eMTB owners photo and ride thread.

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
Well today concludes my four days at work, all journeys to work on off road routes of various lengths followed by a 10 mile road trip home.
Ride to work Beech avenue 8 6 18 002.JPG
I used two full batteries and 45%of a third battery to complete the 94 miles I traveled, giving a theoretical range of 38 miles per battery for my 400Wh battery.

However the off road journeys were more frugal than the road trips. Three of my 14 mile off road journeys to work only used 27% of the battery per trip, giving a theoretical range of 52 miles from a full battery.

Where as the road trips home used around 35% of a battery for the 10 mile journeys and a subsequently reduced range of 27 miles.

Reactions: EddiePJ and Fat Rat

Dom T

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Well done to you Georgehenry.
Soundwave, my plastic dippy disc is also worth 1 in a million too :p:D:D:D

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
yeah they cost 1p and are sold in the millions ;)

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
Back to work today with a start time that allowed a lovely 14 mile off road ride to work.
Ride to work view from mill 002.JPG
View from close to High Mill House towards the North Downs Way near Farnham.

Then a 10 mile road ride home with some threatening dark clouds that thankfully did not produce any rain.

Sadly start times dictate a couple of road rides now to work and back on the road on my old hub powered bike, unless a forecast of heavy rain means a rare outing in the car.

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
When I start work at Guildford instead of Farnham as I sometimes do I get to enjoy the towpath of the River Wey from Godalming and use my trusty 2011 Oxygen emate city rear hub bike.
Ride to work River Wey 001.JPG
Towpath at Guildord end of River Wey

Ride to work River Wey 002.JPG
Same view without bike
Ride to work River Wey 003.JPG
View over River Wey and water meadows towards Shalford
Ride to work River Wey 004.JPG
Cows are lowing
Ride to work River Wey 005.JPG
Pill Box
Ride to work River Wey 007.JPG
Probably a good thing that they never got used in angersimon_drew_ dont tell them pike.png Humour of Simon Drew the artist

Ride to work River Wey 009.JPG
Lock near Peasmarsh
Ride to work River Wey 011.JPG
Section after Tilthams corner road
Ride to work River Wey 012.JPG
Almost there! View towards Godalming over the Lammas Lands

A really nice way to travel by bike from Godalming to Guildford.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Clean enough to get dirty again!

I reckon that I've now got the upper hand on the bike detailing. Marks and bruises aside, the Fogo scrubs up very well, and once again feels as good as new. I also have a new three stage frame and wheelset cleaning method, which will be interesting for me to see how it works out in respect of the next muddy, wet ride and whether it helps to prevent the build up of crud.

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
Your forensic cleaning ability is always deeply impressive and somewhat humbling for us mere mortals. Very impressive though.

After having to have my first motor replaced under warranty at 6000 miles and wanting the second one to last as long as possible I am now a bit paranoid about the potential for cleaning products and water under pressure to effect seals and with my second motor clean it more sparingly with plain water from a hose pipe with a soft brush and elsewhere just add oil to lubricate the chain and a small bit of silicon spray to keep the front fork seals lubricated.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Many thanks georgehenry, but if I were using the bike as a daily commute, I certainly wouldn't be putting this kind of effort into it.

I do get great satisfaction from cleaning and detailing though, and my cleaning methods seem to change and evolve quite frequently. Even with this clean, I have discovered a brilliant method of cleaning the matt paint finish, which has always been a pain to keep clean. I bet that not many people would claim to have used a clay bar for bike detailing purpose. I was also impressed by what a difference using a clay bar on wheelset and spokes made.
This clean is a bit of an experiment, as after cleaning I applied Autoglym Resin Super polish followed by Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection. I want to find out of the two products will help to prevent mud build up, and make future interim cleaning easier.

Like you, I also don't get any form of water pressure or detergent anywhere near to drive unit, bearings or fork seals. I swear by ForkJuice for my fork stanchions, and even for other detailing work.

I still need to replace the headset bearings, and also the jockey wheels, but both are currently out of stock at everywhere that I have tried. It is more of an annoyance than being a big deal, as it leaves the bike not finished to the standard that I had wanted.

My issue has always been with the Reverb seat post that I retro fit. I have two of them, and both now require a rebuild. They don't cope overly well with UK riding conditions, and that is with me paying them special attention after each ride. What I should do, is probably make a shroud from an old inner tube.

Deere John

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2015
EU
Wow! That's impressive. I may well be on my 17th by then...

@EddiePJ You before pic is cleaner than my bike is right now. I'm paranoid about the motor, warranty or not, it's still time without the bike!
my second CX-motor lasted 155 km. About 96 miles. Very impressive also!?

Deere John

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2015
EU
Combination of hard winter and bad construction with offset chain ring and crank arm which put much heavier strain on main bearing compared to a more slim variant.
And I thought 350 miles was bad...

Any idea why it failed?
Sent from my eBike through Tapatalk

Deere John

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2015
EU
I have yet to get my bike dirty but I finally bought a new ebike
very nice bike! Out and get it dirty now! :)

I found an interesting way home today, don't know if I've seen this trail before. Wonderful this, you think you have found every trail, but when you start looking around, new ones appear!

Luckily I have a graveyard just after the forrest on the way home so I wash it clean there! :)

20180621_172946.jpg

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
very nice bike! Out and get it dirty now! :)

I found an interesting way home today, don't know if I've seen this trail before. Wonderful this, you think you have found every trail, but when you start looking around, new ones appear!

Luckily I have a graveyard just after the forrest on the way home so I wash it clean there! :)

View attachment 25416
I will dont worry about that :)

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
I know what you mean Deere John I found a really nice trail tucked away behind an overhanging tree that I had been passing by for a couple of years none the wiser. Felt a bit of a fool when I eventually discovered it. I use it quite a lot now.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Riding around here, almost everyone would be surprised to discover that running along side many of the forest pathways, are secondary trails that only I seem to either know about, or have created. It's a brilliant way of keeping away from public eye, and also not having to use chewed up sections. Following tracks made my deer etc, always seems to open up endless possibilities for new routes as well.

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
Another spurious noise.

I have just completed a total of 70 miles in three days commuting to work and back in glorious weather enjoying my summer xc tracks.

However I have had a noise seeming to coming from the front end area of the bike that has been infuriating to track down.

It sounded like it was coming from the front fork area.

I have an expander bolt that holds the front mud guards on, so thought that might be the culprit. Nope.

I found some marginal play in the head bearings and adjusted them. Nope.
Good to have adjusted them though.

I checked the quick release on the front wheel that has previously worked itself undone, Nope.

I checked the motor bolts. Nope.

Finally I checked battery holder and found a screw that had worked loose. I tightened it up. End of noise. Beautiful silence. At least for now. Hoorah.

Until the next noise that will surely arrive sooner or later.

There is something about bikes that makes it often quite hard to find where a noise is coming from.

However I now know that it is worth checking, motor bolts, seat post bolt, pannier rack bolts, chain ring bolts, pedals, to name just a few of the common sources.

Feel free to add to the list.

Last edited:

Related Articles

Advertisers