What's the best bike from Halfords or Decathlon?

Hucknallred

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 5, 2019
Hi all, thanks for all the messages from the introduction thread.

As I said there, cycling is a struggle as I get older & electric is the way to go.

The reason I'm looking at Halfords/Cycle Republic & Decathlon is that I can get decentish discounts through work. Halfords/CR I get 8% off & 4% off at Decathlon. Also my OH would benefit from one too, so an extra 10% to be had at Halfords.

Budget is not an issue, but don't want to go OTT.

The website seems broken at the moment so I can't sort or filter, but a cursory glance shows the Apollo brand which can be skipped due to the budget nature.

We then have Carrera which are perfectly adequate normal bikes. I got my son a Vulcan which I am impressed with.

Due to an old shoulder injury front shocks are essential. Hybrid preferably or MTB. No folding or stepthrough.

So we have

Carrera Vengance - no hydraulic brakes
Carrera Crossfire - I prefer hybrid over MTB & it has hydraulic
Lombardo Valderice - never heard of this brand
Carrera Vulcan
The Voodoo models are a bit pricey, what do they offer over Carrera?

Decathlon we're looking at Rockrider or Riverside at around £1k

So for those models are the electrics OK / decent brands? The actual non electric elements of these are more than adequate I'm sure, so it's the electric gubbins I want to be sure of.

Cheers

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Also consider the Raleigh Felix.
The Crossfuse has had good things said about it. (I think it and the Felix have similar Bosch systems).
There have been lots of issues with the Crossfire randomly cutting out ... I don't know if that is now sorted,

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The gearing on that Rockrider looks way too low for normal riding. 38/14 is also pretty low on the Wayfarer. It's fine for a non-electric bike, but can become very annoying on an electric bike's higher average speed. The Wayfarer has standard Chinese electric parts , so at least it'll be easy to repair. I'd be worried about the Rockrider's battery in 4 years time - whether you'll be able to get a replacement.

The Halfords bikes are a little more sophisticated than the Wayfarer, but they're an unknown quantity. The previous versions had all sorts of problems. Only time will tell us whether they've fixed them with these ones. Some of their models have non-standard parts. I've heard of some guys effectively having to scrap their bike because they couldn't get a replacement torque sensor for their faulty one. I think it's always better to buy an electric bike with standard parts that you can get from anywhere.

Have a look at E-bikesdirect and Woosh for alternatives.

Hucknallred

Nov 5, 2019
One other point, if we go his & hers they'll go on my Thule tow bar rack. Weight limit is 45Kg. Are the batteries removable on any models?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Batteries are removable on just about all electric bikes. The only exceptions are those with the thin batteries inside the frame downtube, but there's only about 3 or 4 bikes like that out of thousands.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Most e-bikes have very easily removable batteries.
Another reason you may want to remove them is it's best to charge inside in the winter.

I second vfr400's comment that Woosh might be a good alternative, and that its worth considering bikes with easily replaceable standard (usually Chinese) parts.

Kudos Cycles (http://www.kudoscycles.com/index.php?intro=done&osCsid=rl3269sfdeghhlj1l1vot2cd94) have had some very good discounts on buying a pair of bikes. I don't know what they are like as a company, though. They seem to have had much the same range for ages, with gradually more and more being sold out. It looks as if they may be slowly winding down the business (but ??????)
eg Rapide is £1195 or £1695 for 2.

Last edited:

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
The Lombardo is the one with the Bafang MaxDrive - it's a crank-drive motor, whereas all your other choices seem to be rear-wheel driven. You might also want to consider the Ebco USR55 (hybrid) or Ebco MH-5 (MTB) which Halfords currently have at 30% off... if you're considering crank-driven. Both these are very well spec'd for the money (I see the hybrid in large size has now sold out in about a week).

Hucknallred

Nov 5, 2019
Ebco USR55
Ha, full mudguards with stays & a chain cover:).

Going a little OT here...

