Brexit, for once some facts.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Why drug shortages now all of a sudden? how very odd.
A very simple thought-experiment regarding the publicly acknowledged medicine stockpiling (which is entirely due to brexit) demonstrates that if you take six weeks of supply out of circulation to put into storage, you will have a shortage. That some pharmaceutical companies consider six weeks supply inadequate and are, therefore, stockpiling rather more, simply enhances that.

Some medicines are manufactured at only a few scheduled times - for two I know of, evidence suggests once a year. You can't simply ramp up production and make a few more to put to one side.

Having been involved in medicines from the point of view of patients for over ten years, I have seen problems come and go. I have never seen so many people having problems getting hold of the medicines they need. And that applies particularly to one of the most commonly prescribed long-term medicines - levothyroxine - for which demand is far easier to estimate than many others.

Certainly I acknowledge that other factors also affect supply. At this moment, I'd put brexit right up as the single most important factor.

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
A very simple thought-experiment regarding the publicly acknowledged medicine stockpiling (which is entirely due to brexit) demonstrates that if you take six weeks of supply out of circulation to put into storage, you will have a shortage.
According to someone on 1pm news it is nothing to do with Brexit and has been happening for the last 10 years. But I suppose Brexit is an easy fall guy for whatever goes wrong. Project fear is getting boring

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
According to someone on 1pm news it is nothing to do with Brexit and has been happening for the last 10 years. But I suppose Brexit is an easy fall guy for whatever goes wrong. Project fear is getting boring
Much more likely among leave voters it is unpopular to accept the truth and deny Brexit is causing a problem, as people like you prefer things that way?
The truth has always been the mortal enemy of the leave campaign.

Easy to con people who really don't want to be faced with unwelcome facts.
Your version of "Project tell me lies, tell me sweet little lies" is what is getting pathetic.

• Agree
Reactions: POLLY and robdon

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Project fear is a lie.,the name,the unreasoning frission it is supposed to engender are all lies. Lies are ultimately boring ,so yes I agree Project fear is boring.
However shortages of many goods is not an unreasonable doubt, and stockpiling by definition creates short term shortages, and longer term waste, and lost profitability with assets tied up in inventory. ... This is business 101, not high finance.
If you have plenty of money you can buy anything,it may not have be ethical,but you can buy anything. Real shortages arise when an unexpected demand arises and the means of production lag.
So when anyone complains about shortages ,ask yourself what is the cause.

• Agree
Reactions: oyster and robdon

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
Project fear is a lie.,the name,the unreasoning frission it is supposed to engender are all lies. Lies are ultimately boring ,so yes I agree Project fear is boring.
However shortages of many goods is not an unreasonable doubt, and stockpiling by definition creates short term shortages, and longer term waste, and lost profitability with assets tied up in inventory. ... This is business 101, not high finance.
If you have plenty of money you can buy anything,it may not have be ethical,but you can buy anything. Real shortages arise when an unexpected demand arises and the means of production lag.
So when anyone complains about shortages ,ask yourself what is the cause.
if people are stockpiling it is because they are being told that there are going to be shortages therefore it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy

Reactions: Zlatan

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
if people are stockpiling it is because they are being told that there are going to be shortages therefore it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy
Bear in mind it is the government which ordered stockpiling of six weeks supply of medicines. Not the patients.

Most of us have our access to medicines controlled by the prescription system so do not really have the option of stockpiling.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and Wicky

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Here's why the people should never have been granted a referendum on this issue.

I've been listening to a number of Nissan Workers on radio still stubbornly sticking to their Leave vote preference.

How can that be?

Their life in that area was terrible with massive unemployment and really severe deprivation before the EU heavily subsidised Nissan to go there. That of course is why the EU put in the money and why the area is now so much more prosperous. Next year the EU had planned to put a further £423 million into that area.

It really is turkeys voting for Christmas.

Worst of all was the man who said, "When I voted to leave I expected to be out of the EU in three days".

How can he be so lacking in knowledge and commonsense?

• Agree
Reactions: robdon

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
yes, lets not believe experts, or people who work in imports/exports. after all, there's no such thing as facts. and anyway our fantasies have the same validity as anything out there. just thinking something (like, say, "a hard Brexit will be fine") makes it true.

• Disagree
  • Agree
Reactions: robdon and gray198

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
I had never listened to Gove speak prior to watching that link, so thanks for posting.

You can't deny that he is an excellent communicator and he tore Corbyn to apart. When the camera panned across the Labour benches, I thought, "What the hell has happened to Labour? The party membership has been obliterated and replaced characters suited only to cleaning toilets." That Labour woman who was wailing like a banshee needs to learn some basic manners and conduct before she is allowed out in public. What a disgrace.

