Bosch Cx motor noise

Rustbucket

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 10, 2018
The motor in my Cube Hybrid 140 has become noisy, if I remove the chain the bearings feel notchy.
The noise is not excessive however you notice the difference when you compare it to my wife's bike.
I have returned it to the bike shop but they are a waste of space and know nothing about Bosch motors and are not trained. The shop stated " the Bosch rep has inspected the bike and states they get a bit noisy after a while" sounds like utter B******* to me.
Not the sort of service you expect after parting with £5000 oh and it's done 800 miles and is a year old, washed 4 times and never been near a jet wash.
Lets hope it fails before my warranty runs out.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I seem to be hearing this more often these days, not the issue but the response. It looks like all the smaller bike shops want to get on the ebike bandwaggon but dont have any support options in place to deal with problems, and some are using the "Cross that bridge when we get to it" aproach which isnt right.
I have always tried to support local busines but if you are goint to spend big bucks on an ebike then you have to consider carefully just where to spend them.

Rustbucket

Nov 10, 2018
I think I have made a mistake buying a bike with a Bosch motor they seem to have very poor quality bearings and do not seem to be sealed very well.
There seems to a large number of people suffering from water ingress and wrecked bearings.
If it gets worse looks like I may have to try the small claims court.

• Offensive Language
Reactions: Michael Frohock

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
nothing wrong with my motor bearings after 4 years with a dongle fitted but i do keep it clean and lubed with the bearing seal.

https://www.performancelinebearings.com/how-to/

as for the dealer they cant touch a bosch motor and only option is to send it back to bosch for replacement.

id ask the dealer why this is not a option as any 3rd party fix will void the warranty and 800 miles is well low but they do tend to go around the 6-1000 mile mark.

its only going to get worse so id get back at the dealer asap and get them to swap out the motor.

if they still refuse there is another option but you will have to pay for postage to Germany and back.

Reactions: Bearing Man

Rustbucket

Nov 10, 2018
The bike is still at the shop I haven't had time to pick it up, unfortunately they think it's fine so I have no option but to ride it until the bearings hopefully destroy themselves to the point where they can't deny there is a problem.
I very much doubt a Bosch rep has seen the bike!

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
they have not got a clue if there is any movement in those bearings the motor has to be replaced end off.

its not even hard to remove the motor its like a 10 min job if that but if you carry on riding it you can cause more damage to the drive chain sprockets and cassette.

id leave the bike there until the fix the problem.

Rustbucket

Nov 10, 2018
Hi Thanks,
No movement in the bearings yet just noise, but they won't do anything as they think there is nothing wrong with it! I have no option but to get it back and ride it till it gets worse.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the problem is they cant remove the motor cover so there is no real way to check the state of the bearings but making noise is not good in any bike let alone one with a motor.

it wont last till the warranty runs out if there is crap in the bearings as it will just grind them down to paste.

the noise would drive me nutz tbh.

Ballynoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2017
Perthshire Scotland
Tiso does Cube eBikes now, I would find a local Tiso and take it to them for a second opinion, might cost you a few quid but better than the twats you are dealing with at present.. just my little old opinion.

Rustbucket

Nov 10, 2018
Hi thanks,
I found a bike shop that is Bosch qualified I will take it there for their opinion . I need to get my bike back first, hopefully next week when I get time.
Its probably going to have to wait till next year

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
For any potential ebike buyer reading this and similar threads that might be having second thoughts..
The general consensus seems to be that Bosch motors are pretty good but do have the occasional problem as do other manufacturers... in fact as does everything, which i know isn't helpful if you have the duck egg!
so....
Before purchase ensure the dealer of your choice has experience of and able to deal with any warranty problems that might arise. A few choice questions will determine their expertise but it is becoming apparent that not every dealer has any (expertise) and if you feel that's the case then go elsewhere and if like the OP you are spending 5K they should be rolling out the red carpet and falling over themselves to get your business. As an example I have a bike on order and had the choice of 2 dealers.. 1@ 50 miles and 1@ 150 miles. I chose the later because I felt they would give me the best service.
To offer an opposite opinion to the OP. my Bosch classic (1st gen motor) failed after 4000 miles and was replaced by the dealer at cost price. My second Bosch bike had done 3000 miles and was still sweet when I sold it.
Noise wise my Bosch bike had a pleasing and noticable whine when working hard... I say pleasing cos I rather liked it.. one man's whine is another man's grind and it has yet to be determined what the OP's bike issue actually is, although I must admit that his dealer responses would leave me worried.
Another thing I have found by reading similar threads is that Bosch replaces failed motors without question and any time issues are likely down to an inexperienced dealer.
This is just my non technical ebike riding opinion...

Bearing Man

Trade Member
Oct 3, 2018
Hampshire
www.ebikemotorcentre.com
Every day I am working on these motors, not just Bosch but we now do Brose, Yamaha, Impulse, Panasonic etc. And they all generally suffer the same issues. Water taking out the bearings. One thing I can assure you all, the bearings themselves in all these motors, are all of excellent quality.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Every day I am working on these motors, not just Bosch but we now do Brose, Yamaha, Impulse, Panasonic etc. And they all generally suffer the same issues. Water taking out the bearings. One thing I can assure you all, the bearings themselves in all these motors, are all of excellent quality.
I will bookmark you my friend..

Reactions: Bearing Man

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Where are you approximately?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
The Bike Cabin
23 Ashford Close
Fordingbridge
Hampshire
SP6 1DH

Tell: 07484 729955

Bearing Man

Trade Member
Oct 3, 2018
Hampshire
www.ebikemotorcentre.com
I have the luxury of working from a big log cabin at the side of my house on the edge of the New Forest. Hence, The Bike Cabin :)
Kettle's always on ;)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
would a 6 ton shop press be enough force for most of the bearings diy?

Related Articles

Advertisers