Giant Quick-e 2018

mike adams

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 6, 2016
edinburgh
Has any one on the forum bought the above bike and if so could they recommend it, spoiled for choice in the £2500 bracket, preferably hybrid.

Thanks

Rutland Cycling

Trade Member
Sep 5, 2017
Rutland
Hi Mike,

The Quick-e is fantastic value for money, not only do you get Giants own Yamaha motor, but you also get a decent level of integration for the battery. The Yamaha is the ideal choice for commuting as you get 80Nm of torque and a large 42T chainring to get a decent amount of speed when the motor reaches its cut-off.

An alternative I would look at (although it is a little more expensive and comes with a slightly smaller capacity battery) is the Specialized Turbo Vado 3.0 - https://www.rutlandcycling.com/bikes/electric-bikes/specialized-turbo-vado-3-0-2018-electric-hybrid-bike-grey_376807

Let us know if you have any questions on either of the bikes and we will be happy to help!

Many thanks
Luke

D

Deleted member 4366

For me, It doesn't make sense to have a commuter-type bike with a crank motor. A hub motor will give a much better ride and it will have lower running costs and most likely be more reliable.

I can summarise by saying that spending more money on such a bike, all you do is commit to a higher cost per mile and a less enjoyable ride.

I still fail to see why all these more expensive bikes keep pushing crank motors in such bikes. There's a place for crank motors, but that isn't it.

Have a look at the nice bikes from Wisper and Oxygen, or if you feel compelled to spend (waste) a bit more money, look at Volt bikes.

mike adams

May 6, 2016
edinburgh
Hi Mike,

The Quick-e is fantastic value for money, not only do you get Giants own Yamaha motor, but you also get a decent level of integration for the battery. The Yamaha is the ideal choice for commuting as you get 80Nm of torque and a large 42T chainring to get a decent amount of speed when the motor reaches its cut-off.

An alternative I would look at (although it is a little more expensive and comes with a slightly smaller capacity battery) is the Specialized Turbo Vado 3.0 - https://www.rutlandcycling.com/bikes/electric-bikes/specialized-turbo-vado-3-0-2018-electric-hybrid-bike-grey_376807

Let us know if you have any questions on either of the bikes and we will be happy to help!

Many thanks
Luke
Thanks Luke, I'm in Edinburgh so not too many test ride places for the Giant the other bike I was looking at was the Scott esub sport 20, any opinion on that?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
For me, It doesn't make sense to have a commuter-type bike with a crank motor. A hub motor will give a much better ride and it will have lower running costs and most likely be more reliable.

I can summarise by saying that spending more money on such a bike, all you do is commit to a higher cost per mile and a less enjoyable ride.

I still fail to see why all these more expensive bikes keep pushing crank motors in such bikes. There's a place for crank motors, but that isn't it.

Have a look at the nice bikes from Wisper and Oxygen, or if you feel compelled to spend (waste) a bit more money, look at Volt bikes.
I am really 50/50 on this issue when it comes to DIY pedelecs. Having had both I get your point but:

- when you live in or near mountains the crank drive wins (once you get the gearing right)
- you have puncture fixing mastery many don't have and normal quick release wheels on both ends helps a lot with that (easier to get a 700C bike in a small car too with both wheels off)
- you can use a Rohloff, the ultimate commuter gear train
- if you want to break the rules (and the speed limit) for a faster commute it is easier with a crank drive
- you can build with an external controller which fixes many of the reliability issues
- cost is about 8-10% higher when you build your own (80€)

All that said my commuter bike will be getting a hub motor later in the year because now I have another bike for touring the Pyrenees, and beyond.

Rutland Cycling

Trade Member
Sep 5, 2017
Rutland
Thanks Luke, I'm in Edinburgh so not too many test ride places for the Giant the other bike I was looking at was the Scott esub sport 20, any opinion on that?
Hi Mike,

The E-Sub sport is a great looking bike for 2018 and comes with the new Bosch PowerTube battery for a more integrated look. Both bikes are fantastic but if you are looking to commute, the Quick-e would win it for me with the wider gearing option.

Many thanks
Luke

bikey850

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2016
UK
I also really liked the look of the Scott e-sub sport 20. In the end availability (delayed UK dates in the XL size) meant I eventualy got a Cube Reaction Hybrid Pro 500 All Road (with mudguards). Add in a rack and lock out the front suspension and it makes a really good commuter.

What also put me off the Scott e-sub sport 20 was that it was not a CX motor and given a large part of the cost of and ebike is the motor felt it was worth paying a bit extra to get the better motor.

Whilst using it for commuting I also quite liked the idea of some tame off roading and felt the Cube was a better multipurpose bike.

mike adams

May 6, 2016
edinburgh
Thanks Luke

Took an e-sub cross out for a test as they did not have a sport, ended up buying the quick-e locally, have to wait 3 weeks though.Thanks for the advice

Mike

bikey850

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2016
UK
I also thought the powertube was a bit of added weight for no real benefit other than cosmetics.

mike adams

May 6, 2016
edinburgh
I also thought the powertube was a bit of added weight for no real benefit other than cosmetics.
I also felt there was a lag on this motor, never having tried the bosch before that might be normal, but i wasn't keen on it, cosmetically it looks a lovely bike.