Brexit, for once some facts.

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
Those who are bored with brexit.there are many of those,should vote Remain because any other vote will keep this going for many years.
Does anyone know what the hard line Tory Brexiteers have over the PM,she seems frightened to go against the ERG....there are only 50 of them,hardly a majority of the Tory party. It is that group who are stopping us going for a sensible soft Brexit.
Major called them the bastards,Cameron called the referendum to try to neutralise them and now May seems frightened of them.
KudosDave
It seems she's got a military idea of duty - very kamikaze - and she's beholden more directly to the 1922 Committee (Brexiteers) who she meets up with every week.

Seems even though she says she wants to get a compromise to get out of impasse in reality she's cloth eared to any alternative i.e. referundum , delaying or revoking article 50 etc. - she's keeping a grip on the steering wheel and staring straight ahead to the cliff edge muttering "I believe it would be wrong to overturn the referendum result." as the world around her crumbles and the road runs out . A hard brexit will please the hardcore Brexiteers as it will be job done - amzingly done with their numbers but with immense leverage.

Brexit: France activates no-deal plan > https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-46906046

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
And you know full well it works other way if you are selling stuff.. Besides pound has been over valued for a goid few years. Look at costs abroad. Diesel, petrol, food etc is more or less same cost now. For years stuff (especially fuel) has bern cheaper for brits abroad than at home. Thats never made sense. Its around parity now..
And the devaluation was not a direct result of Brexit (it still hasnt happened)
Zathlan, I am not prepared to believe that you are that stupid . Virtually all currency fluctuations in sterling since Brexit was mooted are Brexit related. Even the slight upturn yesterday was on the belief that a different deal might be done. Please don't take my word for it, look at the time sequence between pronouncements and movement of sterling. Once is random, twice coincidence, but as events and has events have cascaded over the 30 plus months, we have a near perfect correlation.

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
Zathlan, I am not prepared to believe that you are that stupid . Virtually all currency fluctuations in sterling since Brexit was mooted are Brexit related. Even the slight upturn yesterday was on the belief that a different deal might be done. Please don't take my word for it, look at the time sequence between pronouncements and movement of sterling. Once is random, twice coincidence, but as events and has events have cascaded over the 30 plus months, we have a near perfect correlation.

Things are bad when you start arguing with facts - it was worse back in June 2011

FACT

and i might add better previous to that June date

• Disagree
Reactions: robdon

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Things are bad when you start arguing with facts - it was worse back in June 2011

FACT

and i might add better previous to that June date
you are surely not suggesting we should return to 2011?

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Right. The thing the EU are MOST scared about - he wants to publicly take that off the table. The man HAS NO CLUE. Really. He is an utter idiot.
Which part of the current reality have you a difficulty with?. The current legal position is a WTO crash out Brexit... Congratulations you have won. ,So there is no value in debating or negotiating about that. It is done,it is achieved .All you need do is put you hands over your ears and ignore the range of complaints from Hospitals, Business, manufacturers ,insurance companies etc...all those complaint's will in time disappear.
So there is absolutely no point in putting your WTO in play for any negotiations. It is only if you want something else a trade deal perhaps, access to a market of 450 million of the richest consumers on earth ,15 miles away, perhaps.
Oh Sorry you had that fully as a full member of the EU.
Or maybe a less ambitious one,where you had more limited access ..of course not, you voted it down.
Oh you are now out of options ,but that don't matter , you won.

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
Which part of the current reality have you a difficulty with?. The current legal position is a WTO crash out Brexit... Congratulations you have won. ,So there is no value in debating or negotiating about that. It is done,it is achieved .All you need do is put you hands over your ears and ignore the range of complaints from Hospitals, Business, manufacturers ,insurance companies etc...all those complaint's will in time disappear.
So there is absolutely no point in putting your WTO in play for any negotiations. It is only if you want something else a trade deal perhaps, access to a market of 450 million of the richest consumers on earth ,15 miles away, perhaps.
Oh Sorry you had that fully as a full member of the EU.
Or maybe a less ambitious one,where you had more limited access ..of course not, you voted it down.
Oh you are now out of options ,but that don't matter , you won.

WTO rules stipulate free trade for 2 years on everything once we start it.

That’s two years to sort out a deal to suit everyone.

Ireland will be on the blower first.

Reactions: tommie

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
I remember world war 3 too.

A run on the pound. Millions more in unemployment.

An emergency budget. The world collapsing etc.

Except none of it happened.

Lies and project fear.
That woman is a walking lie. Tim Worstall wrote an entire book dedicated to pointing out her falsehoods.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I may be wrong but I seem to remember everything rising in price when we joined the eu
No it was just before that, there was exploitative inflation when we decimalised our currency and the two have become blurred together over time. We had our own traders to blame for that.

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
James, one Pound bought $1.40, 1.27 Euros the month before the referendum, it now buys $1.28 or 1.13 Euros. I know how much brexit has cost me.
The resulting inflation from the referendum added 6% to inflation.
It's not rocket science.
Two things:

1) So what? It was never about the money. Not for me anyway.

2) Go back a few years and you will find the pound trading at those post June 16 prices. The currency market traders had been buying sterling WAY above what it was worth. It needed to come down.

Reactions: Zlatan and Fingers

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
Not so, I've posted at least twice I would accept that without protest, even if it was only 51/49 to Leave.

This time it would be based on far more knowledge and lies disregarded as a result of the last experience and the outcome.
ref results will only ever be accepted if they give the result the ruling powers want. They didn't get that this time, hence all the problems

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
Not so, I've posted at least twice I would accept that without protest, even if it was only 51/49 to Leave.

This time it would be based on far more knowledge and lies disregarded as a result of the last experience and the outcome.

That’s very gracious of you,

Advertisers