I view Gove in a new light. A very impressive orator cable of conducting himself with dignity.

Thanks for posting.
Gove was positioning himself to be the next Tory PM,appearing to support TM,he embarassed her,but it wasnt a speech of national unity,who knows which way he would jump if he gets the PM's job.
He is a good orator and plain speaker then so was Hitler. I dont like Gove and certainly dont trust him...dont forget how he stabbed Boris in the back at the leadership contest.

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
Here's why the people should never have been granted a referendum on this issue.

I've been listening to a number of Nissan Workers on radio still stubbornly sticking to their Leave vote preference.

How can that be?

Their life in that area was terrible with massive unemployment and really severe deprivation before the EU heavily subsidised Nissan to go there. That of course is why the EU put in the money and why the area is now so much more prosperous. Next year the EU had planned to put a further £423 million into that area.

It really is turkeys voting for Christmas.

Worst of all was the man who said, "When I voted to leave I expected to be out of the EU in three days".

How can he be so lacking in k nowledge and commonsense?
yes, however, it makes me feel less sorry for them for being about to lose their jobs. ultimately no one can protect us from ourselves.

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
Aren`t we all as Ebikers so so glad to be members of that EU paradise ... :rolleyes:

The European Commission will vote on whether e-bike riders should have car-style compulsory third-party insurance on the 22nd January

The European Commission will vote on whether e-bike riders should have mandatory third-party vehicle insurance on the 22nd January - and if the law is passed it could have a hugely negative effect on the usage and sales of e-bikes, say the European Cyclists Federation (link is external).

The European e-bike market could suffer “substantial damage” according to the ECF, and they are calling for help from the public in assuring the EU Motor Insurance Directive won't apply to e-bikes: “We will need your help to convince Parliamentarians to scrap mandatory insurance for EPACs (e-bikes)”, stated the Federation.

https://ebiketips.road.cc/content/news/eu-to-vote-on-mandatory-e-bike-insurance-1775?fbclid=IwAR2_NOHmoRaGw2sZU7hj-rGZrV5xr45QNaqX_QpxyA3ygL5g-Uf895-slQ4

PS. hey Dan you got a quote yet for the Motus??
and will you have to display plates as it seems to indicate? "mandatory third-party vehicle insurance on the 22nd January"

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Fingers

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Which part of the current reality have you a difficulty with?. The current legal position is a WTO crash out Brexit... Congratulations you have won. ,So there is no value in debating or negotiating about that. It is done,it is achieved .All you need do is put you hands over your ears and ignore the range of complaints from Hospitals, Business, manufacturers ,insurance companies etc...all those complaint's will in time disappear.
So there is absolutely no point in putting your WTO in play for any negotiations. It is only if you want something else a trade deal perhaps, access to a market of 450 million of the richest consumers on earth ,15 miles away, perhaps.
Oh Sorry you had that fully as a full member of the EU.
Or maybe a less ambitious one,where you had more limited access ..of course not, you voted it down.
Oh you are now out of options ,but that don't matter , you won.
Rees-Mogg and IDS say that trading on WTO wont be that bad ,just a few short term blips...try telling that to the guy in Bristol,who employs 85 people selling extreme sports accessories/clothing,his WTO tariff into the EU will be 14%,he only makes 15% profit. I believe he is going to have to relocate to Germany and reduce his UK business to only satisfy the UK.
There must be thousands of businesses in the same position...dont forget you can ship from Asia to Rotterdam just as easily as Felixstowe.
My own business is lucky,average 2.7% tariff but why did farmers vote for brexit with 40% tariff,why did Nissan workers vote Brexit with 10% tariff?????

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and flecc

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Leave did not resort to electoral fraud did they?
And there's no way you can deny that.
The balance of lying if far greater on the leave side, if it wasn't, why have things turned out they way they have? All their promises failed to materialise.

Are you denying the truth of that FT report I pasted?
Liam Fox had vowed to replicate the EU existing trade deals before we left the bloc.
Tell me which of the remain lies actually have proved as damaging to the nation?
Votes for leave were gained on lies like that.

Sorry but the leave side is the one that has to get it's act together where truthfulness is concerned.
The public deserve to be warned about these charlatans
I posted timely reminders of what they did and will probably try again as a warning.
You call it crap, and yet is was used publicly remember?
Nobody who voted leave side seemed to object then.
"It is this sort of rubbish posted by you and the BBC which makes it very hard to filter out the true position.
I didn't post this originally leave did
Was it ever worked out where Aaron Banks £6million came from??

