Reactions: kokamintti

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Reactions: falmouthtony

footpump

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2014
lets assume your bosch moter is out of 2 year warrenty and the bearing fails.
and you have correct replacement bearing, and spider tool,, crank puller etc.

I am wondering if its easy to replace said bearing I assume its a force fit on moter shaft or however it fits.
if it was easy ,why do bosch replace complete moters if still in warrenty and not just the bearing at the dealership

Ballynoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2017
Perthshire Scotland
I would imagine it's easier for the local bike shop to replace a complete motor under warranty, if it's under warranty it's getting replaced anyway. Not all warranty replacements will be for the bearings. Bosch then get the faulty one back and THEY are the only ones who really know what the faults are, this way they can tell if there is a design fault or they need to modify the build process etc. This stops bike shops finding "common" problems with motors etc and "passing" this info to customers inadvertently. I am assuming.

This is quite interesting.

If my bearings went and it was out of warranty, I would certainly strip the motor and try to replace the bearings, whats the worst that can happen... you have to buy a new motor anyway.

I find all those items which say "no user serviceable parts inside" are quite easy to take apart and fix. I work on the principle of ...if it can be built it can be dismantled and fixed.. ;) or at least I will have a dam good try. Assuming you have the tools and some mechanical knowledge. If you are not confident, then by all means ask your local bike shop.

It's just a way for manufacturers to keep a lid on any potential design problems, keeps it all "in house"

Manufacturers of all types, cars, bikes, washing machines etc are keen to keep repairs "in house" as this is a very lucrative market for them, selling replacement parts etc, they can make more money from that, than from new purchases IMHO.

Last edited:

Ballynoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2017
Perthshire Scotland
This I find really interesting, it's a graphic video of the Bosch motor. From what I can make out the bearing is held in place with a cir-clip. But gives a good exploded view of the motor.... I'm sad I find this stuff fascinating :oops:

Reactions: Neowoody

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
S1060090.JPG S1060091.JPG
you can see it on the left hand side so not that hard to replace as it prob comes off when you remove the side panel or just need a spider tool to remove it if the other side goes then it is a complete strip down to replace it.

Reactions: Ballynoes

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
Seen a few links to bearings on here for the Bosch motors, does anyone know the actual size, or will it be a micrometer job when mine fail :D
I could tell you but you wouldn't learn from that :p
However you could look at the link I posted and click on the size guide, next to the appropriate bearing code (also in the link) you'll see the dimensions ;);););):););););););)

trillium11

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 9, 2017
Lancashire, England
Watching this thread with interest as I too have stupidly been jet washing my 7 month old 1200m+ cube ebike which gets caked on a regular basis. I do keep the exterior parts well lubed but who knows whats going on inside the motor housing! I've ordered all the bits to start lubing and servicing though.. plus a soft brush for slow boring cleaning lol.

On a second note, has anyone considered one of the new neoprene type motor covers that have been popping up online recently? wonder how much they would help to keep crud and water out etc?

argoose

Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2017
south wales
Watching this thread with interest as I too have stupidly been jet washing my 7 month old 1200m+ cube ebike which gets caked on a regular basis. I do keep the exterior parts well lubed but who knows whats going on inside the motor housing! I've ordered all the bits to start lubing and servicing though.. plus a soft brush for slow boring cleaning lol.

On a second note, has anyone considered one of the new neoprene type motor covers that have been popping up online recently? wonder how much they would help to keep crud and water out etc?
Or keep crud in. If you do go down this route make sure to remove and clean/air motor.

Energizer Bunny

Pedelecer
Dec 14, 2017
united kingdom
I just replaced my drive side bearing on cX motor. It is straight forward enough, just requires a bit of tapperty--tap-tap-tap. I used enduro bearings and you in addition to normal bike tools you need the Bosch chain ring tool.

1) remove battery (do not risk motor starting with fingers in it).
2) clean bike
3) take off pedals (crank puller needs octalink insert)
4) optional remove chain (I gave mine a clean and oil). Quick links are useful.
5) Use Bosch chain ring tool to remove chain ring screw cover. Chain ring comes off.
6) remove plastic covers from motor.
7) remove circlip from driveside axle.
8) prise off ring and plastic grease cover if fitted to drive side axle.
9) clean all dirt off aluminium motor
10) optional remove motor discount cables. I did not do this.
11) pick the glue out of torx bolt heads, drive side.
12) undo torx bolts
13) prise open motor gently.
14) the cover will come off probably with white plastic gears attached.
15) lift white satellite gear off.
16) pull main gear out of axle shaft reveals roller bearings (pictured below)
17) you should only have drive side cover and bearing. Tap it out.
18) clean grease, tap new bearing in, I used old bearing to tap home.
19) clean plastic gears if dirty.
20) reassembly the plastic gears they slide together nicely.
21) reassemble to motor body, line up gently and feel gears slide home.
22) put it all back together.

My bike is second hand so no choice. Unlike new enduro bearings, the old bearing is only sealed on one side.
Do this at your own risk invalidate warranty etc etc.

Attachments

Last edited:

Energizer Bunny

Pedelecer
Dec 14, 2017
united kingdom
Open case, I was surprised how clean it looked inside, it is very well sealed. I use my bike on very wet and muddy Dartmoor.
Bike is upsidedown, I did consider putting on its side for when I pulled the driveside cover away, but carried on ok as it is.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: Denis99

Energizer Bunny

Pedelecer
Dec 14, 2017
united kingdom
Using old bearing as a guide to tap home new bearing. Obviously only tap outer race and ensure it goes in uniformly and fully, the grease helps indicate it is fully home. Fingers are very good for feeling any miss-alignment.

Attachments

Last edited:

Related Articles

Advertisers