more of this please

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
We need an offence of 'walking without due care and attention': to include walkers looking at phones or with headphones that reduce their awareness of their environment. Not quite sure how to include people not actually walking, but standing right in the middle of the path looking at their phones.
point ur brake levers at the floor and just use the handle bar to hit them as you go past prob why my head set bearings was fooked lol :rolleyes:

• Disagree
Reactions: Nealh

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
An offence in law will likely never happen, as the onus is always put on the user of a propelled machine to be vigilant of there surroundings and if necessary stop, until the danger has been passed. No matter whether pedestrian or dog.
TFL/ M of L have made sound bites about e scooters etc being made legal, this will open up many compo cases should a pedestrian be injured or killed, esp on pavement use. The situation has got so bad in London that only recently 'The Met' stopped at least 100 users to explain their illegal use.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
my scooter goes 35mph and if you dont move ur ass out the way i will run you over ;)

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
All valid points but when your travelling at the same speed as a headphone zombie, right up there ass with no space to pass and they still can’t hear your loudest voice, the question of who has the right of way isn’t on my mind.
A cattle prod would be useful o_O;)

Reactions: soundwave
D

Deleted member 25121

I’ve still got a sore throat 24 hours later after the loudest shouting I’ve done since being a child.
Yesterday on a narrow towpath I came up behind a headphone zombie, bell not heard so I shouted “bike coming through” and again “BIKE” “BIKE” with my front wheel nearly touching here heal “FUDGEING BIKE” still nothing. 20ft further on (at walking speed) she moved slightly from the middle of the path, just enough for my front wheel only but it was enough to be noticed! After jumping out of her skin and to one side, I shouted some more about shared pathways and paying attention to what’s going on around you. For two pins I’d have gladly seen her in the canal :mad:
Perhaps she hadn't heard you shouting, try a very loud electrical horn. Or dismount and walk past.

Reactions: jeff St.Clair

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
We need an offence of 'walking without due care and attention': to include walkers looking at phones or with headphones that reduce their awareness of their environment. Not quite sure how to include people not actually walking, but standing right in the middle of the path looking at their phones.
Difficult to enforce, but a presumption in civil law (similar to car seatbelts) that a person clearly not paying attention is 100% to blame for any accident would settle the matter.

D

Deleted member 25121

I know somebody who rides his de-restricted e-bike at 25mph along forest tracks listening to music through his ear buds and having his dog running loose behind him. Madness.
Wait till e-scooters are allowed on pavements, that will be interesting!!

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
You should try the Swansea Bay cycleway. Originally it was the bed of the Mumbles Railway but has now been tarred over and holiday makers think that it is the 'Promenade', despite a white line the whole length with the usual cycle and pedestrian markings.
Walkers just do not seem to appreciate the situation, particularly if they walk on to it from somewhere along its length. Though I have to say that they seem to be learning and I have had less conflicts this summer.
My family and I were holidaying in the Gower area last week and stayed in Swansea. We walked the length and back from the marina to Mumbles on this path. I made a point of telling my kids to keep to the pedestrian bit, but saw plenty of others who didn't meaning bikes had to stop,swerve etc.
It's a beautiful stretch, you are lucky to have it nearby. Looking forward to returning, next time with bike !

Last edited:

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
My family and I were holidaying in the Gower area last week and stayed in Swansea. We walked the length and back from the marina to Mumbles on this path. I made a point of telling my kids to keep to the pedestrian bit, but saw plenty of others who didn't meaning bikes had to stop,swerve etc.
It's a beautiful stretch, you are lucky to have it nearby. Looking forward to returning, next time with bike !
View attachment 31677

View attachment 31678
Glad you enjoyed it.
Pedantic note, but is NOT The Gower, just Gower.

jeff St.Clair

Pedelecer
Sep 5, 2018
Crete
Yes when I lived and worked in the UK, my commute was along a shared route next to a canal ....and the pedestrians were so un aware of anyone around them or behind them it made it very tricky ...I adopted the dis -mount and walk passed with a loud "pardon me "and "sorry can I just "....if I rang a bell people jumped out of their skin and if I didn't I got "where's ya bell "....

Reactions: ebiker99

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Reactions: Deus

therealvicz

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 26, 2019
Telford
Yep, phone zombies, dogs, mobility scooters, prams and push chairs all seem to pass for cycles where I live. Not forgetting tree-root humps, potholes, brambles and nettles that add spice to the ride...