• Agree

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Aren`t we all as Ebikers so so glad to be members of that EU paradise ... :rolleyes:

The European Commission will vote on whether e-bike riders should have car-style compulsory third-party insurance on the 22nd January

The European Commission will vote on whether e-bike riders should have mandatory third-party vehicle insurance on the 22nd January - and if the law is passed it could have a hugely negative effect on the usage and sales of e-bikes, say the European Cyclists Federation (link is external).

The European e-bike market could suffer “substantial damage” according to the ECF, and they are calling for help from the public in assuring the EU Motor Insurance Directive won't apply to e-bikes: “We will need your help to convince Parliamentarians to scrap mandatory insurance for EPACs (e-bikes)”, stated the Federation.

https://ebiketips.road.cc/content/news/eu-to-vote-on-mandatory-e-bike-insurance-1775?fbclid=IwAR2_NOHmoRaGw2sZU7hj-rGZrV5xr45QNaqX_QpxyA3ygL5g-Uf895-slQ4
Your project fear again Tommie. You've previously posted about this and been shown why it will never happen.

As you've already been told, the Commission cannot pass into law any measure whatsoever, they can only recommend. This measure will be dismissed by member countries without any consideration.

• Agree

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
Rees-Mogg and IDS say that trading on WTO wont be that bad ,just a few short term blips...try telling that to the guy in Bristol,who employs 85 people selling extreme sports accessories/clothing,his WTO tariff into the EU will be 14%,he only makes 15% profit. I believe he is going to have to relocate to Germany and reduce his UK business to only satisfy the UK.
There must be thousands of businesses in the same position...dont forget you can ship from Asia to Rotterdam just as easily as Felixstowe.
My own business is lucky,average 2.7% tariff but why did farmers vote for brexit with 40% tariff,why did Nissan workers vote Brexit with 10% tariff?????

That bloke is always moaning. He's been leaving for Germany for about 2 years now.

Last piece I saw on him he had already acquired premises over there. He's very good at getting free publicity from gullible local journos. He must have had 50 odd articles about his **** overpriced tat.

Reactions: Zlatan

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Your project fear again Tommie. You've previously posted about this and been shown why it will never happen.

As you've already been told, the Commission cannot pass into law any measure whatsoever, they can only recommend. This measure will be dismissed by member countries without any consideration.
Well lets see.. Germany into recession, no money from UK, ...well Michel here`s a nice little earner :)

"The committee decision is not the final decision of Parliament, but usually committee decisions are supported by all the political groups when it comes to a full vote. So this decision now is the most important step in getting this EU Commission recommendation over-ruled in Parliament.”

Squeaky bum time for the poor EU ebikers o_O

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
"The committee decision is not the final decision of Parliament, but usually committee decisions are supported by all the political groups when it comes to a full vote. So this decision now is the most important step in getting this EU Commission recommendation over-ruled in Parliament.”
Again silly scaremongering and NOT TRUE. Committee decisions are regularly dismissed by the Parliament. For example, the Commission has tried hard to introduce compulsory cycle helmets EU wide and been overwhelmingly defeated by the European Parliament. And tried again for e-bikes and defeated again. Ditto trying to ban open face m/c helmets.

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Looking ominous... very 50/50

https://www.bike-eu.com/laws-regulations/nieuws/2019/01/help-needed-to-prevent-mandatory-e-bike-insurance-10135121

BRUSSELS, Belgium – Yesterday, the European Cyclists Federation (ECF) issued an emergency call to all stakeholders as a mandatory insurance on all e-bike types still looms. The ECF call says “Despite the hard work of ECF and its partners in the bicycle industry to make sure that they are excluded from the EU Motor Insurance Directive, the European Commission’s proposal includes this obligation. This has the potential to inflict substantial damage on the development of the European e-bike market.“

Will all e-bikes need to have an insurance plate soon? ECF issued an emergency call to all stakeholders to prevent this.

The ECF notes that on 22 January a decisive vote will take place in the European Parliament. “We will need your help to convince Parliamentarians to scrap mandatory insurance for EPACs (e-bikes)”, states the Federation.
The ECF lists these latest e-bike developments:

• Despite our lobby efforts the European Commission decided to include EPACs in the legislative proposal. If it stands, this would mean that all pedelecs/EPACs would have to have mandatory motor vehicle insurance.

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
Gove was positioning himself to be the next Tory PM,appearing to support TM,he embarassed her,but it wasnt a speech of national unity,who knows which way he would jump if he gets the PM's job.
He is a good orator and plain speaker then so was Hitler. I dont like Gove and certainly dont trust him...dont forget how he stabbed Boris in the back at the leadership contest.
While on about comapring Gove & Hitler - Gove would have an interesting meeting with the Queen (or Charlie) in the event if he became PM after he made this archive video...

• Dislike
Reactions: gray198

Advertisers