Brexit, for once some facts.

50Hertz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2019
Will she name the day today?

I think May is sufficiently deluded to have created a notion that the public adores her and that she is the victim of a Westminster plot. On that basis, she will cling on, rationalising the decision against her belief that it’s what the public wants.

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
Will she name the day today?
I think so, I don't think she has much choice. Graham Brady has a sealed letter in his possession with the results of the vote the 22 committee took with regards to changing the rules about holding another confidence vote in the PM.

Everyone assumes that the result of that vote is that they have agreed to change the rules. So if TM refuses to name a date for her departure then a confidence vote will take place and she will almost certainly lose it. I am sure she would rather leave with a tiny bit of dignity left by naming her own date rather than face a vote of no confidence.

Reactions: robdon and 50Hertz

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I think so, I don't think she has much choice. Graham Brady has a sealed letter in his possession with the results of the vote the 22 committee took with regards to changing the rules about holding another confidence vote in the PM.

Everyone assumes that the result of that vote is that they have agreed to change the rules. So if TM refuses to name a date for her departure then a confidence vote will take place and she will almost certainly lose it. I am sure she would rather leave with a tiny bit of dignity left by naming her own date rather than face a vote of no confidence.
If they are going to change the rules, then change the rules. Playing about with an envelope is a nonsense. All it does is allow a pretence that the rules are x when in reality they are y, if the 1922 mob want them to be so.

50Hertz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2019

But you are viewing it with a sane, balanced and rational mind which is capable of accepting advice and making good decisions. Theresa May doesn’t have one of those.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
In the Guardian interesting observations
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/may/24/disaffected-voters-boost-brexit-party-across-north-west
It seems many people switch off their critical faculties where Brexit is involved as to whom they are supporting
"Claire Fox, the long-time Communist Revolutionary party activist who led the Brexit party campaign in the north-west, sipped her pint and addressed her pub audience: “Politics has come alive!” she said, likening the party to Manchester’s pro-democracy Peterloo massacre. “Let’s get organised and launch a new kind of down-to-earth politics!”
"Nadine Mason, a student nurse who wants to run for Westminster for the Brexit party, said there was bullying. “Every single person in this room has had someone calling them racist, Nazi, bigoted, or that they hadn’t known what they voted for when they chose to leave the EU,” she said. “Women died for us to have the right to vote – us working-class people – but now we’re being told that we’re not bright enough to vote.”

Every single person in this room?, "Women died for us to have the right to vote?"
Great sound bites that supporters will emote with ignoring the reality of their own experiences or that these ideas have actually been impressed from an outside source in some if not all cases.

To be fair if you put your trust in a long time Communist Revolutionary party activist, can you really say confidently you know what you are voting for?

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
In the Guardian interesting observations
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/may/24/disaffected-voters-boost-brexit-party-across-north-west
It seems many people switch off their critical faculties where Brexit is involved as to whom they are supporting
"Claire Fox, the long-time Communist Revolutionary party activist who led the Brexit party campaign in the north-west, sipped her pint and addressed her pub audience: “Politics has come alive!” she said, likening the party to Manchester’s pro-democracy Peterloo massacre. “Let’s get organised and launch a new kind of down-to-earth politics!”
"Nadine Mason, a student nurse who wants to run for Westminster for the Brexit party, said there was bullying. “Every single person in this room has had someone calling them racist, Nazi, bigoted, or that they hadn’t known what they voted for when they chose to leave the EU,” she said. “Women died for us to have the right to vote – us working-class people – but now we’re being told that we’re not bright enough to vote.”

Every single person in this room?, "Women died for us to have the right to vote?"
Great sound bites that supporters will emote with ignoring the reality of their own experiences or that these ideas have actually been impressed from an outside source in some if not all cases.

To be fair if you put your trust in a long time Communist Revolutionary party activist, can you really say confidently you know what you are voting for?
Brexit is like a massacre? Or just the brexit party?

It is not as if people gathered together and said: "I know what will help the working class people of Manchester. Let's have a massacre."

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
It seem so long ago when several of us foresaw a rabble rouser who would inflame the public and end up causing trouble.
Consider for a moment if Brexit goes ahead.

Farage will blend into the background having merged his corporate swindle with the Conservative Party as he plans, thus avoiding any blame when things go wrong, and waiting to pounce when the government flounders and his supporters urge him to act.

The plan he has is simple. He doesn't want the Tory Party to collapse, much better to support it and for events after Brexit to undermine it, so that he can appear as a saviour and bring in the Fascist Spring that Bannon is helping him create.

But we are reminded so often are we not
"The Brexit voters are not stupid, they knew what they were voting for"
And yet they are already allowing Communist extremists to represent them?

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck as the saying goes.
Most incredible of all that no one seems to notice that Farage is consorting with a Communist?

Last edited:
Reactions: robdon and oyster

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland

"And I have in this envelope a declaration of peace in our time".. Seriously if a Harry Potter storyline had that as a scenario,it would be viewed as far fetched.
TM would be fully within her rights to sue the Party for breach of contract. ..and would win. Her colleagues gave her a years contract and they are potentially reneging.
The only honourable course would be for the HoC, probably Labour to propose a vote of no confidence in her, and her colleagues abstain.

daveboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2012
pontefract
"And I have in this envelope a declaration of peace in our time".. Seriously if a Harry Potter storyline had that as a scenario,it would be viewed as far fetched.
TM would be fully within her rights to sue the Party for breach of contract. ..and would win. Her colleagues gave her a years contract and they are potentially reneging.
The only honourable course would be for the HoC, probably Labour to propose a vote of no confidence in her, and her colleagues abstain.
She gets a pension for life and voted the best PM ever (by the Labour party)

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Just found this excellent video made by an individual on Twitter

probably the most telling thing Farage actually said
"Brexit isn't going to solve any of our domestic problems!"
Then what possible justification is there for it?
That was it's entire
raison d'être

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Still on the theme of political failure, I've just been listening to a radio program on devolution. In it a Northern Ireland politician said this about Stormont's Northern Ireland Assembly

"The big advantage of power sharing is that it delivers a continuity that other democratic systems don't enjoy".

Blinkered doesn't even come into it!

Advertisers