Kalkhoff Agattu Motor Problem?

robelee

Pedelecer
May 11, 2009
Hi, I wonder if anyone can help with the following problem.

My wife has had her Kalkhoff Agattu for a few years and is used very occasionally now. We've just got back from a short ride and bike was perfect until losing power (fortunately very close to home) with no lights showing on controller.
On inspection, bike freewheels perfectly forwards but incredibly stiff when wheeling backwards. I have tried different batteries and even changed over connection mount from my Pro Connect and put Agattu parts on mine and my Pro Connect is fine, I'm thinking it's probably a motor issue. Anyone had similar?

Rob

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It will be stiff wheeling backweards since that reverses the chain against the motor freewheel and is therefore turning the motor through up-gearing, always difficult.

So that stiffness doesn't necessarily mean a motor fault, though that is very likely to be the problem. Is it the Panasonic or Impulse 1 power unit?

robelee

Pedelecer
May 11, 2009
Hi Flecc, Its the Panasonic - I can compare to my Pro which freewheels far easier that the Agattu - it really feels as if the rear brake is on.

Rob

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Hi Flecc, Its the Panasonic - I can compare to my Pro which freewheels far easier that the Agattu - it really feels as if the rear brake is on.

Rob
If both use the Panasonic unit it seems either the large nylon gear is chewing up or one of the units bearings is seizing

All the motor bearings are replaceable, there are two on the nylon gear shaft and two small ones in the motor, plus the pedelec sensor shaft bearings I've only ever known the motor ones go but they usually create a lot of noise when they start to fail.

There's more information in my Panasonic support website.

This link there shows your Agattu motor's innards.

And this link about the old unit contains an information link on how to replace the motor bearings if they've failed, the motor on both old and new units being the same.

If you don't fancy doing it yourself, member the Bearing Man offers this service. You can contact him on this link.

Reactions: Bearing Man

robelee

Pedelecer
May 11, 2009
Thanks Flecc, I shall start to investigate. Would the motor failing give me no lights on control unit?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks Flecc, I shall start to investigate. Would the motor failing give me no lights on control unit?
A mechanical failure like a bearing or gear failing wouldn't, so investigate the other options first. The plug in connectors by the unit that connect to the control unit, unplug and replug to ensure they are connecting ok. The battery connector, is it losing connection, perhaps the contact blades burnt as in this example.

Other than that there's a possible failure in the main circuit board inside the unit, that's not repairable though.

I'm not clear on whether this is a permanent power loss or intermittent?

Last edited:

robelee

Pedelecer
May 11, 2009
Its not contact blades - I've swapped from Pro to Agattu and makes no difference. Battery flashes all LED's and then stops but placing battery on other bike, then OK and works fine.

Its good than I can compare to my Pro Connect. I asked my wife when she noticed power go off and it was when she bumped down a quite big kerb. The stiffness is the thing I suspect and that it might have damaged bearing and a connection in motor.

I might end up taking motor off my Pro (I don't use it much anymore) and fit to my wife's. Is it a fairly simple job to change? I'm fairly handy at most things mechanical.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I might end up taking motor off my Pro (I don't use it much anymore) and fit to my wife's. Is it a fairly simple job to change? I'm fairly handy at most things mechanical.
Yes a motor change is easy, just make sure the bolts attaching it to the frame are very tight. There are often electronic differences between models and production series so best change over the handlebar control unit as well.

The chain on the Agattu might not match well to the degree of motor sprocket wear on the Pro Connect unit, so swapping the motor sprockets will cure that if it occurs. Details on this link.

Last edited:
Reactions: robelee

robelee

Pedelecer
May 11, 2009
Many thanks Flecc, I came on this forum years back when we bought the two Kalkhoffs and I remember you being so helpful then, so nice to see you're still here and once again being a great source of information. Thank you again,

Rob

Last edited:
Reactions: flecc

Bearing Man

Trade Member
Oct 3, 2018
Hampshire
www.ebikemotorcentre.com
Hi Rob,
I have all the bearings for your motor here, I also have a brand new spare Panasonic motor if you need one? Just drop me an email if I can be of any help.

Pete.

Advertisers