Importing bikes from Europe after a no deal Brexit

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I reckon not, if she gets half a deal.
I reckon you are almost alone in that thought. After her dismal failure in losing her majority against an unco-ordinated opposition at the last election, I doubt Tory MPs would risk her again in 2022 against a more prepared opposition.

• Agree
Reactions: mike killay

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
they want 40billion pounds for a start and still want to control us
Obviously smart operators. We could learn from them, but better still would be to just stay with them.

Of course, the 40 billions is just for starters to cover our agreed committments. Once the trade deal side of things has been sorted the figure for access could be much higher. Still be worth it though, anything rather than leaving our own governments in unfettered total control.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
many economists reckon that in a no deal brexit scenario, each side will lose as much as 200 billions a year.
the 40 billion covers the subscription until end of 2020 and a lot of other small obligations. It's really small beer in comparison to the loss of possibly over a trillion Pounds by the time our new economic freedom bears enough fruit if at all.
TM has had the courage to go against the hard brexiters. Even BJ acknowledged that.

Reactions: oyster and flecc

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
Obviously smart operators. We could learn from them, but better still would be to just stay with them.

Of course, the 40 billions is just for starters to cover our agreed committments. Once the trade deal side of things has been sorted the figure for access could be much higher. Still be worth it though, anything rather than leaving our own governments in unfettered total control.
may be better just to walk away and take the hit. We don't want to be controlled by Brussels that's why we voted out. The EU will never stop wanting more and more. We need politicians with some backbone.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
personally I would not be surprised if this outcome was what the EU have wanted all along to try and panic us at the last minute into accepting a bad deal rather than no deal. I hope our politicians are not gullible enough to fall for that, but then again they may be in on it
I think that May is hoping the EU will get desperate at the last minute and cave in to give us a good deal.....we may get a shock at the end,they may call our bluff.
KudosDave

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
may be better just to walk away and take the hit. We don't want to be controlled by Brussels that's why we voted out. The EU will never stop wanting more and more. We need politicians with some backbone.
Just look at the tariffs on food under WTO,it will make some food a luxury.....I don’t know anyone who wants to pay double for meat and dairy products.
In the longer term we may be able to replace EU food but that will take time.
KudosDave

Reactions: oyster

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
I think that May is hoping the EU will get desperate at the last minute and cave in to give us a good deal.....we may get a shock at the end,they may call our bluff.
KudosDave
they may well do,but maybe we'll call theirs although I don't have great faith. Be interesting to see what Raab s approach is

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
Just look at the tariffs on food under WTO,it will make some food a luxury.....I don’t know anyone who wants to pay double for meat and dairy products.
In the longer term we may be able to replace EU food but that will take time.
KudosDave
At one time we would have been able to produce most of our own meat and dairy before the EU. Maybe we'll get there again if we get unshackled from the CAP

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
At one time we would have been able to produce most of our own meat and dairy before the EU. Maybe we'll get there again if we get unshackled from the CAP
A long time before the EU! Apparently in the 1870s we were only around 70% self-sufficient. (It got worse after that!)

Think you have to go back another century or so to get to being full self-sufficient.

http://www.agr.kyushu-u.ac.jp/foodsci/4_paper_Colman.pdf

• Agree
Reactions: anotherkiwi

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
  • Agree
Reactions: mike killay

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
they want 40billion pounds for a start and still want to control us
Yes, the EU does exert some control over the UK. What is rarely mentioned is that the UK does exert some control over the other 27. There is some degree of balance - it is not all one-way.

View attachment 25882 Dont worry over Brexit. Once the Italian economy implodes we're all doomed .
Having spent quite a bit of time with Italians recently they've asked if they can have their country back please.

We've got hot weather, good footballers and crazy politics. They thought they had the rights to that!

I'll be buying Shimano next time, Germany can **** off.
Which Shimano equipped bike? Because unless you're planning on buying the Orange or Whisper, I think pretty much every other one is made in the EU27 isn't it? Even if it isn't chances are it'll come with German tyres and tubes and a host of other EU derived products. The whole cycling industry is based around a model that involves manufacture in Far East or EU, with assembly in EU to service the EU market. If / when we move to outside that market you'll find that the industry focus's on the 27 remaining states with their consistent laws and market place and we're left as a separate much smaller market (tiny for eBikes) shackled to the EU by our need to match their laws for a host of reasons.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Russelliow

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2017
iom
Well it won't be another KTM and that's for sure.
Hopefully orange will bring out a frame set buy the time I need a new bike.

Last edited: