Sep 3, 2017
West Yorkshire
  • Informative
Reactions: Andy Bluenoes

grahamx

Pedelecer
Dec 18, 2017
uk
Hows the original battery pack bearing up after use. I've noticed recently that my oxygen s-cross was charging to 42v but gradually the max has been dropping to 41.7 over the summer/autumn period. Bike has 500 miles on it but only clocked up 30 miles in its first year before my ownership late 2017 gets used once or twice a week now.

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Ive done 6000 odd miles on it now, not noticed any deterioration in the battery. For the most part of that, it was getting heavily used, charged twice a day 4 or 5 times a week.
Its always read 41.7 volts on the biked fully charged.
Only getting charged daily now as Im only doing around 13 miles a day

Reactions: grahamx

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
6300 miles clocked up now, still running sweet.

The current chain and cassette have done a fair few miles, I’ve got replacements waiting to go on, but despite the chain being overstretched it’s still working fine, so going to wait until it starts playing up.

After doing the headset bearings, I’m thinking it might be a good time to look at the bottom bearings...the crank?.....not sure of the technical term...

I am getting a slight clicking sound from that area when pedalling...gets loader the harder I pedal. I’ve changed the pedals recently, so it’s not them.

Not sure what’s involved in this job or if any special tools are needed to get the crank off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Ive had the Oxygen for around 20 months now, and very close to 7000 miles.
Pretty amazing really when you compare it to others which I had before which struggled to get to 1000....thankfuly they seem like distant memories now.

Dont regret buying the oxygen at all, and wish I had known about it earlier and saved myself a few quid!

Everything running as smooth as clockwork on it now. I am doing around a 3rd of the mileage sinnce I changed jobs, but still probably most than the regular user, and its holding up well in all weathers.

Had the spiked tyres on for a couple of months now, wouldnt ride without them in the coldest weathers as the cycle paths I use arent treated and quite dangerous at this time of year.

Had a slight issue wit the pedal sensor last week, where it would internittently cut out. Traced it back to the sensor easily enough. Spent a week or so using the throttle to help me along when it played up, so no major drama...so happy that I asked for the throttle now :)

New sensor arrived from Dale at Oxygen last week, finally got round to fitting it this morning.

Hardest part was working out how to remove the pedal bar (or whatever its called) without skinning my knuckles....which of course I did before I found the simpe way to do it.

5 minutes later and the old one was off and the new one on, and everything working as it should.

Still have a new chain and cassette to go on, which I bought a while ago, but there doesnt seem much point changing it yet as no issues.

Thanks again t Dale at Oxygen for the quick despatch of the sensor, and the help.

As i have said before, cant recommend the Oxygen enough. Cracking bikes.

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
I enjoy reading these ongoing reviews, especially those that cover big miles day in day out, thanks for the update Andy

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
I enjoy reading these ongoing reviews, especially those that cover big miles day in day out, thanks for the update Andy
Thanks egroover

Hard to know what to update with these days as it runs so smoothly...dont want it to look like im only posting when there is a small problem, as it doesnt really reflect on the bike.

Hopefully when this horrible winter is gone, Ill be doing a few more miles at the weekend going on droning adventures and I can put some of that up here :)

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Finally had a spare weekend, so took the bike out for a very rare pleasure ride!
Took my drone with me, but was a little bit windy to fly, so turned into more of a reconaissance mission for a future ride.
Went round some really nice areas where Ive not been before, and found some great flying places for the future. Places where you just couldnt get to easily by car.

Did around 17 miles all in, running the bike slightly at lower power than I usually do. Carried me at around 85 kg, plus my pannier bags full of kit, and wearing ice tyres....managed the distance well, with around 30% battery power left when I got home.

Such a nice change to the regular commute :)

Nice big hand warmers :)

IMG_20190216_122536.jpg

IMG_20190216_122015.jpg

Added a small extension bar to the handlebars for extra bits and bobs
IMG_20190216_122529.jpg

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Cant believe Ive not updated this thread for so long!

Well, today was the 2nd anniversary of me buying the Oxygen, definitely the best choice of e-bike I have ever made. And I made quite a few mistakes along the way before getting to this point.

I have now clocked 7800 miles. The other bikes I bought would never have got anywhere near that figure before falling apart...and one or two did!

No problems at all to report, as I did say before my mileage has dropped a bit due tio changing jobs, but still averaging about 15 a day. Good thing about that is I enjoy going out on the bike more not for jsut commuting.

The only comment I can make is the battery capacity has fallen a bit now, I would estimate about 25% less than when new, but that's to be expected on any ebike, especially when you consider how high I run it.

So, all in all, very pleased with it as always, and highly recommend it.
Happy to answer any questions, sometimes it might take me awhile to answer though.

grahamx

Pedelecer
Dec 18, 2017
uk
Congrats and thanks for these updates

Great too see the Oxygen is till holding up well. I am still very much enjoying mine without issues.

Note your gradual loss of battery capacity. What voltage are you able to charge up to? My 2016 model 700 mile (samsung batteries) was charging to 42v but over the last year I am seeing a gradual loss of capacity .....charging to 40.8V.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
40.8v could mean the battery isn't balanced, cells that loose capacity should be able to hold full voltage. Though when a current is applied voltage drops quickly.

grahamx

Pedelecer
Dec 18, 2017
uk
40.8v could mean the battery isn't balanced, cells that loose capacity should be able to hold full voltage. Though when a current is applied voltage drops quickly.
Thanks @Nealh appreciate the advice. This pack has had a replacement bms. Pack was charging to 42v but has gradually lowered after each chargeto 40.8v over the last 12 months.

I guess its worth opening up the pack & disconnecting / reconnecting bms too see if that resets the issue?

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
The battery is still charging nicely to 41.5 volts, it just doesnt seem to last as many miles as before...maybe its placebo effect as Im getting older then :)

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Thanks @Nealh appreciate the advice. This pack has had a replacement bms. Pack was charging to 42v but has gradually lowered after each chargeto 40.8v over the last 12 months.

I guess its worth opening up the pack & disconnecting / reconnecting bms too see if that resets the issue?
Some BMSs take their power from only one cell, so they go out of balance if you don't use them much. you can't reset it. you have to rebalance manually. The first stage is to check is pull the multi-pin connector out of the BMS and check the cell voltages on it.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH

If opening the pack it is worth checking the 10 cell group voltages to see how they fair. If balance is out then you can even them up and then see if the BMS and pack behaves better.

Oxygen Electric Bikes

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 19, 2018
Hi Andy,

What a fantastic independent review of our S-Cross MTB. And some credit has to go to you as maintenance plays a big part in keeping the bike on the road.
Please keep us updated when ever you can.
Thanks
Dale

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Next Wednesday I have a training course for work in Manchester City Centre, not far from where I used to cycle to daily, so will be doing that on the Oxygen.. This will be a good test of the battery as my current commute is about 7 miles, where that old run was just under 19.. looking forward to the ride more than the course :)

Related Articles

Advertisers