In the distant past (1984/5) I was a bike assembler in the long since demolished Raleigh factory 2. Those mudguards were a right pig to fit on a moving conveyor with a bloke opposite doing the bottom bracket. Some of them were considerate but the majority just slammed on their pneumatic jibbyjobber to nip up the BB sending your minute nuts, bolts & washers flying everywhere :mad:

Getting back on topic, I think I'd prefer a crank drive. Pros & cons with both I guess.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Ha, full mudguards with stays & a chain cover:).

Going a little OT here...
You must be looking at the wrong bike... £1099 (deduct your employer discount?)
EBCO-USR55.jpg

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
The Ebco hybrid is rigid fork so a no, but the MTB is suspension.
I'll nip out to have a gander in Halfords now, quite a few choices.
The Ebco USR-55 has TransX headstock suspension. It gives about 30mm travel, which I'm finding perfectly fine on road and trails. Yes, a NEX fork with 63mm and lockout (as my MaxDrive bike has) might have been a little better, but my view is you can't be too choosy given it's a decent crank drive motor with 10-speed Shimano Deore gearing and hydraulic brakes for a tad over a grand. The Ebco MH-5 MTB version has fuller Suntour forks, but compromises on other parts, given it is the same price.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Final advice not to buy any bike with a non-standard crank motor. Stick to Bosch, Bafang and Shimano if you must have one. Only the Bafang can be fixed by yourself. What seems like a bargain now can turn into a dead loss in two years time, or even before that.

Reactions: Audio2

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Final advice not to buy any bike with a non-standard crank motor. Stick to Bosch, Bafang and Shimano if you must have one. Only the Bafang can be fixed by yourself. What seems like a bargain now can turn into a dead loss in two years time, or even before that.
Says the rear-wheel-drive King (whose knowledge and advice I respect enormously - except on this)!

There's nothing non-standard about a TransX M16 GT mid-drive motor, except nobody on this forum knows much about it. And that might well be because no-one has had any issues with it!

Given Raleigh, Diamondback, Ebco and a host of European and American makers have been using it for years (since 2014?), and there aren't many - if any - problems of note found if you Google extensively suggests it can't be bad at all. Even EBR loves this motor on comparable iZip bikes!

As with all the common mid-drive motors, if it fails, it's a dealer issue. But it comes with a comprehensive 2-year warranty and dealer plug-in Can-Bus diagnostics, so, no, I'm not concerned. And at a grand-ish? Where's the problem?

If mine fails, I'll be sure to shout about it here and eat humble pie.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I was just going to say, where in the UK can you get spare parts? I guess you can't unless you know an Ebco dealer. I can guarantee that Halfords don't stock any spare parts for that bike. They don't even stock parts for their own brand.

First, you'd need to diagnose what's wrong with the bike and which parts you need. How are you going to do that without CANbus equipment? Which dealers have that? I've never found one yet, though I know they exist. I bet Halfords don't have the equipment.

Even if you could get parts today, the chance of finding them in the future for such a niche product won't be very high.

They're selling off those bikes for a reason. You'll see that the replacement model already has a different motor. I wonder why?

