Just collected my Cube, metal filings everywhere....what should I do?

bbqforce10

Pedelecer
Mar 23, 2017
devon
I've just picked up my new bike this week from Evans Cycles, its an ex demo 2018 Cube Reaction Hybrid Pro Race.
It has only done 50 miles and in very good condition with just a couple of little marks here and there.
There was a problem with the purion display (failed pixels and illegible) so Evans sent it off to Bosch for a new replacement before I could collect the bike. They have received and fitted it and I was finally able to collect the bike this week.
The concerning thing is there were lots of metal filings visible around the battery compartment. I hoovered them out as much as possible.
around battery connector.jpg
lock area.jpg

Looking at the pictures of the bike on the Evans website, there was a sticker saying no keys, so I suspect that they have drilled the battery lock and fitted a new one.
What is alarming is they haven't cleaned up the metal filings very well at all.
I have just removed the crank and the plastic cover from the motor and there are a lot of metal filings all around the crank and inside the plastic casing.
crank before removing cover.jpg
around crank.jpg
inside plastic motor cover.jpg
I'm pretty alarmed by all these metal filings everywhere.
I can try and clean them all up.
How likely are they to do any real damage and get into the workings of the motor?

I can still reject the bike and take it back to Evans (I've got 14 days).
However, it was a bit of a bargain (just under £1500) so I'd like to keep it really (it rides brilliantly), but I don't want to keep it if there is potentially damage done to the motor (Evans have told me it has the 2 year Bosch warranty)

Evans have had to disassemble the bike in their workshop to fit the new Purion display so would have clearly seen all of the metal filings. I really can't get over how anyone could not clean them up and just leave them there! Beggars belief really.

Really disappointed this has happened, I've been saving and looking for the right bike for months.

Grateful for any advice, am I worrying unduly, should I just clean it up and stick with it, or reject it, or complain to Evans and get them to clean it up???

Thanks for any ideas.

Adam

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
well you got 2 years motor warranty and it does not look like there from the motor as there everywhere so could be they just have a dirty work shop id just clean it up and get some miles on it in the next 10 days and see how it goes.

Reactions: bbqforce10

bbqforce10

Pedelecer
Mar 23, 2017
devon
Thanks for your reply.
Should I just wipe it off with a rag or can I use a degreaser (I think I've read about keeping degreaser away from the motor?)
Do you know what grease I should use to put around the crank area?
thanks

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

BazP

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 8, 2017
Sheffield
That's discussing, I'd take it back and tell them to sort it.
Also, I don't know what Evans have been selling these at but my partner bought this bike new last year from James Cycles for £1500.

Jowwy

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2018
Also, I don't know what Evans have been selling these at but my partner bought this bike new last year from James Cycles for £1500.
with the bosch cx motor or with the active line plus motor?? and what battery size 400 or 500??

bbqforce10

Pedelecer
Mar 23, 2017
devon
That sounds cheap for the pro race version with the 500wh battery. The 2019 version (that is virtually the same spec) is over £2500. I paid just under that for mine with trade in discount.
I ended up cleaning the bike up myself (as I didn't trust Evans to do a decent job) and logging the complaint with them (just in case).
I've fitted a slightly larger 17 tooth front sprocket to increase top speed and absolutely love the bike.
As I'm using it to commute on tarmac and light trails I'm thinking of perhaps changing the tyres to something with less rolling resistance and better puncture protection (just in case). Any advice re tyres?

Last edited:

Jowwy

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2018
That sounds cheap for the pro version with the 500wh battery. The 2019 version (that is virtually the same spec) is over £2500. I paid just under that for mine with trade in discount.
I ended up cleaning the bike up myself (as I didn't trust Evans to do a decent job) and logging the complaint with them (just in case).
I've fitted a slightly larger 17 tooth front sprocket to increase top speed and absolutely love the bike.
As I'm using it to commute on tarmac and light trails I'm thinking of perhaps changing the tyres to something with less rolling resistance and better puncture protection (just in case). Any advice re tyres?
i use 47mm schwalbe road cruisers on mine and they are awesome for the commute

jarob10

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2017
Uk
This is typical of Evans in my experience too.

Evans flogged me a new £1k rohloff hub - the box was mangled, half the parts were missing & the hub had obviously already been laced. I told the manager that the customer shouldn’t be their final inspection stage - he just shrugged his shoulders & knocked 5% off the price. The replacement hub I insisted on was only marginally better.

Fortunately my warranty is with rohloff - no way would I trust those clowns at Evans with maintaining a multi £000 bike - they’re either incompetent or simply don’t care about their product.

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
They sound like a right shower of shits

To the OP glad your now happy with your ride

Reactions: bbqforce10

Related Articles

Advertisers