UK E-bike laws about to change or fake news?

Ebiker555

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 11, 2019
This could be total nonsense, so please don't shoot me down, but I was told by someone in the trade today that the UK are about to change the current e-bike laws to allow for up to a 1000w motor & also allow throttle, however the speed limit of 15Mph still applies.

Has anyone else heard this rumour?

Reactions: LeighPing

Spider

Just Joined
Sep 20, 2016
Notts
I was talking to a guy that works in Halfords a month or 2 back and he said motor wattage was going to be going up though I took it with a pinch of salt ..
Though I have seen some big brand bike manufacturers with 500w motors on uk sites

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
I was talking to a guy that works in Halfords a month or 2 back and he said motor wattage was going to be going up though I took it with a pinch of salt ..
Though I have seen some big brand bike manufacturers with 500w motors on uk sites
Yes, I think it was the same guy in Halfords who said that to me, just after he built up my new Gtech escent bike (pic below)...I think he know his stuff

Attachments

• :D
Reactions: xena and Spider

Spider

Just Joined
Sep 20, 2016
Notts
Yes, I think it was the same guy in Halfords who said that to me, just after he built up my new Gtech escent bike (pic below)...I think he know his stuff
Lol , no it wasn't the same guy . The chap I was talking to does know his stuff but has since moved to another store and do not have much confidence in the other staff so no longer use my local ..

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I think it is current LE1A but requires type approval and all else that it entails.
Flecc for sure will know the ins and outs and this has posted previously about it.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I think it is current LE1A but requires type approval and all else that it entails.
Flecc for sure will know the ins and outs and thin has posted previously about it.
Indeed, it's just a form of the Low Powered Moped class L1e-A for 250 watt pedelecs to be permitted throttles. They have to be type approved by Single Vehicle Approval to get that permission.

But that doesn't make them fully L1e-A mopeds allowed up to 1000 watts, which are emphatically not allowed on any cyclepath, are confined to the roads and have to be registered and number plated, ridden with a m/c helmet and third party insurance.

It's such a confused legal situation I think it's probably a pity that this throttle measure was ever introduced for pedelecs.

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing and Nealh

Jimo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2018
Fakenham, Norfolk
Of course scooters are illegal - but it’s ok for some law makers to flout the Law!?

Jim

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I have seen a number of these on the Swansea Bay cycle path.
There's lots of them about. If they continue in use for many years the law might eventually follow. It happened with pedelecs, after 12 years of being illegal with 250 watts the law changed to match that.

Perhaps not so easy with these though, since they start from being illegal while pedelecs weren't. Also I doubt these will be as individually long lived, many looking quite flimsy to my eyes.

Could be fun with a long cape covering the scooter though, looking like a yellow Dalek skimming along a road. :)

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
There's lots of them about. If they continue in use for many years the law might eventually follow. It happened with pedelecs, after 12 years of being illegal with 250 watts the law changed to match that.

Perhaps not so easy with these though, since they start from being illegal while pedelecs weren't. Also I doubt these will be as individually long lived, many looking quite flimsy to my eyes.

Could be fun with a long cape covering the scooter though, looking like a yellow Dalek skimming along a road. :)
I guess it's the old canard, the users think that they are not using them on a road so it's OK

• Agree

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Halfords still flogging them despite illegallity, now including this one in its 30% off Sale:

Link

They do show a disclaimer on the legality, but not within the web page.

Craiggor 2

Pedelecer
May 30, 2018
Around 100 people stopped and given warnings this uweek after the death of presenter and you tuber Emily Hartridge. TFL saying they want new laws. See the you tube video " police extorting money from e scooters"

Last edited:
  • Informative
D

Deleted member 25121

Around 100 people stopped and given warnings this uweek after the death of presenter and you tuber Emily Hartridge. TFL saying they want new laws. See the you tube video " police extorting money from e scooters"
Whatever next, the police will be extorting money from burglars. Outrageous.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
so a stupid woman on a slow ass scooter gets run over buy a truck pmsl and thats why they dont drive f1 cars :p