't give as much torque as some motors. It's really important to make sure that a front motor is installed properly, so if you go ahead with one, ask again when it arrives to avoid pitfalls.

Generally motors pull well up to about 75% of their no-load speed, then the power is a straight ramp down to zero at maximum rpm. How fast you go on the road depends on how hard you pedal. Don't forget that your actual battery voltage is arounf 40v when full, so a bigger battery will hold a higher voltage for longer and those extra 4 volts give a 10% increase in power anfd speed. Taking the 260 rpm Q100h, you get an otr speed of .75 x 260/201 x 1.1 x 28/26 x 25 km/h, which is around 29km/h. Assistance will then carry on, though decreasing to 38km/h. That's with a full battery. Multiply by 0.75 for an empty battery. If you need more speed than that, you need to go up a motor size to the Q128, in which case the rear 36v 201 rpm (actually 260 rpm) Q128c at 48v or the 48v 328 rpm one would be perfect.

• Informative
Reactions: daveboy

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
If you are a strong cyclist to begin with set the cut off to 25 km/h and use the motor for starting off and climbing hills, that will get you maximum range.

If you want assist to 33-35 km/h a 36v Q100C rear motor with a 48v battery would be my choice too. Go for the 20A sine wave controller from pswpower because at assistance level 4 you will have a nice healthy 480 W and keep level 5 in reserve for when you have to go wild :D

The cells you chose don't have a high enough discharge, only 7 Amps. Look for something with 15 Amp discharge or more if you want to make a small and light battery.

I am running my mid-drive GSM set to cut off at 37 km/h at the moment and it is OK but I may turn it down to 33 km/h for more range. 45 km/h is lots of fun except for traffic, no one expects an old guy pedalling to be moving at speeds like that and they pull out in front of you at every single stop sign or roundabout... :mad:

AviatorTrainman

Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2018
Arizona, USA
Thanks for all the help!
I've looked at the q100h, and it looks like just what I need, but I can't seem to find the weight. is it any heavier than the q100? Also, where can I get the same things BMSBattery offers with lower shipping rates? It's ridiculous. Order - $369, Shipping - $239. o_O I found this battery (https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/US-EU-Free-Tax-36V-11Ah-Lithium-ion-Frame-Ebike-Battery-Pack-with-42V-2A-Charger/1178407_32741562055.html), but I'm not sure if that's the best price, either...

Edit: Forgot to add that the battery I had my eye on at BMSBattery is a 36V15Ah shark battery, for $196 U.S., which is what I've been looking for, except I was hoping to have the shipping be less than 70% of the price of the product. Is that available?

D

Deleted member 4366

Those shark batteries are not so easy to fit because the fixing holes are too high compared with those on your down-tube, which means you have to drill your frame and add your own rivnuts or do some bodge. The Dolphin ones are very straight-forward.

Thev Q100H is 2.2kg, the same as the Q100. Only the internal gearing and windings are different. Everything is interchangeable.

AviatorTrainman

Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2018
Arizona, USA
Thank you, and thanks for letting me know about the shark battery. I checked back in with ev-power.eu, and as it turns out, they offer a battery building service, and for the cells I selected, they offer this service at a price of $0.12 per cell. I feel as though that would probably be my best option, since I have access to a 3d printer at school as part of my design course, and so I could 3d print something similar to a dolphin case for free, since I am trying to keep costs down as much as possible on this build. With this setup, total cost for the battery is $154.33, including BMS. Anotherkiwi said that 7 amp discharge is not enough. Is that only when used with a 20 amp controller? In a 4p configuration, that gives 28 amp max discharge, which seems like plenty for a 15 amp controller, like I have decided I will use. With regards to front vs. rear motor, I chose front for a few reasons, so if I say I ordered one, it's not because I ignored the advice I was given :D:
- I ride through the winter, which in Canada means lots of snow, and so having a drive at both the front and rear wheels is helpful in maintaining stability.
- Having ridden a rear drive with a rear battery, I've noticed that in slippery conditions the bike has a propensity to do something like a reverse fishtail, where the front wheel will not have enough traction, and will begin to slide side to side as I try to correct, eventually getting to where I have to slow down or stop, which is not as fun. :p I gathered that this is from having a very tail heavy bike, but if it's not, please correct me before I make a misinformed decision.
- I often pull a trailer, and while this gives better traction at the rear wheel, it also makes the bike back heavy, and a rear motor would compound the problem.
- I have an 8-speed cassette which I am very happy with, and a rear q100 would force me to change that, which is also expensive, since I would need new index shifters, and possibly a new freewheel/cassette.

Thanks for the help so far, I feel like I'll be much happier with my kit now than if I'd gone with my initial choices. If something I've said doesn't add up, please call me out on it, since I want everything to be as nice as possible.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Anotherkiwi said that 7 amp discharge is not enough. Is that only when used with a 20 amp controller? In a 4p configuration, that gives 28 amp max discharge, which seems like plenty for a 15 amp controller, like I have decided I will use.
15A / 4 = 3.75A or more than 50% of a 7A cells discharge, aiming for 33% or less is much easier on the cells and you won't sag as much on hills. Bigger power is always better, smaller weight is too so you have to find a compromise.

[QUOTE="AviatorTrainman, post: 423141, member: 22138"
- I have an 8-speed cassette which I am very happy with, and a rear q100 would force me to change that, which is also expensive, since I would need new index shifters, and possibly a new freewheel/cassette.
[/QUOTE]

A Q100CST allows you to keep your cassette.

