Brexit, for once some facts.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That and other things like it wouldn’t have happened without EU funding and then people wouldn’t have the opportunity to experience these places. I imagine the cost of installing those walkways would have been eye watering and a total non-starter as a commercial enterprise. Sometimes things have a greater value than cash, and this is one of those things.
The EU similarly rescues some from foolishness, such as Boris Johnson who stupidly decided a cable car would make a suitable alternative to a bridge as a Thames crossing.

It's become a white elephant, only carrying two Londoners each day, almost only being used by tourists. Fortunately the EU’s European Regional Development Fund contributed EUR 27 000 000 for the 2007 to 2013 programming period, rescuing it sufficiently for it to now be run by a private company with tourist covering their costs.

Yet another reason why I consider Johnson being PM would be a disaster. He cost London billions, I hate to think how much he could cost this country.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
he has a point. Brexit is much more about emotions than economics or international standing of the UK.
The more you try to make people 'understand' brexit, the more you push them toward BJ and Farage,
I was referring to Mr Barclays attempt at an explanation of Boris Johnson deliberate untruths regarding plastic covered Kippers. This was to a radio audience, of cynical journalists ..and it was evident that they were gobsmacked at the type of explanation ..as was I.
They choose not to go after Mr Barclay about the other statement that Mr Johnson would be controlled by Government Advisors on selection as PM. It is evident that like another blond haired politician , he does not take advice.

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
That and other things like it wouldn’t have happened without EU funding and then people wouldn’t have the opportunity to experience these places. I imagine the cost of installing those walkways would have been eye watering and a total non-starter as a commercial enterprise.

Sometimes things have a greater value than dirty cash, and this is one of those things. In this instance the EU has recognised that fact and provided something for people to enjoy. So in answer to your question, yes we do need the EU to do that.
where do they get the money from to do it??

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
It's all such a jolly wheeze isn't it.

Why are they all pretending this lying idiot isn't a lying idiot?
For Boris his lies are euphemistically now to be called called 'communication skills'.

Like Farage, Trump et al all he knows is to come out with any ol' ****** when a camera or microphone cames close as there's many folk wanting to believe it.

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
where do they get the money from to do it??
Same source of funding presumably as the new UK parliament building that will also has high walkways from govt offices to the main building.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Brexit voters must be delighted that their religion is headed by Boris Johnson
https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/boris-johnson-on-varadkar-why-isn-t-he-called-murphy-like-all-the-rest-of-them-1.3960638
Boris Johnson on Varadkar: ‘Why isn’t he called Murphy like all the rest of them’
The new foreign policy formula is simple, Trump tweets and the Tory leadership hopeful jumps

"At the Foreign Office he was heard to muse as to whether Chancellor Angela Merkel had served in East Germany’s Stasi secret police. French president Emmanuel Macron was a “jumped-up Napoleon”. As for Taoiseach Leo Varadkar, “Why isn’t he called Murphy like all the rest of them”.

What could possibly go wrong with Brexit with him in charge?

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
OJ, you simply didn't say what you meant, and I pointed out the ambiguity, once you qualified the statement I agreed with you.
Well so long as we are now in agreement we can happily put the past behind us and welcome the new day.

Or something along those lines.

• Agree
Reactions: oldgroaner

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
If you cast your mind back I asserted that it wasn't worth wasting time talking to the Brexit faithful, they can't be reached.
What is needed is to talk to the rest of the voting population
BJ's supporters reckon he can beat Farage and Corbyn.
the rest of the voting population knows pretty well what BJ is like.
Whichever way you look at it, neither the conservatives or Labour (under Corbyn) is going t win outright at the next GE.

• Agree
Reactions: oyster and robdon

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
At the time of the South Sea bubble in the 1720s a great many companies where created in the City of London to take advantage of investors desperate to invest in anything they thought would make a profit. Many of these companies were fraudulent or had lunatic purposes. One company was created to manufacture square cannon balls.

Another was promoted "For carrying on an undertaking of great advantage but no on to know what it is". After receiving £2000 (a huge amount of money in those days) the promoter emigrated.

This made me think of the Brexit saga, I could just see someone like NF or BJ fronting something like that nearly 300 years ago. Can you just picture NF or BJ with their big smiles and twinkles in their eyes, telling all the gullible desperate people "I am going to carry out an undertaking of great advantage to you all, but I cant tell you what it is".

Who would think 300 years later we are still prepared to fall for all this.

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk

50Hertz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2019
I see that the cost of HS2 is predicted to rise by thirty-thousand million pounds to a total of eighty-six thousand million pounds. EIGHTY-SIX THOUSAND MILLION POUNDS.

This eighty-six thousand million pound investment will mean that if you catch a train in Sheffield at 8:00 am, you will arrive in London at 09:30 am instead of 10:00am. That’s assuming anyone in Sheffield needs to go to London, and if they do, arriving at 9:30 and not 10:00 is critical, and they couldn’t just catch an earlier train, and they are so technology deficient that they couldn’t do a bit of work on the train during the extra half hour journey time.

I’m a great fan of improvement to our transport infrastructure, but I really struggle to see the benefits of HS2, especially when everything else about our transport system is so shitty.

• Agree
Reactions: Nev and oyster

50Hertz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2019
Iran captures two British tankers and our Navy has a hole in its boat. Oh dear, who would ever have predicted something like this happening? We need a politician with rolled up shirt sleeves talking straight down the lens of the TV camera to provide reassurance that Iran isn’t going to kill us all. Anything less and I’m going to panic. Or maybe I’ll just fall off my chair laughing.

Last edited:
  • :D
Reactions: Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Who would think 300 years later we are still prepared to fall for all this.
Wiki has this to say about the South Seas Joint Stock Company:

"The originators of the scheme knew that there was no money to invest in a trading venture, and no realistic expectation that there would ever be a trade to exploit, but the potential for great wealth was widely publicised at every opportunity, so as to encourage interest in the scheme. The objective for the founders was to create a company which they could use to become wealthy, and which offered future scope for further government deals."

Reactions: robdon and Nev

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
Yet another fine overturned for a pro Brexit party.

It's almost like the establishment is against the what the people voted for. But yet again their devious tactics and lies have been shown up for what they are.
£5 of my hard earned money went towards Darren's legal fees to fight that ridiculous decision. Very happy with the outcome.

• Dislike

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Yet another fine overturned for a pro Brexit party.

It's almost like the establishment is against the what the people voted for. But yet again their devious tactics and lies have been shown up for what they are.
No they haven't this single case doesn't cancel the rest, does it, no matter how much you would like it to.
And now your vote has resulted in a complete idiot running your precious Brexit "Youvoted for"
It's almost as if the Establishment is extracting the urine out of the Brexit Voters! :D :D :D
Let's be honest I couldn't think of anyone who will do more to ruin Brexit than Johnson, it's about as good a guarantee of disaster as giving it to Grayling!

• Agree

Advertisers