Hucknallred

Nov 5, 2019
Went to Halfords & spoke to the same bloke who sold my son's last 2 bikes. Very knowledgable. I've booked a test ride on the Crossfuse on Friday, I note that all the Carrera crank motors are Bosch.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
I was just going to say, where in the UK can you get spare parts?
Well, Ebco have their head office in Warwickshire with their own TranzX trained engineer. I'd think that'd be a sure bet for getting future spare parts in the UK.
First, you'd need to diagnose what's wrong with the bike and which parts you need. How are you going to do that without CANbus equipment? Which dealers have that? I've never found one yet, though I know they exist. I bet Halfords don't have the equipment.
The "Can-Bus equipment" comprises no more than a standard PC laptop with a mini-USB to USB cable to connect the bike. The diagnostics software can be downloaded from TranzX own web-site for registered dealers. A dealer I half-know showed it to me, the tests it runs, and the reports it produces. Ebco have 130 dealers in the UK. And Raleigh dealers have access to the same system too. There's a TranzX youtube video showing it and how it works. The manual contains all the error codes that might appear on the display in the event of any fault.
Even if you could get parts today, the chance of finding them in the future for such a niche product won't be very high.
That might be a possibility. But TranzX have their main European HQ in Bad Nauheim Germany. That's no different to Bosch owners, having to send/source replacement motors/parts from Germany, is it?
They're selling off those bikes for a reason.
These bikes are made in China, and I'd guess the new series will be made elsewhere where there isn't an EU import tariff of 83% imposed... just like most other importers now.
You'll see that the replacement model already has a different motor. I wonder why?
I wonder why too, but given the near total absence of any complaints about it, I doubt it's to do with reliability or service. I'd suspect either issues of supply, or maybe it's just easier/more mark-up in selling an e-bike with a brand named motor people more easily associate with/aspire too?

Looking at the link Woosh supplied, a blind monkey with a pozidrive and a ratchet could drop and change that motor in 1/2 hour. So, once outside your two year warranty, a motor (with inbuilt controller) is <£400, a 400Wh battery £270, a display £60. This ebike is already £500 below normal retail, so even if the worst were to happen in a few years time, this isn't silly "remortgage your house" Bosch/Yamaha money is it? I'll wait for the flak...

EDIT: To the OP: The Crossfuse is a nice bike with a number of fans/owners here. It does have better suspension forks than the Ebco, but a less powerful motor (40Nm against 58Nm) and 9-speed Alivio gearing against 10-speed Deore. Hydraulic brakes are the same M315's. And it costs £1700 against £1100 (before allowing for your employee discount). I'm going to get off my soap-box now, and just say (any motor preference aside) that IMHO the Ebco is the nicer, better made bike overall!

Last edited:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Well, Ebco have their head office in Warwickshire with their own TranzX trained engineer. I'd think that'd be a sure bet for getting future spare parts in the UK.

The "Can-Bus equipment" comprises no more than a standard PC laptop with a mini-USB to USB cable to connect the bike. The diagnostics software can be downloaded from TranzX own web-site for registered dealers. A dealer I half-know showed it to me, the tests it runs, and the reports it produces. Ebco have 130 dealers in the UK. And Raleigh dealers have access to the same system too. There's a TranzX youtube video showing it and how it works. The manual contains all the error codes that might appear on the display in the event of any fault.

That might be a possibility. But TranzX have their main European HQ in Bad Nauheim Germany. That's no different to Bosch owners, having to send/source replacement motors/parts from Germany, is it?
These bikes are made in China, and I'd guess the new series will be made elsewhere where there isn't an EU import tariff of 83% imposed... just like most other importers now.

I wonder why too, but given the near total absence of any complaints about it, I doubt it's to do with reliability or service. I'd suspect either issues of supply, or maybe it's just easier/more mark-up in selling an e-bike with a brand named motor people more easily associate with/aspire too?

Looking at the link Woosh supplied, a blind monkey with a pozidrive and a ratchet could drop and change that motor in 1/2 hour. So, once outside your two year warranty, a motor (with inbuilt controller) is <£400, a 400Wh battery £270, a display £60. This ebike is already £500 below normal retail, so even if the worst were to happen in a few years time, this isn't silly "remortgage your house" Bosch/Yamaha money is it? I'll wait for the flak...

EDIT: To the OP: The Crossfuse is a nice bike with a number of fans/owners here. It does have better suspension forks than the Ebco, but a less powerful motor (40Nm against 58Nm) and 9-speed Alivio gearing against 10-speed Deore. Hydraulic brakes are the same M315's. And it costs £1700 against £1100 (before allowing for your employee discount). I'm going to get off my soap-box now, and just say (any motor preference aside) that IMHO the Ebco is the nicer, better made bike overall!
Do you work for Ebco then?

• Dislike
Reactions: robert44