Bafang virgin

Guzzimag

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 29, 2018
West Yorkshire
Hello folks. Introducing myself as ordered! I'm a long time cyclist, old fart, and had my first go on a rented ebike recently whilst in mallorca, a Kalkhoff trekking bike with bosch motor. It was so much fun I've decided to convert one of my bikes (voodoo 29er mtb) with a bafang kit, currently looking at a 750w 48v kit from ev components in Germany and a battery from Eclipse in the UK. I know its not legal, but in my defence officer, I have no intention of riding like an idiot, too old for that. I want something fun and easier for my hilly Yorkshire commute. I do about 120 miles a week at the moment and it would be nice to have something lazy to use on the days when I'm too knackered to cycle normal bike, without resorting to motorbike or (shudder) public transport. Expect many stupid questions about pas settings and batteries soon.

Cheers

Guzzimag

Jul 29, 2018
West Yorkshire
Hi Lyme. Yes sometimes I just want a hand with that massive hill at the end of my commute. I was trawling the net last night and I think bbs02 750w will be overkill for me, I don't want a throttle and I want to be pedalling with assistance not shoved along. Sooo. Might go for a bbs01 250/350w 36v. Lighter too as I won't require quite such a humongous battery. My main concern is reliability it will be used in all weathers all year round

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
Hi
I use bbs01 250watt 36 volt :) used in all weathers rain etc but I would not want to drown it several people on here do long commutes all year round
The battery will be roughly the same size if you go for a down tube hailong style they just configure the cell layout differently
36 v need higher ah capacity but extra cells are required to get 48v but at a lower ah capacity so in the end not much in it.
Like you I thought I might not need a throttle but fitted it anyway and find I use it for that instant boost [hill starts traffic light etc]

Guzzimag

Jul 29, 2018
West Yorkshire
Hi Peter. I'm currently looking at some oh so attractive but functional full mudguards for the 29er to keep as much spray as possible off the motor. The crud catchers on there at present are too small and useless really. I also have an armoury of cable sheathing, heatshrink, dialectric grease etc from motorcycle wiring projects so will get everything as waterproof as I can, see how it copes. Going to be a fun project!

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
36V battery will generally have 50 cells in 10S5P config,
48v for the same case will have 52cells in 13S4P config.
Weight diff is negligible but the main diff is the 48v will usually have more watts hours although the ah is less.
An example;
36v x 14.5ah = 522wh.
48v x 12ah = 576wh.
Although negligible the 48v will have a few more miles range.

• Useful
Reactions: peter.c and lyme

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
Thanks yes it is a ongoing project the brakes are hydraulic with cut outs just got a new wheelset with nexus igh gears and the touring racks have arrived .
the main thing is to enjoy the build process but you will have the bike you want and not off the peg and at a reasonable cost

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
This is my 29er with full mud guards the widest full guards I could findView attachment 26056
very similar to my BBSHD 29er conversion... i see your rear guard like my own not fitting properly! Don`t think they`re made for full guards.

Set the `Current Limit` at 30A and the `Keep current` at 90% or so and you`re good to go.

Attachments

Reactions: peter.c

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
nice build:D yes it is hard to find a guard both wide enough and long intended to buy another set and cut and shut the length but other build has me distracted might return to this one or sell it

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
nice build:D yes it is hard to find a guard both wide enough and long intended to buy another set and cut and shut the length but other build has me distracted might return to this one or sell it
You could cut and remove most of the rear guard leaving the bit between the two screw points in the rear triangle.

Then add a mudhugger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: peter.c

Headshok

Pedelecer
Feb 19, 2018
Swindon
How is the Bafang with no power, easy to pedal, I am used to Bosch but going to do my old hard rock with a Bafang 48v 700w, also recommend me a battery buying link

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
How is the Bafang with no power, easy to pedal, I am used to Bosch but going to do my old hard rock with a Bafang 48v 700w, also recommend me a battery buying link
Not too bad to be honest. I wouldn't be riding without power as a general rule, but fine as a get you home if the battery runs out of juice.

Battery link: http://eclipsebikes.com/index.php?cPath=30_31&osCsid=05b0c71864b8630d7b6d9ccf8cd6f970

I've bought two batteries from Eclipse, and they've been spot on, although don't expect quick response to any e-mail questions.

Deus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 18, 2014
Dewsbury
Set the `Current Limit` at 30A and the `Keep current` at 90% or so and you`re good to go.
Do find this the best setting (90%) all of the other programs EM3,Karls etc use 60-80 % do you find that you are using more battery ?