Traction problem with Big Bear

Marwood Hill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 28, 2016
North Devon
See you've sold it! That's unexpected after all that work, hope you're not unwell. Not enough power?
Thanks for asking. I have had to go back to driving a small car and carrying a tiny folder in the boot to get me to places where motor vehicles are not permitted. I did put Big Bear up for sale but unfortunately while it was listed, the motor changeover switch broke. Very annoying as it was a heavy duty 9 pin generator switch which cost me £25 but only worked a few times. So, i have now got my BB in bits and i am returning it to its original form. But it will be a rear wheel drive with Dutch style handlebars. It will be a very nice bike when i’ve done.

Marwood Hill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 28, 2016
North Devon
This is it! Now converted to rear wheel drive only and decluttered. It handles and rides beautifully. I doubt i will offer it for sale again. It’s still only done 580 miles. I keep my little Kwikfold Xite-3 permanently in my car. Works out great.3145B797-1A51-42BB-898E-19B4EAA57259.jpeg

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Marwood remove the unused 4.4kg front hub motor and it will be even better yet.

Marwood Hill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 28, 2016
North Devon
Marwood remove the unused 4.4kg front hub motor and it will be even better yet.
Thanks for the tip. I have considered doing this but the weight on the front stops me from pulling wheelies. I like to sit well back over the back wheel.
And, i’ve turned the hanlebar stem around so it’s nearer the back.

• Agree
Reactions: Nealh

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Fair enough in that case the ballast will counter.

Reactions: Marwood Hill

Marwood Hill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 28, 2016
North Devon
Anyhow, tell us, how was your all wheel drive beastie while it lasted?
Not all wheel drive. That would not be road legal. It was either front or rear and switchable. But i never used front wheel drive after fitting a rear wheel motor. The difference in traction, handling and ride is anazing. I would always recommend rear or crank drive.

Advertisers