Woman fighting for life after 'e-bike' hit-and-run in east London

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
It may be a Specialized factory made ebike.

However, those describing it for the report will not be experts, so it could be a Specialized push bike that's been converted,
Good point
Not that it will make any difference to the haters

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Apparently a 30-year-old has been arrested - furious driving like the guy in London
Inevitable once his clear photo was out. Reporting an accident where injury has occurred is mandatory, so running away from the scene and leaving someone seriously injured might put him in line for a custodial sentence, regardless of whether he committed a cycling offence.

Reactions: Marc Draco

Nefarious

Pedelecer
Jul 27, 2016
South Yorkshire; S11
That’s a very strange label
“Furious driving”
I drive cars , vans etc
I ride a bike I certainly don’t drive one :(
I think it's one of those archaic legal terms - I recall that it predates the motor car and originally applied to horses, carriages, etc

I'd like to see ASBO's given out to cyclists (and runners!) who don't respect pedestrians as, fundamentally, it is an antisocial behaviour, but that's not sufficient in cases like the one above

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Personally I'd like to see more regulation of cyclists on pavements and pedestrian areas. When I'm on foot, it's amazing how frequently cyclists fly past your shoulder from behind - every time it makes me jump. When I am anywhere near pedestrians, I always slow down and give them right of way. Where there are traffic queues, cyclists pile straight onto the pavements and speed down them - one time I had to open my umbrella to protect myself from an oncoming cyclist - strangely the risk to his own head made him slow. Personally I'd like to see a 4mph speed limit enforced on pavements for all vehicles; whether cycles, scooters or mobility scooters...
That is about the speed limit (5km/h) on cycle paths in San Sebastian where pedestrians mix with bikes, 10 or 15 km/h elsewhere on cycle paths. In Irun the limit is 30 km/h on the street for all vehicles including bikes - I'm afraid that I have broken that limit a couple of times, they have very steep hills...

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
That is about the speed limit (5km/h) on cycle paths in San Sebastian where pedestrians mix with bikes, 10 or 15 km/h elsewhere on cycle paths. In Irun the limit is 30 km/h on the street for all vehicles including bikes - I'm afraid that I have broken that limit a couple of times, they have very steep hills...
You must have good legs then.. going uphill at that speed.....

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'd like to see ASBO's given out to cyclists (and runners!) who don't respect pedestrians as, fundamentally, it is an antisocial behaviour, but that's not sufficient in cases like the one above
Drivers behaviour witn pedestrians needs to improve too. Too often they are thoughtless when with a little consideration they could make pedestrians lives much more pleasant.

Such things as, when it's safe, letting pedestrians have precedence at junctions, stopping within a long stream of slow moving traffic to let pedestrians cross when it's obvious they've been waiting ages, stopping for the vulnerable even when there isn't a crossing and it's safe to do so.

A right of way doesn't make exercising it morally right.

Nefarious

Pedelecer
Jul 27, 2016
South Yorkshire; S11
Drivers behaviour witn pedestrians needs to improve too. Too often they are thoughtless when with a little consideration they could make pedestrians lives much more pleasant.

Such things as, when it's safe, letting pedestrians have precedence at junctions, stopping within a long stream of slow moving traffic to let pedestrians cross when it's obvious they've been waiting ages, stopping for the vulnerable even when there isn't a crossing and it's safe to do so.

A right of way doesn't make exercising it morally right.
Sounds remarkably like Canada to me!! :)

Reactions: flecc

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The speculation is the rider ran a red light, time will tell and will be a major factor in any court case.

This is a bit of a bug bear with me as why do cyclists/riders to this !!!
Today riding out of Ovingdean out Brighton & Hove way, I stopped at red lights a busy 4 way junction this afternoon and a lady cyclist blatantly just rode across after waitting for a gap in the traffic from the right and did the same for the traffic coming from the left.
It appears they either don't think stop signals apply to cyclists or are just having a Charles Bronson moment.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Wonder why he ran away then! Intersting how the assumption was that he ran the red light.
May be the Alston case/verdict was on his mind moments after the crash ?

It was someone I believe at the scene who said this.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
It's now been reported that the injured pedestrian ran into the road and that the light for the bicyclist was green.
If this is so then he had no reason to flee unless he had another reason.

Wander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2013
If this is so then he had no reason to flee unless he had another reason.
Won't necessarily have a 'reason'.

People react differently to different situations and it's all to easy to sit at a keyboard, analyse and give opinions.

Fortunately few of us have been in a similar situation to the rider in this case and none in exactly the same situation.

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
She did
Sprinting across the road in front of him
:(
Now the video shows how clearly she was at fault and the cyclist's speed reasonable, the police will have little option but to drop the "Furious driving charge". I doubt they could make it stick.

It's just a pity he ran off without reporting an accident leading to third party injury, since that is a serious offence.

Advertisers