Help! Raleigh strada ?? E6000 + Di2 ?

mark_north

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 6, 2019
Hi everyone
I’m thinking of buying a raleigh strada comp 2018 from halfords for £1750 (reduced from 2500)...its a hybrid bike with shimano e6000 plus di2 shifter.
It appeals because it looks pretty light (19kg), and because it has carbon forks...which can sometimes(!) be better than cheap metal coil forks.

I’ll be using it for commuting to work - 5 miles each way up hills, along cobbled streets and through potholes in which small children have been known to disappear.

Does anyone have a raleigh strada e-bike and able to give me their honest opinion ?
Or perhaps uses the shimano E6000 plus Di2 on another bike and can give me their view on its reliability ?

I will likely haggle Halfords on price as I noticed that JEjames has the 2017 version for only 1250 (and the only difference seems to be the tyres (which transitioned from 29inch to 27.5 in the newer release). I’ll see how far i get on that front....

Halfords is my local bike store so i don’t feel too bad about buying from the chain, and the staff who work there are really nice and couldnt be more helpful.

Poolepete

Pedelecer
Aug 14, 2018
Poole
Hi, I have no experience of the Strada so not going to be much use to you. Have you read any reviews such as the one on EbikeTips? Most importantly, why not take one out on a test ride and see if you like it and matches the comfort levels you need?

I have a Raleigh (Motus Grand Tour), and that most certainly has been giving me epic service. I went for that as having had a Specialized hybrid (non ebike) before, I needed something more sit up and beg (bad back).

Good luck with the hunt!

mark_north

Feb 6, 2019
Hi, I have no experience of the Strada so not going to be much use to you. Have you read any reviews such as the one on EbikeTips? Most importantly, why not take one out on a test ride and see if you like it and matches the comfort levels you need?

I have a Raleigh (Motus Grand Tour), and that most certainly has been giving me epic service. I went for that as having had a Specialized hybrid (non ebike) before, I needed something more sit up and beg (bad back).

Good luck with the hunt!

Thanks for the link, i hadnt looked at that site before, looks v useful.

Also, really positive to know you’ve had a good experiencewith the motus....i had looked at that bike as well, and it seems an incredibly well-specced bike - i really like the fact that it has a rear rack and uses the active line plus (which is fantastic).
The only downside to the bike is the weight: 25kg. I live in a flat and getting up and down the stairs would be a bit of a mare. If it wasnt for that, i’d be buying one ;-)

boyabouttown

Pedelecer
Oct 3, 2016
sheffield
Been looking at the strada e in je james for a while now. Was 2500 first time i considered it, keeps coming down in price every time i go in. For £1250 the spec is hard to beat. It is up against the cube acid and the orbea gain for me and to be honest it is just the looks that is stopping me from buying it, with the newer bikes looking more integrated. Although i think the e looks better than the comp, not much help to you i know.

mark_north

Feb 6, 2019
Been looking at the strada e in je james for a while now. Was 2500 first time i considered it, keeps coming down in price every time i go in. For £1250 the spec is hard to beat. It is up against the cube acid and the orbea gain for me and to be honest it is just the looks that is stopping me from buying it, with the newer bikes looking more integrated. Although i think the e looks better than the comp, not much help to you i know.
Cool, good to know there’s someone else struggling through the same decision process ;-)

The other thing which has been putting me off the Strada is the fact that it is Shimano E6000, which apparently is louder than the bosch active line plus. I’ll be honest, i hated the Bosch CX for that very reason.
I’m going to see if my local shop has a bike with the E6000 so i can check out the noise factor for myself (some people say its quiet, others say its noisy as anything), and compare against the Active Line Plus.

bbqforce10

Pedelecer
Mar 23, 2017
devon
I'm going through a similar dilema.
I test rode the 2017 Strada Elite a while ago and liked it. Di2 shifitng and Alfine hub was very nice. I found it quite a sporty riding position.
I'm looking for a bike for a 15 mile each way commute and some of it is on fairly rough county lanes (lots of potholes!) and cycle trails. Because of this I am edging towards a bike with a front suspension fork for a bit more comfort.
I test rode the Carrera Crossfuse and like the Bosch Active Line Plus motor (found the Crossfuse styling a bit boring though and want to be able to fit a bottle cage).
I am very tempted by the Cube Acid models, they are a similar price.
I also test road a Cube Reaction and have to say I loved the extra power of the CX motor.... it was more noisy, but I'm now tempted thinking it will also be great for some weekend off road fun.
So I'm currently weighing up between the Cube Acid and Reaction.

mark_north

Feb 6, 2019
I'm going through a similar dilema.
I test rode the 2017 Strada Elite a while ago and liked it. Di2 shifitng and Alfine hub was very nice. I found it quite a sporty riding position.
I'm looking for a bike for a 15 mile each way commute and some of it is on fairly rough county lanes (lots of potholes!) and cycle trails. Because of this I am edging towards a bike with a front suspension fork for a bit more comfort.
I test rode the Carrera Crossfuse and like the Bosch Active Line Plus motor (found the Crossfuse styling a bit boring though and want to be able to fit a bottle cage).
I am very tempted by the Cube Acid models, they are a similar price.
I also test road a Cube Reaction and have to say I loved the extra power of the CX motor.... it was more noisy, but I'm now tempted thinking it will also be great for some weekend off road fun.
So I'm currently weighing up between the Cube Acid and Reaction.
Yea, i tried the Crossfuse and while it was really good value (£1280), i didnt like the way i could feel every little lump and bump in the road. I dunno if it was the frame, or the forks, or the use of 700, but overall i didnt find it a good ride.
Yea, the Cube Reaction is fun, but i hated the noise. If i could get a Reaction with active line plus rather than CX, i’d likely buy it.
I am now thinking of the Trek Dual Sport +.
The frame size was perfect for me, it felt good, it has Active Line Plus, it has lights built in,...but i think its overpriced. Hoping i can get a dealer who will negotiate on price.

bbqforce10

Pedelecer
Mar 23, 2017
devon
The Trek Dual Sport + does look nice, but I agree it seems a little overpriced. The Cube Cross and Cube Touring are also worth a look if you are considering hybrids. Both have the Active Line Plus motor and seem to be good value (if that can be said about a £2000 bike!)
I'm finding it a frustrating process trying to chose a bike....such a major purchase and I it is hard to find a store near me with a decent selection of bikes to actually test ride.

mark_north

Feb 6, 2019
The Trek Dual Sport + does look nice, but I agree it seems a little overpriced. The Cube Cross and Cube Touring are also worth a look if you are considering hybrids. Both have the Active Line Plus motor and seem to be good value (if that can be said about a £2000 bike!)
I'm finding it a frustrating process trying to chose a bike....such a major purchase and I it is hard to find a store near me with a decent selection of bikes to actually test ride.
Yea I have found it pretty much impossible to try any cube bike other than the reaction. It’s really frustrating as on paper they seem good but no one is going to lay down two grand on a bike they ain’t tested.