Bosch Cx motor noise

Bearing Man

Trade Member
Oct 3, 2018
Hampshire
www.ebikemotorcentre.com
Just to prove most current motors are the same, these pictures are of an Impulse 2.0 motor sent in for repair last week.IMG_0733.JPG IMG_0748.JPG Impulse 2.jpg

Reactions: Ballynoes

Ballynoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2017
Perthshire Scotland
Yup, been banging on about how "waterproof" these motors are from the start. Mine is rated at IP44 which is no more than splash-proof at best.

I know people expect eBikes to be as reliable as normal bikes, but it's an expensive mistake when you have power washed the motor several times..... mind you I even saw a video of a guy power washing the dashboard of his manky works van, saying how clean it got...

There are just those people in life...

Rustbucket

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 10, 2018
I made a mistake I paid £4100 for the bike still expensive, just picked it up from the dealers only to be told the bearings are not covered by the warranty! didn't believe them so I have just rung Cube and guess what bearings are not covered even though it has only done 800 miles! They are classed as wear and tear items. Looks like it's time to quote the sale of goods act although I will have to put a few more miles on it to finish them off
I removed the chain and you can feel the bearing, it feels like it's running in grit

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
motor bearings or frame bearings ?

Ballynoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2017
Perthshire Scotland
Yikes that's a shocker.

That guys website is a good source of info.

He particularly has a bit about NOT changing the bearings when they grumble and just how much more damage can happen as a result. Watch the videos.

He quotes I think £65 for a bearing change, which I know is a pisser when still under warranty, but is it worth destroying the motor just to take on Cube...

Mine has done thousands of miles and soon out of warranty, no issues.

I might even consider sending him my motor every coupe of years to have the bearings renewed, and a good look inside.

Reactions: Bearing Man

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
if a motor fails within 2 years of warranty it should be replaced as dealers cant even open them up as there not serviceable buy them anyway lol.

plenty of ppl have had the same problem and had motors replaced no questions asked as thats why they have warranty in the first place.

cube dont make the motors bosch does and the dealer is just being a ass.

Reactions: Ballynoes

Ballynoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2017
Perthshire Scotland
What a state they are just not fit for purpose, well not in a wet country
I tend to agree Rustbucket, but if you read the motor info carefully it says they are rated IP 44, which is defined as

"Protection from entry by tools, wires etc, with a diameter of 2.5 mm or more" and "Protected against spray up to 60° from vertical."

in short no better than splash proof.

I tend to avoid storming through puddles or mud, sand and the likes... seen too many motors full of crud as a result.

The main thing to come out of all these posts I find is..... it depends on the dealer, if they want to help or just can be arsed, .......which is probably why these independent places set up in the first place.

Bearing Man

Trade Member
Oct 3, 2018
Hampshire
www.ebikemotorcentre.com
I made a mistake I paid £4100 for the bike still expensive, just picked it up from the dealers only to be told the bearings are not covered by the warranty! didn't believe them so I have just rung Cube and guess what bearings are not covered even though it has only done 800 miles! They are classed as wear and tear items. Looks like it's time to quote the sale of goods act although I will have to put a few more miles on it to finish them off
I removed the chain and you can feel the bearing, it feels like it's running in grit
If they are talking about the motor bearings then ask them for the bearings! And when they can't supply them they will have to change their tune!

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
It is good to see services coming available to keep crank drive motors going when you are out of the warranty period.

The dealer where i bought my bike (ebikeshop Farnham) is now offering a main bearing change on my Yamaha PU motor for £80 same day turn a round and now I also have The bearing man offering his own bearing services as well as a more comprehensive motor overhaul if required.

I am a high mileage commuter with over 10,000 miles on my 2015 Haibike hard tail, although the first motor was replaced under warranty at the two year point with 6000 miles on it free of charge by my dealer.

After the main bearing went on my first motor I am very careful when I wash my bike, only using a hosepipe at low pressure and keeping water away from the motor.

I have never used grease smeared around the bottom bracket/crank entry point to the motor and wonder if the bearing man recommends this on the Yamaha motor.

If so Is it best to use the silicone grease from the soundwave link or plain old vaseline.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
just had a look but he sells the same stuff as in the link or the more expensive bosch stuff but any grease will do as long as it stays there to cover the bearing seals.

i dont use that much tho lol ;)

Bearing Man

Trade Member
Oct 3, 2018
Hampshire
www.ebikemotorcentre.com
I have never used grease smeared around the bottom bracket/crank entry point to the motor and wonder if the bearing man recommends this on the Yamaha motor.

If so Is it best to use the silicone grease from the soundwave link or plain old vaseline.
Personally, I wouldn't bother on the Yamaha because the bearings are exposed unlike the Bosch motor where the bearings on the crank side are recessed. Water lies in this recess after washing or transporting and you can pack the grease.
One of the things I do before assembling any motor, is put a smear of silicone grease between the bearing and the motor housing. This stops water seeping into this area and then working its way into the bearing.
I would not recommend Vaseline as this is petroleum based and although water resistant, it's definitely not as water replant and durable as silicone.

Rustbucket

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 10, 2018
Thanks for all the responses, I've been away mountain biking in the Cairngorms with my wife, cold and wet!. My wife used her Cube Access,still going with no problems, half the cost of mine!. I didn't dare use mine for 10 days so I reverted to my old hard tail bike with a Rohloff hub its done thousands of miles in wet weather been abused, jet washed! and it's never given any bother and it's full of bearings. It only requires an oil change once a year and I have never found a trace of water in the oil.
I emailed Cube about my bearing problem but they have failed to respond to any of my emails, very poor service, I will not be purchasing any products from Cube in the future, even the dealer responded by stating there warranty service was poor, not good.
The annoying thing is my Cube has hardly been exposed to wet due to the fantastic summer.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
its not cubes warranty problem its bosch as it is there motor.

the dealer needs to remove it and send it back for replacement as there not allowed to touch them in warranty.

Bearing Man

Trade Member
Oct 3, 2018
Hampshire
www.ebikemotorcentre.com
This is madness! How can there be so much difference between dealers? How can they go directly against your consumer rights?
As for Rustbucket, If it's just a main motor bearing on your bike? I can usually change one without leaving any witness marks ;)

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Bikes have many components from different manufacturers and bike shops send the relevant bits to where they need to go for warrsnty work. This is nothing new so why is it so difficult for some of them to do the same with the motors?

bikey850

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2016
UK
What is the grease in the official Bosch kit? "Ebike Drive Unit Grease" it says on the the tube.

Is it really just regular silicon grease?

Related Articles

Advertisers