Brexit, for once some facts.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Hmm, but we already have two deals, the good one as members the bad one negotiated by May.
Parliament needs to see what Cummings is up to

Incidentally not a single reader's comment was favourable, far from it.
I can't see how Bojo can get it through parliament.
Half of his MPs want to leave immediately and are against paying any money to leave.
JC only has to vote against his deal to trigger a new GE that he wanted for a long time.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
while we debate on the merits of brexit, India has leapfrogged both France and UK to be fifth world's largest economy.
UK has slipped two places since brexit, currently seventh, Italy eighth.

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
while we debate on the merits of brexit, India has leapfrogged both France and UK to be fifth world's largest economy.
UK has slipped two places since brexit, currently seventh, Italy eighth.
In the event of a No Deal Brexit I wonder what position we will end up in? Out of the top 10 within 5 years perhaps, or even sooner. I don't think a No Deal Brexit will be quite as bad as some people think, but I think it will lead to a gradual decline in our economy and less influence in the world. The country is already many billions of pounds worse off due to the Brexit vote, I wonder how the less well off leave voter is going to feel in say a few years time when their financial situation has probably got worse if there is a No Deal.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
In the event of a No Deal Brexit I wonder what position we will end up in? Out of the top 10 within 5 years perhaps, or even sooner. I don't think a No Deal Brexit will be quite as bad as some people think, but I think it will lead to a gradual decline in our economy and less influence in the world. The country is already many billions of pounds worse off due to the Brexit vote, I wonder how the less well off leave voter is going to feel in say a few years time when their financial situation has probably got worse if there is a No Deal.
I suspect much sooner than 5 years. Sterling is sitting where it is in the hope of a Deal. The number of economies in the 5 to 10 range are closely clumped, were sterling to drop by say another 10%, and drop below the dollar and euro,then the UK economy would be out of the top ten. Since it has already dropped about 20% in the last three years,while still in the EU, this is not far fetched.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I suspect much sooner than 5 years. Sterling is sitting where it is in the hope of a Deal. The number of economies in the 5 to 10 range are closely clumped, were sterling to drop by say another 10%, and drop below the dollar and euro,then the UK economy would be out of the top ten. Since it has already dropped about 20% in the last three years,while still in the EU, this is not far fetched.
I agree, even if we do get a deal of sorts I still see us slipping behind Italy very quickly. With no deal the slide down the rankings will be very fast, since we have so little to export to the rest of the world and our loss of services income will be difficult to offset.

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
You are both still hung up on last centuries exports.

We can't make cars cheaper here or manufacture heavy goods cheaper generally.

But we can lead the world in Media, internet and other 21st century industries.

• Informative
Reactions: oldgroaner

flecc

Oct 25, 2006

Agreed, and that's the point. For much of the world they are 21st century exports.

Peanuts. They cannot begin to sustain this country of 66 millions that needs to import so much. Nor are they an open door, many other countries can easily match us in some of these. Services falls into this area, and there we are going to lose substantially with a no deal departure from the EU.

• Agree
Reactions: jonathan.agnew

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland

There is some truth there, and England plays above its weight class in soft industries like film and tv content .. because of the ubiquitous nature of the English language.. but look at Netflix and you will see major competition from India, Indonesia and China.
But not so in internet. Compare internet access in other countries even in Europe. I was visiting professor at a college in Northern Germany back 20 years ago,and the entire campus was fibre connected. The width and depth of engineering expertise in these countries of China,India,let alone the rest of Europe makes British efforts just cottage industries.
But ask yourself where does your own money actually go... Food, accomodation, travel, entertainment?. You will not be spending money on going to the cinema, when you don't have the money for food,.. multiply that by 60 million.

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
you can't keep the internet based industries here.
They live already on the net and don't pay taxes.
Even coffee shops are registered in tax havens.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015

Can we sell wishful thinking?
More to the point can we eat it?
Fingers we need far more income than they can provide

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
soy boy beta cuck guppy

Thank God we will never need you for you anything important apart from crying.
Who are you referring to with "We"

And this trying to use trendy insults

soy boy beta cuck guppy

""Soy Boy" is a pejorative which is often used in right-wing online communities to describe men lacking masculine characteristics, bearing many similarities to the slang term "cuck". The term is based on the presence of phytoestrogens contained within soybeans, which have led some to conclude that soy products feminize men who consume them.

Beta cuck Alt right Cuckold insult.
guppy. A term often used to describe self-centered bastards.

Fingers do grow up using Alt right insults shows you up for what you really are, and occasionally try posting on topic, there's a good boy.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Our team revealed Bojo's secret offer. It consists of 3 'secret' documents that must not be leaked. So the EU promptly leaked the essence of them.
The Pound rose recently on hope of a deal, quickly sank back on publication of the EU's communique:

It seems that Bojo offers to accept the objectives of the backstop but require that:
a) it mustn't be called a backstop
b) how it's going to be implemented must be left out of the deal
No wonder the EU said no.

• Informative
Reactions: flecc and oyster

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Our team revealed Bojo's secret offer. It consists of 3 'secret' documents that must not be leaked. So the EU promptly leaked the essence of them.
The Pound rose recently on hope of a deal, quickly sank back on publication of the EU's communique:

It seems that Bojo offers to accept the objectives of the backstop but require that:
Not as hopeless as might at first sight!. . I can see possibilities.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015

Your secret is safe with us Boris
Tomorrows right wing press headlines should be amusing

Last edited:

Advertisers