I get your point with riding on snow, I have done that in the distant past. Personally I find a front motor to be very un-bicycle like to ride, some people get on fine with a front motor, it boils down to personal taste I guess.

D

Deleted member 4366

Front wheel drive is not much good for slippery conditions. There's not enough weight on the wheel to get traction so it just spins. That effect is made much worse when you go uphill, which is when you need the help from the motor.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Okay, thanks for letting me know. I'll consider a rear wheel drive. How can I use a rear wheel drive and keep the weight balanced?
fit a downtube battery.
The weight of the battery is roughly same compared to the weight of the rear motor.

harrys

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 1, 2016
Chicago, USA
I like that ebay kit. I believe he's the only guy in the US with a low cost geared motor. I bought one from him three years ago and have 1300 miles on it. No troubles with the motor. I had the LED version with 3 level PAS, which is a bit crude but level 1 is perfect for me as it runs up to about 13 mph and shuts down. Allows me to ride at 12-14 mph. Throttle response is mild on 36V, but probably typical of a 500W motor with a 20A controller. About 20 mph top speed on throttle. Run on 48V, it will do 24 mph and feels pretty comparable to other 48V bikes I've ridden.

That was the old kit. I just bought the current one that you're looking. LCD version. Rear wheel. $209 USD. Free shipping. Last November, I paid $144 USD just for a Q128H shipped. No electronics. No wheel. This is certainly less money. He was out of stock since October on ebay, which is why ordered a Q128. When I saw he had stock last month, I ordered one. Came in two days as he ships out of Chicago.

The new kit with LCD has a 22A controller. Appears to be compatible with both 36V or 48V. 5 level PAS. I won't have it on a bike til April, but have run it on my bench and look forward to trying it out. I liked the LCD version, for more flexibility in battery voltage. Again, I haven't run it in real world conditions yet, but the previous motor was alright for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andrew K
D

Deleted member 4366

I've got the full kit planned out, with everything except the battery and spokes coming from BMSBattery. It'll be 248 USD. However, I've been looking around, and I recently found this: https://www.ebikeling.com/shop/electric-bicycle-36v-500w-geared-rear-700c-kit-opt1, which would be 185 USD. Does anybody have experience with these ebikeling kits? It seems like it'd be a much better deal if it's up to the task.
It's a freewheel motor, so you'll be limited to 7-speed gears unless you want to do some other modifications. If you presently have more than 7-speeds at the rear, a cassette motor will be much better.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
It's a freewheel motor, so you'll be limited to 7-speed gears unless you want to do some other modifications. If you presently have more than 7-speeds at the rear, a cassette motor will be much better.
Looking at the DNP 7 speed freewheel I have here it looks like one could machine about 1.8 mm off the rear and front lock rings. I was wondering if an 8 speed 13-34 could be brought down to 37 mm stack height thus fitting one of the tiny Xiongda rear freewheel motors...

D

Deleted member 4366

You can fit a DNP 8-spd, but it makes the motor wide on the one side, which off-sets the rim. You can compensate by dishing the wheel, but that means loose spokes on the non-drive side. Alternatively, you can compensate by adding a space to the opposite side, but then you need to stretch your frame even further, which then means that you have to sort out caliper alignment if you have a disc brake. There's loads of things you can do if you have the motivation.

7-spd would be OK if you changed over to a Shimano Tourney caliper and shifter - not as good as a Shimano XT cassette system, but they still work.

My point is really that if you have nice gears on your bike, it's probably better to pay a bit more for a cassette motor to keep them. It's going to cost at least £20 on top of the kit for a DNP freewheel, and that's about the difference between a cassette motor and a freewheel one, so it would make more sense to go with the cassette motor and keep your nice gears rather than downgrading to crappy 7-speed gears at the same cost, but with loads of hassle to install it all too.

People often only look at the cost of the kit without thinking about the overall cost to get there bike running how they want it. Cheap kits are great for cheap bikes.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Keeping the dishing to a minimum was my goal in getting rid of the 1.x mm or so and getting the 8 speed down from 38.9 mm to as close to 37 mm as possible.

YTW-06-rear.png

There is already a 6 mm dish with the xiongda. As there is now a sensored option for this motor there ara a couple of wheels I'd like to build with it in. One is a 7 speed bike so no issue, the other would be better with the 8 speed.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I found this thread which I now remember reading a couple of years ago when I was building the freewheel Mxus bike:

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=62844

So it is possible to disassemble DNP freewheels and swap cogs around. Of course gear changing may be affected - some shifts might not be a smooth as before.

AviatorTrainman

Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2018
Arizona, USA
As I keep going with this, to me it seems to be getting a bit less beneficial to have a hub drive in relation to the reduced cost. I'm starting to come full circle, and l am looking at a TSDZ2 mid drive motor again. Is it worth the extra cost, or should I keep looking at hub motor kits? Sorry if I seem like I'm asking too many questions, I just really want to get this right.

Edit: By extra cost, I mean that Aliexpress has it for $330 shipped, and Alibaba advertises it at $280, but they don't do shipping quotes until later in the process.

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
To keep it balanced, crank-drives have the advantage that they can give high torque and high speed, but not both at the same time, though that advantage disappears if your hub-motor has enough speed and torque for what you want.
that's the best summary I've read for a long time.