Whoosh ?

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
As it is, 16kg.
if you pare it down (I have fitted lightweight pedals and mudguards but the saddle is heavy), you can get to 15kgs with the 45NM Aikema motor. If you replace the motor with the lighter SX100, you can shed another 1.1kg.

Not really. You need the gears to change the amount of assist because of the torque sensor.
There are lightweight cassettes if you want to shave some extra weight.
If you want something light, it may be better to convert an 8kg bike with the 2.6kg CD Gospade and a 1.2kg bag battery.

Thank you. I've seen the bag ones. Not really interested tbh. Not sure I want that weight at the front.

16kg is just fine. You say the summer is when these are available? Can I ask what is the range. Have you tried the gtech and how does it compare? I like the look of this bike. I like the juicy new ones as well. But would love to do business with someone I 'know' if you know what I mean.

What price do these retail at?

I also see on your website that the big bear has reviews that say its like a moped. I love that but it will just make me lazy. I like the idea of some effort. How does this compare with that?

I'm 6' 4" and just under 100kg. Will your new one fit me?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
range: about 35 miles.
Gtech: I only rode the old Gtech Sport. The new Karoo is more comfortable.
Weight and power: about the same.
The Karoo has hydraulic brakes and 8-speed gears.
I'm 6' 4" and just under 100kg. Will your new one fit me?
yes.

OldManToy

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 4, 2019
Hi everyone. I’ve been looking at the Woosh Karoo but then I saw that pick a few posts back. Is that the new model Karoo? If so then what’s the update on when it will be available to buy? Thanks.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Hi OldManToy,

the new Karoo has been delayed until the Autumn, but the torque sensor kit that is used on this bike will be offered for sale at the end of the month.
Sorry for the delay. It was planned before the EU imposed 43% anti-dumping on Chinese e-bikes, forcing us to assemble our bikes in Southend. As it's a slow learning process, we can only assemble one more model every other month.
The kit parts arrive on May 25th, with 36V 13AH small frog battery for £499, optional LCD £40.

OldManToy

May 4, 2019
Ah, thanks for that. I tried an Orbea Gain locally the other day and after lots of research quite favour the hidden battery style. You mention the availability of the kit but the special frame to slot the battery in is another matter, I guess I'll have to wait but I'm an impatient so and so!
Will there be a point where you have all the parts in in Southend and could sell the whole lot unassembled? Or at least frameset and ebike bits? I'm fine building standard bikes.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Will there be a point where you have all the parts in in Southend and could sell the whole lot unassembled? Or at least frameset and ebike bits? I'm fine building standard bikes.
we usually import x whole sets of components, so can't sell the bike without the electrical parts.
There are small bottles and bag batteries you can buy on aliexpress for standard road bikes.
Here are some that you can get from UPP (unit pack power):

You can build a nice sub 14kg bike with a torque sensor kit (3.5kgs) and a 36V 10.5AH small bottle (10S3P 1.5kgs).

OldManToy

May 4, 2019
Okay, I'll look out for those on your site. I'd still prefer that special down tube that takes a battery but those bottle kits look interesting. I saw the Cytronix C1 on the web but it's sooo expensive!

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh

Andy McNish

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2018
there are many differences between the Carrera and the Rio MTB:

- fork: the Rio has much lighter RST 100mm Omega fork compared to the Carrera 75mm Suntour SRNVX
- crankset: the Rio has modern light and strong GXP crankset with external ballbearings, the Crossfire has old style square taper.
- battery: the Rio has 13AH or 17AH, the Carerra 11.6AH
- motor: the Rio has larger motor.
- controller: the Rio has 17A controller, the Carerra 15A
- LCD: the Rio has 5 assist levels, with user settable profile for each, the Carerra has 4 fixed levels.
- the Rio has a throttle, lights, bell and mudguards.
Regardless of hill gradients, you have to keep pedaling with the Carerra, more if the hill is steeper, you pedal as much as you like with the Rio.
The main difference is that the Rio won't cut out in you regularly and at really annoying times for you entire period of ownership!

'It is known' that you should stay well away from the Crossfire.

The Crossfuse is a good bike if you can get it for around £1300 in a sale mind.

Unless you definitely want a torque mid drive (like the Bosch ALP) and have the money to buy one then Woosh (or similar Brit assemblers) are a good bet.

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
Will the new Karoo support someone who is 100kg?

The website suggest the big bear. But I'd still like a bike that looks like a bike. Hence I'd like the Karoo. But I don't want something that is less powerful than the Gtech.

Edit. Will the new improvement in late May help?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Will the new Karoo support someone who is 100kg?

The website suggest the big bear. But I'd still like a bike that looks like a bike. Hence I'd like the Karoo. But I don't want something that is less powerful than the Gtech.

Edit. Will the new improvement in late May help?
yes. It has an Aikema motor with 45NM torque.

Reactions: Fingers

OldManToy

May 4, 2019
Hey @Woosh , is it your Tongsheng kits you’re referring to above? I took a look at Gospade but they won’t sell to individuals any more. Anyway, back to the kits, do the Tongsheng play okay with either external or square taper BBs. The bike I’ve got my eye on is the Voodoo Agwe, so might try to match that with your lightest kit and one of those UPP 10Ah bottle style batteries. Any thoughts or advice on that?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
my Tongsheng TSDZ2 runs on 48V, keep that in mind.
Other than that, the TSDZ2 would be splendid on your Voodoo Agwe.
I should have the Gospade for sale from August.

OldManToy

May 4, 2019
Yeah I saw the 48v bit. I think I know the advantages but that limits battery choice in the current market a little bit, is that right? You provided a link to those UPP batteries previously, are they sound and just be bought (with the right connector) then just hooked up to the kits?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Yeah I saw the 48v bit. I think I know the advantages but that limits battery choice in the current market a little bit, is that right? You provided a link to those UPP batteries previously, are they sound and just be bought (with the right connector) then just hooked up to the kits?
yes, the battery connector is just two wires, black and red. I usually use 3.9mm bullet crimps and anderson connectors.

OldManToy

May 4, 2019
Great, thanks. And what’s your view on the smaller VLCD6 vs VLCD5 display? For me I’d prefer smaller as long as it’s reliable.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
£949 with 36V 8AH battery, £999 with 36V 10AH.

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
£949 with 36V 8AH battery, £999 with 36V 10AH.
That sounds more than perfect. I can get to you via Southend airport for about 12 pound return.

What’s the weight though mate? Is it over 17kg?

Obviously I’d want the biggest battery.

Edit. I’m more near 17.5 stones these days. 6’4” too. I’d rather buy a decent one this time though. The gtech has pretty much died. Well the battery has. But for laying out 300 quid I might as well treat myself. I’m even thinking the big bear...

Last edited: